Contest Apex Forum SEO Competition - Who is the Best SEOer? ($17,761.03 in Prizes)

Discussion in 'Announcements, Rules, and Contests' started by cardine, Mar 9, 2016.

Share This Page

1. sites

sites Active Member

Congrats to @vlachs @SEOManDan @anthony80. Especially, @anthony80 for keeping his site in the top 10 for so long.

@vlachs: I'm sure you've learned a lot - not just about the contest. ;) Hope to see you around here more.

@dzianis @Marc David Not only did you compete well, but some of your posts in this thread were hilarious, especially while replying to other contestants!

Edit: Congrats to @BigDog and all others too, who competed well.

@cardine Thanks for organizing the contest. You deserve a lot of kudos for keeping it neutral (I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical when I saw @dzianis, a moderator, as a contestant - until I saw him at the bottom of the rankings for a few weeks and mentally started rooting for him!) and resolving issues amicably throughout the contest.

I will share what I did right, what went wrong (A LOT!), and what I tried out, when I get some time - probably after all the three winners (well, four if you include @DigitalMarketer) have shared their experiences.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    cardine likes this.
  2. vlachs

vlachs Active Member

Congrats to all.

@sites Well, i know i've acted like a diva but only because i had some expectations regarding the contest and rules.
    @cardine I'm gonna post today all the info so prepare my prizes :))) LOL

3. sites

sites Active Member

Ha ha ha. No problems, it brought some much needed entertainment to the thread. Congrats on remaining at the top, in spite of being whacked on the shins by negative SEO for quite some time.

Probably someday we can work on a site together.

4. SEOManDan

SEOManDan Member

Woot woot!!! :) Congrats @vlachs and @anthony80! @anthony80 was making me really nervous coming up on the end of the contest, especially with his impressive 32 days top 5 ranking.

Thanks @cardine for putting on the contest and thanks to all the contestants for keeping it a fun and civil contest.

Oh and thanks @megodon for tracking the rankings of everybody every single day of the contest.

I'll be posting my contest journal in a few days. I need to go through my notes and share all the stuff I did, what I could have done better, and some thoughts and questions. It should be pretty good and would be great if it opened up some more conversation about SEO.

So, we are good to post about the keywords and our contest domain now right? :p

megodon, mbk, cardine and 2 others like this.
  5. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

@vlachs raised a good point that there is still a side prize going on. However with that being said I think since the main contest is over it is an appropriate time to reveal the main keyword, and I would encourage people in their write ups to say what their website is. If someone chooses not to, I'll edit it in once the final side prize is over.

So for anyone not in the competition, the keyword that everyone has been fighting over is "club penguin walkthrough"

[​IMG]

The keyword was picked with the goals of being a low-medium competition keyword that was likely in a niche that I felt contestants were unlikely to already be in, that could be grown into a long term site (for instance making a general "walkthrough" site), had some monetization capabilities, and was as troll-y as possible.

I felt this keyword fit all criteria very well, and I certainly felt a little bit of schadenfreude as I imagined 50 people all being forced to research and write about club penguin ;)

I'm just glad it got the response it did! And @dzianis deserves a lot of credit for staying incredibly impartial throughout the entire process. He went to great lengths to make sure he didn't have a leg up over anyone else.

Diglett, megodon, IrishHound and 4 others like this.
  6. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

cardine, megodon, sites and 1 other person like this.
  7. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

Congrats everyone! The contest was a lot of fun and I proved to myself that some things help a lot - I'll post them into my contest case study thread I think.

cardine and sites like this.
  8. Marc David

Marc David Member

What a volatile day for the CP Crew! Wild swings going on in ranks.

cardine and megodon like this.
  9. cardine

It looks like it's been a good last week for @SEOManDan - although I don't see him there right now, Microsite Masters has shown him as high as #3 in the past 24 hours.

SEOManDan likes this.
  10. SEOManDan

SEOManDan Member

I noticed that as well. :)

11. juggared

juggared New Member

I am late I think. Please tell me if this competition still exists. I want to name myself.

If i can get entry, I can still beat anyone here in the competition. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  12. cardine

This competition already started and ended. We'll be having another one next year so if you are so sure that you'll be able to beat anyone here you can try to prove it when we start the next competition.

dzianis likes this.
  13. John Stover

John Stover Member

Thanks a ton for putting this together @cardine and congrats on all the winners. Loved reading the winners threads. I didn't have time to participate this year, but I'm definitely in next year!

14. cardine

Although most of the contest has been "over" we still had one more prize (generously sponsored by @dzianis) that was up for grabs:

Today is two months after the original contest ended, so I'm excited to say that we have a winner for this Extended Contest...

Congratulations @SEOManDan! Since the original contest has ended @SEOManDan has been consistently dominating the SERPs, and right now he is ranking #2 for the keyword, which is the highest anyone has ever ranked for this keyword at any point during the entire contest.

15. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

Congrats @SEOManDan ! :) Let's get in touch and get your prize going :p

SEOManDan likes this.
  16. SEOManDan

SEOManDan Member

Awesome! Thanks guys! :)

cardine and dzianis like this.
  17. BigDog

BigDog Member

Congrats @SEOManDan!

It looks like I'm destined to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

cardine and SEOManDan like this.
  18. cardine

I noticed that when looking at the rankings too. If there was a prize for doing good enough to win a lot of prizes yet managing to just barely not win any of them, you would have dominated!

19. trangcruse

trangcruse New Member

I am newbie but I am in

20. cardine

You are six months late on this one. We'll be doing a contest again next year, so make sure to check back in 2017.