Newbie Question Gaining traction for a new income stream?

Discussion in 'Building Your Business' started by I'm Unstoppable, Jul 23, 2017.

Share This Page

1. I'm Unstoppable

I'm Unstoppable New Member

Hello everyone.

I want to gain traction to explore more income streams. To add more context, I'm a young recent college grad striving to live the dream and do what I love.

I want to use UpWork to get clients, experience, and a new stream of money. I'm being patient, because it's only been a week.

I ran out of credits, and I cant apply for anymore openings. I have a decent cover letter, a short sampling of work, and some had some interviews that led to nothing- for now.

How do I change my approach? What do you recommend?

I'm willing to provide more info.

2. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Places like Upwork are very hard if you don't have an established reputation, which creates a chicken and egg situation when you first start out. Nobody will take you because you don't have a reputation which means you can't build a reputation.

I think when starting out you have to underbid on products and deliver incredible results. You'll probably be breaking even (or working for peanuts) but you'll be cheap enough that someone will be willing to take the risk for you and providing enough value that you'll get a high star rating. Then once you get a couple ratings you can raise your rates to what you would normally charge and you'll find it is far easier to get new clients.