Did I Buy a Crap Expired Domain?

Discussion in 'Apex Lounge' started by Marc David, Oct 28, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Marc David

Marc David Member

I did "some" due diligence but maybe not enough. I'm 2nd guessing myself.

The PA/DA/old PR looked good. Nothing looked horrible but upon further investigation.. I don't know if the backlinks are all that good and seems like this domain had a ton of "questionable" retail driven subdomains.

Anyway...

Did I buy a decent domain or a POS?

http://emecomachines.com/

Haven't done anything with it yet except slap up WordPress with a cool photo of a bumblebee.

2. mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi Member

Well it's certainly not good, but it might not necessarily be bad. Spammy backlinks aren't the end of the world. I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for it though.

Put it in Google WMT and see if it has any penalties.

3. Marc David

Marc David Member

I just paid for a 2 year registration... I didn't bid or anything. So it's not a big loss at all if it turns out poorly.

Good idea on the WMT. Hate to give Google more of my info but that's a sure fire way to see.

4. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

lol I wouldn't have bought that domain. It has tons of bad signs:
    • domain name is "something machines" and yet the first archive.org result is a japanese site about acne
    • there's tons of designer anchors and pages
    • there's CF... but only 3 copies of archive.org (which is surprisingly low for the amout of links it has)
    If it gets indexed, you've salvaged whatever value is there. If not, it's -$30.

5. Golan

Golan Established Member

This is your mistake. You should investigate backlinks and anchors when evaluating a domain, not any metrics.

6. mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi Member

Ah alright, that's good. Well if it does turn out it's penalized/deindexed by Google, you can probably use it for a Bing site. In fact it might even be primed and ready for Bing with all those spammy backlinks. Although I guess it'd be primed and ready for... Jordans, Crocs and Louis Vuitton... lol.

7. Marc David

Marc David Member

Thank you for the help.. I recall being rather hasty in my purchase because my Ahrefs had reached it's limit. Nothing looked crazy in Majestic and the CF/TF didn't look horrible.

Added it to WMT and it's not penalized.

8. emp

emp Senior Member

Is there any good guide for this?

SEO Due Diligence for Dummies?

::emp::

9. Golan

Golan Established Member

You need paid account (or trial) at either Ahrefs (my preferrable) or Majestic.

Check that there are no (or very little) spam backlinks nor anchors.
    Check that there are enough good backlinks. Open the strongest referring pages and locate the link in the page code.

Then check in archive.org that there was no honest shit at this domain in some point.

Well and check site: , if the domain is still indexed it's a nice bonus.

That's all, you don't need any guides.

10. n00b

n00b Member

its always better to check history and domains backlink profile.. others will follow from anchor text to domain seo metrics..

make sure those backlinks are real and looks legit and has social shares as one of the foundation of a good domain. learned this the hardway lol!

trust those guys above they know what their talking about.