Case Study Determining Which Parasite is Easiest to Rank

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by cardine, Dec 18, 2015.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

We have another update for Sunday!

upload_2016-1-4_0-33-16.png

There have been a lot of fluctuations so I'll make sure to post another one on Monday. Interestingly, although the main Twitter we created isn't ranking, the Twitter that we used to index all of the other properties is ranking.

All of the properties I didn't include in this image aren't ranking, although some of them (mainly Daily Motion) have been in and out of rankings.

nanexo, megodon, Golan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Member

Awesome thread.

What would be a good parasite specifically for local seo? Medium seems like the right option for that.

3. cardine

Update:

More updates on rankings for Monday!

upload_2016-1-4_12-7-40.png

As you can see rankings are still fluctuating quite a bit - five of the things in the top 13 weren't even ranking yesterday! I imagine this is because Google is starting to index many of these properties and also Google is trying to figure out what to do with the huge number of properties that have been added to a keyword that didn't have a single page about it only a week ago.

It is way too early to start calling favorites as the SERPs are still in a state of complete flux, but one interesting thing so far is that the video sites and Google owned properties are currently dominating the top of the SERPs.

So far Medium is ranking very well, but since it is a timestamped blog post I am very curious to see if it will stick or not. It might be getting a lot of love from Google because Google really likes Medium, or it might be because Google classifies Medium as more of a news/blog type of property and as a result cares a lot more about the "recency" of a post. So it might be that a brand new Medium post almost always jumps to the top but doesn't stick after a week because Google views the post as "old" now.

I'll wait to see how the case study goes before giving any specific recommendations, but I think that Google+ is a very good option considering how much love Google gives Google+ and that also Google+ is very commonly used for local profiles anyways.

nanexo, Golan, emp and 3 others like this.
  4. emp

emp Senior Member

I can't help but think that this study is flawed in parts.
    As you are ranking for a dummy, i.e. Nonexistent word, the only things we are observing here are
    • does Google index these?
    • how fast are they crawled?
    • all things considered equal, what is the ranking of the parasites compared to other parasites?

Don't get me wrong, this is still interesting data, but we are missing some important elements, mainly:
    • How do these fare in the real world, against competition for existing keywords?
    But don't let me distract too much, just the list of sites alone is gold.

Tl;dr
    Me being too scientific, carry on.

::emp::

5. cardine

Answering this question is what I would consider the primary purpose of the case study.

For this question...
    Just by observing real SERPs we know that each of these parasites fare well in the real world. Nearly every parasite we are testing is from the list generated a couple weeks ago, which were the properties that showed up the most across 2 million SERPs.

So we know that these parasites all rank well in the real world, because we have seen them rank well in the real world. I could have decided to do parasites for a more well known keyword, but decided on a zero competition keyword for the following reasons:
    1. Each parasite could have the exact same username (the main keyword) so that none were given any advantages or disadvantages due to keyword relevancy. Any medium competition keyword will likely have some parasites with an exact match, some with a partial match, and some with virtually no match.
    2. Additionally this would also prevent us from worrying about one parasite competing against another parasite from the same domain name. We wouldn't learn a lot if there was already a Youtube video for that keyword (with who knows how much SEO directed towards it) and that outranked our Youtube video. For many of these parasites it is a "winner take all" when you are pitting two pages from the same domain against each other.
    3. We would have more of an opportunity to see how sites did directly compared to each other - a site that is ranking #21 could easily be ranking outside the top 1000 for a very competitive keyword and we would have no way of knowing Google likes that parasite more than another parasite which wouldn't be ranking #21.
    So if we start with the assumption that, with a targeted SEO campaign any of these parasites can rank for a decently competitive keyword (which can be proven true by just looking at SERPs and seeing these domains ranking) then the question we should be asking is "which parasite should we spend our time ranking?" That is the question that I am trying to answer in this case. I'm trying to remove as many external variables and factors as possible to make this as controlled of a study as possible, and doing a dummy keyword seemed like the best way.

emp likes this.
  6. emp

emp Senior Member

Hmmm..
    I agree with all of that.

Question then is what to do with them... I love to use them as supplementary to my sites.
    I love stuff with dual use eg YouTube - rank on its own and embed for nice multimedia content.

7. emp

emp Senior Member

This also does not hurt your own site.

Case in point:

I have a site selling leads for intragastric balloons (it is a thing, look it up - balloons in your stomach so you don't eat too much, fat boy)

I took a 5 part video series from a German girl, in which she outlines her experience and embedded those in the site, along with a short description, etc.

This helped my ranking, but the video series is still ranking in the range of #15-#20 (my site ranks #3-#5 for related KWs)
    (I did not open my own channel, tho, just used the videos).

This is also why I said that pure parasites might not rank when pitched against real sites... but.. most youtube channels are very poorly optimized, so there is that.

sites likes this.
  8. cardine

They are great for churn and burn - Google trusts these domains a lot initially so it is very hard for them to snuff out spam, and when they do it is much easier to bounce back as you can just create a new video/post/profile.

They are also great for flooding an entire SERP, just Google "microsite masters" and look at what percentage of the top 20 are parasites. This also makes them great for reputation management.

You can also use them as high quality Tier 1 properties that can prop up an authority site, pay their own rent (by actually ranking and directing real people to your authority site), and not look suspicious (it doesn't look weird if a whole bunch of social media sites are all pointing to the same authority site).

sites and emp like this.
  9. emp

emp Senior Member

Yep, good that.

10. cardine

More ranking updates for Thursday!

upload_2016-1-7_18-0-6.png

As you can see there is still quite a lot of fluctuations. Blogger (blogspot.com) made its entrance into the top 5 after not having even been in the top 100, and everything else is continuing to shuffle. The only constant ranking so far has been Youtube (although even the channel page has been unstable). I was originally planning on starting to build links next week but I'm going to continue to wait until the rankings start to settle a little bit before doing anything extra.

emp likes this.
  11. emp

emp Senior Member

I was wondering about blogger not appearing before. In my experience, blogger is a very good tier 2 property. Google ranks it nicely and quite stable, too.

12. cardine

Yeah, something I've noticed so far is that Google is giving a lot of love to the properties it owns. In a crowded field, Youtube, Google+, and Blogger are all doing very well, and are all owned by Google.

darnoldi and emp like this.
  13. emp

emp Senior Member

Exactly.
    Sometimes it seems you can get away with a lot on blogger, too.
    I had splogs killed almost immediately on WordPress.org, but they've lived indefinitely on blogger.

sites likes this.
  14. cardine

More ranking updates!
    upload_2016-1-12_13-19-1.png

Things are starting to stabilize a little bit (you can see there are very few changes from the rankings from last week, and most of them are secondary pages leaving the top 100) so we'll start building links soon to see if things are shaking up. Throughout this whole thing without any link building it looks like Youtube, Medium, Daily Motion, Slideshare, Google+, Twitter, and Pastebin are the parasites that are consistently doing the best. We'll see how each one does once some links have been built.

Before we start building links if anyone has some input on what type of links they think would be good for a group of 28 sites like this I'd love to hear. Otherwise I think I have a couple ideas for what to do.

15. Donace

Donace New Member

Interesting study, would say looking at the list, links from social media will be biased perhaps. So not sure what link source would be as "neutral" as possible that would be "scaleable".

16. emp

emp Senior Member

This is fun... but what is sitting in spot #3 now?
    Especially as this is nonsense word?

17. cardine

More rankings!

upload_2016-1-15_15-57-59.png

Although there are some small fluctuations (the Pastebin paste left the top 100 for a day) it has mostly stabilized with the current crop of sites. At this point I'll be building links to try to shake things up again.

Auto generated database sites like Wordsanagrams.com and WhatStandFor.com - both of which look like they are owned by the same person. It looks like they generated a page for every X character long phrase of letters (here is their page for myccp) to capture traffic from people entering junk keywords like this one that have basically no competition.

emp and dzianis like this.
  18. cardine

Update:
    I've been talking with a couple link providers and am getting ready to blast some links at these parasites. These links are going to be completely automated, generally low quality Tier 2 links, which should be fine since there is little competition, and all of these sites have a lot of authority behind them anyways. It's also the most cost effective way of getting lots of links to ~30 different sites. Orders should be placed very soon, and I'll update once they are.

In the meantime here are more rankings:
    upload_2016-1-18_16-10-30.png

There are some interesting inclusions that I don't think will last - namely the Spanish Mobile site for the slide that was uploaded to slideshare, the specific status posted to the Facebook page (although not the Facebook page itself) and the tweet used to index the Github page.

Bonus Yahoo/Bing Rankings
    upload_2016-1-18_16-0-37.png

Yahoo/Bing are unsurprisingly slow as usual, and the results here aren't that different than Google (just a lot less of them) - the only interesting exclusion is that there are zero Google properties ranking on Yahoo and Bing, while on Google there are three.

emp and Simon like this.
  19. cardine

Update:

After a week involving me getting the flu and me getting snowed in, I'm now back with another update!

I've just finished placing orders for links for every property so we should hopefully start seeing things shake up a bit more in the next couple of weeks. The links being built aren't super high quality, but that shouldn't matter considering the authority each of these parasites has as well as the complete lack of competition this keyword has.

In the meantime we have even more rankings:
    upload_2016-1-25_17-50-47.png

For the first time about.me has shown up in the SERPs and is currently sitting at the #2 position. And it took us almost a month, but we're now finally at the point where almost the entire top 10 is filled with parasite properties that we created, and still no links have been built yet.

BigDog, emp and RZa like this.
  20. cardine

Update:

Some of the links have finished being built so I figured I would do another update:

upload_2016-2-1_14-43-23.png

The results don't seem that different yet, although there was some movement over the weekend with sites like Myspace and WordPress making brief entrances and exits in the top 50. In general the rankings have stabilized quite a bit compared to a month ago. In my next update I'll post a graph showing the fluctuations since the case study started for each parasite. Until then I'll be waiting until the rest of the links get built to each parasite.