Content for a PBN?

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by BigDog, Feb 3, 2016.

Share This Page

1. BigDog

BigDog Member

I've been in and out of the SEO world for 7 years now and I'm getting back into it in a big way.

I want to build out a good size PBN for my money sites to come. What kind of content do you guys typically put on your PBNs?

Original content would be great but that would be expensive if your PBN sites had 100 or so pages each. I'm thinking about using content from expired domains that isn't indexed anymore or possibly well spun content. I'm hoping to build my PBN so it'll last years into the future.

2. KS1905

KS1905 Active Member

Use the old content from the expired domains; there are scrapers that you can use for archive.org, start with the previous content and then you can add on from there if necessary.

Anaconda and BigDog like this.
  3. BigDog

BigDog Member

Yes, I just re-read my initial post again and I see I was a little vague. I was curious what other guys thought about using OTHER expired domains content from archive.org to add to their PBN to try and escape the high cost of original content.

4. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Are you asking for good ways to get content for a PBN in general or just specific ways to get content off of expired domains? If it is the latter, I know that @darnoldi tried something similar, although it did not end well for him.

BigDog likes this.
  5. BigDog

BigDog Member

Thanks @cardine for the reply. I was wondering if it was a good way to get content for a PBN in general, now after reading @darnoldi thread, I'm wondering if it's even possible or worthwhile!

6. cardine

I think it is a good way to get content if you are doing it from an expired domain you picked up.

Otherwise I think you will get such variable quality that you might as well (in my biased opinion) be scraping and spinning.

We've been doing lots of large scale scraping lately to train some of our AI algorithms for a new product we are doing and a huge amount of effort had to be put into finding a way to intelligently discard off topic articles and sentences that were scraped from Google searches for a keyword, and the content at the top of Google will likely be far more relevant than the content from an expired domain.

BigDog likes this.
  7. JasonAAO

JasonAAO Member

you run into legal issues with that method though, because you dont own the rights to that content...
    If you are trying to do a long term PBN. I would highly recommend new content, or at-least to try to contact the old owner.

mstchr likes this.
  8. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

so why can't you spend some $ on like 200-300 words of content per PBN site?

Are you building a general pbn or a 'legit-looking' one to support your long-term assets?

cardine likes this.
  9. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

btw new content works better on expired domains and also all of archive.org has been scraped already :) good idea for 2006 doe

10. cardine

I still think that buying a dropped domain and putting expired content from that domain still makes a lot of sense because it just looks like the site is being "brought back" and that domain was the original owner of the content anyways.

Besides that, I agree with you - even with new content showing up on archive.org from newly dropped domains it isn't worth the effort.

11. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

yeah, when you "bring it back" make sure to also fake the reg details to use the previos owner's name, address, etc. and put private who is if that's what it had.

cardine likes this.
  12. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

but goddamn that's a lot of work ^_^

13. cardine

Yeah definitely. Are there any tools that automate the whole process? Seems like there might be a demand for that - both automatically pulling the old site from wayback machine as well as getting all of the whois info. Could make it as simple as inputting the domain name, the registrar API info, and your hosting login, click a button and you have the entire site brought back in its previous state.

14. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

or you could just develop a tool that regs that website and automatically inputs random information as whois.

bringing the site back in its previous state is a major problem because sites can be on different platforms like joomla, html, php, some custom weird code, etc. - restoring old site takes longer + you may run into trouble with duplicate content because chances are - someone has already crawled that site and stole it's once-original content.

15. BigDog

BigDog Member

I'm building some general blogs with a lot of authority and then niche related blogs all to support my long-term assets. I plan on growing my PBN over time so 200-300 words of content per PBN site won't help much, I'm thinking 50+ or so posts per site.

16. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

You just gotta keep in mind that it's only your perception of the situation that 50+ posts per pbn site will protect it from a manual action; i had sites deindexed with more pages than that and some sites that have much less than 50+ pages and are still alive and kicking. The only pbn site I couldn't get indendexed was a 10,000 (unique) page behemonth that no matter what I tried wouldn't get penalized while others fell left and right. So yeah, that 50+ is an arbitrary number really, if it'll make you sleep well at night then go ahead; otherwise i'd just go with 10-30 200-300 word posts and not sweat it. If you run into a manual check they won't be checking for word count :)

17. cardine

I was just thinking taking each page that was indexed and recreating it as a static page.

It would automatically make updating more difficult, but ideally you would slowly add more pages and then at some point later port everything over to make it seem like a redesign from an existing site rather than a new site altogether.

18. jorarulit

jorarulit New Member

It all comes down to ROI - is it better to try to restore a site and make it look like it still belongs to the previous owner and therefore legit? Or can we make 3 more sites during that time and make more money?

Would restoring a site to how it used to be guarantee safety from it getting deindexed or passing a manual penalty? Maybe. Certainly it's perceived to be "safer" than building out a new site with fresh content on the same domain. But how much safer is it comparing to building out a new site with new content? Question is if it's worth the time invested. Again, what if the OLD content you restore to the site has been already scraped and used on other sites?

19. cardine

Ideally it would take no time at all to get the site back just as static HTML pages and add a page or two extra, and you would only switch over to a CMS after the site is already ranking again. In that case it would probably be quicker to restore a site with static HTML pages since it could all be done with a scraper than it would be to create a completely new site.

I still think that old content from the old site being scraped and used on other sites is not a big deal. This is something that might benefit from a case study, but I'd imagine that Google still remembers the first place it saw content even if the site went down for a couple months and in those couple of months someone else scraped and started using that content.

It may also be that there is a time factor as well - if you can get a dropped domain and the site just went offline in the past 4-5 months Google might treat it a little differently than if the content was from 4 years ago where it is clear that the owner didn't just forget to renew the domain.

20. Golan

Golan Established Member

Yes people are using an archived content till now and some with big success. But i'm doing it with a twist. I never use an old content on the same site, always shuffle it between sites. I had quite a few former site owner complaints in the past, don't want it anymore. But if it's good content, why not to use it in some other site in the same PBN, no one will find his content on other sites, and no one cares.

For example, i'm looking for domains for my PBN; i find 50 good domains; but only 15 of these domains have a decent content in archive to use. But from domains i filtered out, i find like 20 more domains with decent content in archive. So i scrape these 35 archives and disperse the content between 50 sites. Something like this.

BigDog and dzianis like this.