Contest Apex Forum SEO Competition - Who is the Best SEOer? ($17,761.03 in Prizes)

Discussion in 'Announcements, Rules, and Contests' started by cardine, Mar 9, 2016.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

I posted one about a month ago. I'll see if I can get a new one up later today since rankings have changed quite a bit since then!

2. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

Cheers @BigDog for jumping up here with me onto the SEO Retard podium :) I think I take the first place though for the SEO Retard , as 9 weeks have past.

Here are my stats as of now.

Wrong Keyword:
    [​IMG]

Correct Keyword:
    [​IMG]

What that serp dance was from between the 2nd of May and the 10th I have no clue, I changed the onpage stuff 3 days ago and resubmitted all sitemaps and links via google console yesterday, so I'm hoping I get a similar reaction in the serps as you did @BigDog

... likes this.
  3. cardine

Week 10 Rankings!

upload_2016-6-3_17-44-6.png

@SEOManDan, @anthony80, @BigDog, @sites, @dzianis, and @Marc David all had very strong weeks with over 600 points. @anthony80 got 672 points, just barely eeking out @vlachs by one point for the highest score ever for a single week.

The standings stayed relatively the same this week, although @SEOManDan and @anthony80 are still catching up on @vlachs for the first spot, although they are starting to run out of time!

And lastly there is a very tight competition for our last place mystery prize, with @DigitalMarketer taking the lead again from @IrishHound!

4. cardine

Week 11 Rankings!

upload_2016-6-10_19-22-48.png

For the first time in nearly a month we have a new top weekly performer! @anthony80 after having three weeks as the top ranking site has been replaced by @sites as the top ranking site in the contest for the week. After that, @dzianis, @SEOManDan, and @anthony80 were all within three points of each other, showing that things are getting very close down the stretch! @vlachs however is still in the lead, and although he hasn't spent any time recently in the top 10, his earlier dominance and his current top 20 rankings will make it very hard for @SEOManDan or @anthony80 to catch up in time.

Also, our side prize for the best performance over the past 2 weeks started yesterday. So far everyone listed above, as well as @Marc David and @BigDog, are all making very strong pushes for who can have the best finish!

And here is a cool view of the top 20 from the last month for all contestant sites:

upload_2016-6-10_19-41-12.png

IrishHound, sites, Simon and 3 others like this.
  5. Marc David

Marc David Member

Fired up my copy of GSA, got some proxies and sending love my favorite "advice" competitor. Truth is.. they jumped ranks (back in the top 10) since I started.. significantly higher. I do hope if said person wins, they will be so kind as to send me a box of chocolates.

I promise I didn't use any foul or questionable anchor text.

Seems to me.. GSA totally works and it ultimately beneficial.

6. vlachs

vlachs Active Member

Jackass :)))

7. Marc David

Marc David Member

You're back in the top 10. Easily going to win. You know you want to hug me! o_O

8. BigDog

BigDog Member

Damn it! He's in front of me again!

9. Marc David

Marc David Member

Yeah.. I F'ed myself too... he's in front of me.

10. cardine

Week 12 Rankings!

upload_2016-6-17_16-37-39.png

With just one week left, the dust is finally starting to settle. With some "help" from @Marc David (which in my mind demonstrates why negative SEO is a generally unprofitable idea in the real world), @vlachs has locked up first place! So although we won't announce the final winners yet, I'll still give an early congratulations to @vlachs for doing an incredible job throughout the competition, and for powering through the "fun" that came his way throughout the competition!

We also had another prize locked up this week, as @anthony80 has completely locked up the "Top 5" side prize, for the most number of days spent in the top 5. He is currently at 27 days, which is more than double the amount of his next closest competitor. So congratulations @anthony80 for winning the prize that would have likely translated to the most real life money!

Besides that there are still several spots up for grabs. @SEOManDan looks very close to wrapping up second place, but it is still statistically possible that @anthony80 could catch up in the remaining five days. However both of them have locked up being in the top 3 for the final two "in the money spots". So congratulations to both of you!

This week, @anthony80, @SEOManDan, @sites, @BigDog, @dzianis, @Marc David, @vlachs, @Saurabh all finished with more than 600 points and are still in contention for the "last two weeks" side prize. For the final side prize that will be decided next week, @DigitalMarketer seems to have a commanding lead on last place, but it's not too late for someone with zero points to come in and get one day of ranking to take that spot away from him!

11. BigDog

BigDog Member

@cardine can you tell me how the points are working? For instance, if the rankings were checked twice in a day, do we get the first ranking or the last ranking?

12. cardine

@megodon did a good job explaining how she is tracking everything earlier. In short, she gets an email with the rankings from our first scrape of the day, and those are the rankings we use for the contest. We do not consider any later checks, as otherwise someone could continue to click "Recheck Rankings" until they get a ranking they like for their site.

n00b likes this.
  13. n00b

n00b Member

This is really freaking exciting! :) Good luck on all contestants!! Wish i can join on the next contest!! :))

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  14. Marc David

Marc David Member

Bastard "advice" site. I'm gonna GSA myself!? :eek:

It's kinda interesting. While I didn't use any negative anchor text, it wasn't relevant. Nor were the spun articles. Makes me think Link Velocity matters in this case and Google will sort it out. It was a 4 Tier project that was only geared to successfully submit a few per day. So it wasn't blasted in the traditional sense.

Having said that, I do see sites in this contest that are ranking in the top 10 and have been for months with as little as 18 or less domains and just some type of PBN with a longer article pointing to the money site. So the # of links isn't the determining factor.

Reinforces my idea that negative SEO is bull and if somebody nails you and messes up your backlink anchor text profile, in the end it's irrelevant assuming you do have original, relevant, non-duplicated content residing on the site.

To be honest, the "Advice" site is about the keyword and it appears not to be spun, multiple long content pages specific to the keyword. Overall, it should rank in the Top 10. It's precisely the keyword. That to me is the determining factor in the end. Google obviously takes links from reputable sources into account, tosses the rest and with the algo to figures out what the page is about is the winning combo.

So many things being preached today are just bogus. I think the "Advice" site proves a lot of that.

It feel from grace and ultimately is right back where it started where it should be. In the Top 10 and probably in the Top 5.

Should be interesting to see if it sticks after the Link Velocity thing becomes a non-factor once that dusts settles.

AHrefs still found more domains.. so the momentum is still going.

I am no longer running GSA against any sites at the moment.

cardine likes this.
  15. vlachs

vlachs Active Member

Velocity only applies to some cases.

16. Wazza

Wazza Active Member

I am looking forward to the postmortem on how you all got the site ranking :)

cardine likes this.
  17. Marc David

Marc David Member

In retrospect, I should have seen who was ranking Week 1... and just bought their site. In theory, that wouldn't be breaking the rules. It would have been a fresh domain and just a mere transfer of ownership.

Didn't I learn anything from Microsoft or Facebook?

Find the Top .. buy them out vs making your own.

Damn it!

But looking forward, I'd be so embarrassed to pay $1k or way more for a website based on this theme. So I'm good.

Gerry Downey, cardine and cherub like this.
  18. cardine

Final Rankings!

upload_2016-6-23_17-5-32.png

So we now have our official winners!

1st Place: @vlachs
    2nd Place: @SEOManDan
    3rd Place: @anthony80

Side Prizes:

Person who does the best in the first two weeks:
    @SEOManDan
    Person who does the best in the last two weeks: @anthony80
    Person with the most days spent in the top 5: @anthony80
    Person who is ranking the highest 2 months after the contest ends: ???
    Person with the least points (more than zero): @DigitalMarketer

Congratulations to everyone everyone who is listed above! For all of you who did win a prize, we are all looking forward to hearing you post what strategies and techniques you used to help you do as well as you did. Once those are all posted @megodon and I will hand out everyone's prizes! :)

I also wanted to do one more look at the contestants by calculating an "SEO Relevance" score. This SEO score is based on click rate data that show approximately what percentage of clicks each spot gets in the SERPs. So I applied that across the contest and calculated what percentage of total clicks each contestant would have been expected to receive over the course of the contest. So if you have an SEO relevance score of 5.17%, if there were 10,000 people who searched for that keyword you would be expected to receive 517 clicks. So in theory, this number would give the best indication as to who would have gotten the most visitors over the course of the contest:

upload_2016-6-23_17-5-42.png

I'd also like to congratulate a couple of runner ups who had incredibly impressive runs:
    @sites who was within 8 points of winning of having the strongest finish and who did very respectable throughout the entire contest.
    @BigDog who finished just outside the top 3, and did very well in terms of actual SEO relevance.
    @dzianis who managed to finish outside the top 10 in terms of points, while still being in the top 5 in terms of SEO relevance.
    @Marc David who did an incredible job considering he had only 500 points halfway through the contest.

Thanks everyone for making this competition super exciting! I'll continue to post periodic updates for our final side prize, and with all of the participation that this contest had, we'll certainly be doing another one!

19. Marc David

Marc David Member

Congrats to the winners! Awesome job.

Now what to do with this damn site. It's embarrassing. o_O

I have to say... GSA seems to do a fine job of ranking sites quickly and sticking to the top for a good period of time. PBNs work too obviously. So pretty much what worked works and what the gurus say not to do works.. they just want to sell you some other product.

Again.. kudos!

megodon, Gerry Downey and cardine like this.
  20. cardine

If you bought one of the sites and did a 301 to your new site you would have been well within the rules. Maybe against the spirit of the contest a little bit, but at least in that case everyone would have had the same opportunity to do the same thing themselves.