$1,000 and 6 Months to a $300/month AdSense Site

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by Bender Bending Rodríguez, Mar 3, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

I found this "niche" on accident one evening. It's quite hilarious. There's a site that ranks so-so for the keywords. Its a CF23 domain with 170 referring IPs.

3rd party stats show that it gets at least 110,000 to 140,000 visitors/month. I've tested these stats against sites I own and I think they're pretty accurate. The site is also an Alexa 400,000 site, which backs these stats.

This site has to be monetized with CPM ads. I'm estimating a $2 target CPM. If the stats are correct, that'll be $220/month on the low end and $280/month on the high end. Can I get an extra 10,000 views/month to reach $300/month? I think I can.

The target site has at most 150 words on the page. The on-page SEO is OK (keyword in title and H1) but its quite thin in content. It has 16,000 indexed pages.

Basically, a close example would be a site about "Can you smoke $Noun?". Examples would be: "Can you smoke cinnamon?", "Can you smoke plastic wrap?", and "Can you smoke water?".

I'm not kidding.

The ROI on this project is OK -- not the best nor the worse. The hilarity of this project is what sells it. Plus, it's pretty strait forward.

Here's the plan:
    1. I scrape a list of $Nouns and figure out how many $Nouns there is. I then calculate how unique the spintext has to be. I'm guessing that it'll be larger than 16,000 as the target site is quite old.
    2. I buy an expired domain. I found one already. It's CF29 with 364 referring domains. It's still indexed in Google.
    3. I then make the site. The site will rank because it has more words, better on-page SEO, and more links. I'm gonna go with AdSense and, if possible, Amazon CPM ads and any other ad networks I can find.
    The domain is $300. The content would be $150. There's $550 left in case anything else is needed, such as some development work or whatever. I can tell by month 3 if the site should get any dev work.

Because the site's already indexed, new pages should be indexed fast. It should also rank fast too. IMO, after I get the writing, this should be a weekend project.

The only remaining question is: how should the site be organized. At 16,000 or more pages, that's a lot. The target site lists the top 200 pages on the homepage and then organizes everything by an A-Z index.

IMO, a homepage that shows all posts works -- the pagination would count as a long page and all posts would get a link from the paginated homepage... but that's quite messy.

I'm guessing categorizing the $Nouns from A-Z would be good -- it'll let the user search for $Nouns easier.

I'll also have to scrape and insert photos of $Nouns into these pages to make them somewhat useful -- "can you smoke cinnamon?" with no photos of cinnamon would be a lackluster page.

Haha, I'm also thinking about a "smokability bar" where users can rate if its a good idea or not to smoke $Noun. It should be easy to pull off and it'll add to the hilarity.

2. pinchee

pinchee Member

LOL at "smokability bar" - I'm thinking that if you don't know, you probably shouldn't smoke it.

This is interesting to me because I've been thinking about what kind of opportunities would be best for me to spend $500-$1000 in order to create an asset that makes a little money every month. I already have my consulting gigs and an app that I'm building, so I don't really need more projects, but my goal is ultimately to get really good at just paying the right people to build the right things, versus spending a lot of my own time on programming, copywriting, etc. I think that some <$1000 projects would be a good way to start practicing.

I've considered AdSense/CPA/leadgen sites, also simple SAAS, apps, browser plugins, themes... Just letting it all marinate for now, but keeping my eye open for opportunities that are a good fit.

3. Bender Bending Rodríguez

My experience with these $1,000 projects is that, if you outsource it, it'll go overbudget. It's also quite hard to get it done correctly with a contractor since, most of the time, it'll be some new problem to him/her.

I'm approaching this more like a "20% time" project:
    1.) I get to learn some new things such as organizing a 16,000 page site or creating a DB and JS applet for a website
    2.) It's pretty fun and unique; much different than my normal work.
    3.) I get to choose the project!

These projects are actually really fun.

For example, I have a "SaaS" where individuals pay a monthly subscription. When someone subscribes, they are given access to the "SaaS"... which is a contact us form. When they fill out the form, it sends an email to my VA who then gives them the deliverable.

Yeah... that's my "SaaS" ROFL.

Anaconda likes this.
  4. pinchee

pinchee Member

This is my concern. I'm pretty sure that getting anyone that can do even close to as good of a job as I could do myself is gonna cost a lot more than $1k. I've tried training some people to do simple stuff - no luck.

5. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

VA's are probably the next link in my chain too. I've worked with a number of contractors to do minor work, link building, writing ..... on a project by project basis. The frustration is explaining the job and then having it done correctly. People don't use their intuition much so if it's not in the instructions they don't think to ask. I'm sure there are better people out there - and I wasn't paying much either. A part time VA is likely to be on the cards in about 3 months. I was tempted to buy UBot recently but I can't commit the time involved to learn it so that it's effective. UBot would certainly do many of the tasks I will want a VA to do.

6. Bender Bending Rodríguez

I've been looking for someone to go through the list of web 2.0's and bot them with iMacros since December. No one could do it and, this weekend, I'm doing it.

I found out why no one could do it: the instructions were impossible and the developers just didn't report that to me. My bad.

Once again, it was bad leadership that caused the delay, not bad subordinates. Also, leading by example (also called personal leadership or "do as I do" and not "do as I say") is better than leading by words. I'm pretty sure, on Monday, my new instructions for this task to the 2 VAs would be totally clear and do-able whereas, the past developers had no idea what to do (as I had no idea what to do either).

Yup. Humbling.

Golan and Anaconda like this.
  7. Anaconda

I used to use Camtasia to video the process and talk them through it.

8. Bender Bending Rodríguez

... and something weird happened -_-

I have two VAs working on an outreach list of 5,100 sites.

The sites are quite big and the VAs are performing way lower than the 75 sites/hour rate.

One VA reports 40 sites/hour last week and he reported 50 sites/hour today.

Another VA reported 20 sites/week all last week.

She was very confident in her response. Today I told her she's actually working much slower than the other VA and that the other VA will watch her work, critique her, watch to make sure that she understands the critique, and re-time her.

I said that... and its been 22 minutes and she hasn't replied.

I think she's in shock at how poorly she was performing (without knowing it). I also think that she's pretty sensitive and doesn't know what to do. I also believe that she never had much feedback before. Like, she didn't understand that I have to watch her work to make sure she did the task right.

Soo... yeah... she learned something today. I hope that she replies back and doesn't just disappear like other VAs I've worked with (I think they had stuff they weren't able to communicate too and just disappeared as a way of handling it =/ ).

Its 9am her time, if she doesn't reply in 2 hours, I'll check in with her.

Yup! Management!

9. Anaconda

Even with automation doing a consistent 75 per hour, every hour is a big ask. Ending up with RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) is a very real possibility. Do you allow a 5 or 10 minute paid break per hour? Have you calculated that into your 75?

I work in a job where I'm literally paid by a 20 second block of time. To get paid a hour for an hours work is pretty much impossible. Where I win is, I get commission.

Golan likes this.
  10. Bender Bending Rodríguez

^ the 75 domains/hour rate for outreach was obtained from a different outreach campaign where the 50 domain/hour VA reported he did 75 domains/hour (he reported total domains done and total time it took according to his time sheet).

There was nothing automated and his clocking in/out was totally on his own will.

11. Anaconda

once in a blue moon you get someone extraordinary. It doesn't make it the norm. It is difficult to hold focus on a repetitive task over hours, days and weeks - just saying :)

12. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Ok. She replied 10 hours later. She's defensive and restates that 50 domains/hour is impossible.

There's no point in showing her that its possible: she might just deny it. There's also no point in assigning her the work: she's defensive and not willing to do the work (and also not willing to improve on her job).

She was immature for just walking off yesterday and signs of immature were apparent before this task too. Like, she'd do something wrong, I'd tell her its wrong and she'll reply "sorryyyyyyyy" -_-

She is married with a kid but they lives with her parents still. I'm sure she has never lived on her own before. I'm guessing she's emotionally immature.

The right response would have been "Yes, I'd like to improve on this job" or "Yes, it'll be too easy".

She doesn't have the right attitude for this task.

I'm putting her back on the PBN work.

I'm not sure if I should keep on hiring her. She's very unprofessional.

Yup m-a-n-a-g-e-m-e-n-t =/

I get why there's a profession called Human Resources now =/

Golan likes this.
  13. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Yeah, she might not be cut out for grunt work. I think it'll be a good move to just have her take care of the PBN and let her do her own thing. She's also not a team player, doesn't understand the mission, and is very, very childish.

Now... how do I re-assign her to PBN work while keeping her motivated? She's very defensive right now. I basically told her she did a bad job, she's now defensive, and me ending this task and putting her on PBN work would demotivate her.

I can say: "Your time will be better spent on the PBN" :) I think that'll do it.

14. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Hahaha i just realized I posted in the wrong thread! This was supposed to go into the Lessons on Management thread!

15. phrench

phrench Member

If your VA is from a 3rd world country, you have to consider that her PC and her internet connection might be very slow.

So it could very well be that with her setup it's simply impossible to reach the same number as the other VA which might have a setup with better performance.

I'm speaking from experience. Had a slow VA and only when I had her take a screen recording I could see her tiny screen resolution and how slow websites where loading in her browser.

16. Bender Bending Rodríguez

^ Its not that. I give all VA instructions and have them screen cast me them doing the work on Skype before I OK them to finish the job.

Anyways, she's back to PBN work. She's working great in that role so it was the right decision on my part.

17. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Site's up. Just waiting for it to be indexed.

It was indexed when I bought it (as a parked domain) but I think it pointing to cPanel's "this account has not been set up" page for a few weeks caused Google to de-index it =/.

If had set it up earlier, I'd probably save me a week for indexation

18. Golan

Golan Established Member

170 RD, not many. You'll beat them! Keep us updated.

19. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Indexed earlier this week.

Everything's ready :)

20. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Just spent $50 to have the $Nouns scraped from Wikipedia.

So far, its $300 for the domain name, I think $100 for the article, and $50 for the list of keywords. That's $450.