Guide How I Make Money Ranking Junk Sites on Yahoo and Bing

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by cardine, Dec 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

I have a group of 5 sites that I haven't touched in the past 4 years. I haven't built links and I don't even remember the login info for the sites. One of the sites has only four pages. By almost all definitions, these sites are neglected, dead sites. Yet, something incredible happens each month - Google sends me a check for over a thousand dollars. For advertising on these 5 sites that I spend 0 hours on. If you were to calculate my "hourly rate" based on those sites it would be somewhere around infinity dollars per hour.

Now some of you have fond memories of this being the case for you as well before a certain Google update. I can think of dozens of people off the top of my head who used to share this same "4-hour workweek" lifestyle. Not a single one of them is still living it. They either had to work their ass off to start making ends meet again, or watched their savings account slowly dwindle away before moving back to their mom's basement. I'll admit, I was hit by Penguin. I lost several so-called "authority sites" and a significant amount of monthly revenue. However, these 5 garbage sites kept puttering on, making me plenty of passive money.

What Was So Special About Those Sites?
    Nothing. These sites were low quality garbage sites that were each thrown together in the period of a day. Their backlinks were low quality and all the same anchor text. They had ads everywhere. They hadn't been updated in over a year. But they were still ranking for several money terms... but not on Google. A couple of these sites aren't even indexed by Google. But that doesn't matter. Each of these sites is ranking for a couple money terms on Yahoo/Bing and those money terms are enough to make me a nice passive profit. And I don't need to worry about Panda, Penguin, or any other animals.

Wait, Yahoo Sites Can Really Make that Much Money?
    It is true that Google has more search volume than Bing and Yahoo, but not by as much as most people think. Combined, Bing and Yahoo have slightly less than half the searches that Google has. But if it takes less than half the time to rank in Yahoo and Bing (which it does!) then it makes more sense to go after Yahoo and Bing than Google.

[​IMG]

To give you an idea, one of the sites I have makes $1,200/mo. That site is ranking #2 in Yahoo/Bing for a keyword with 6,400 exact match searches and #3 for a keyword with 7,500 exact match searches (numbers from Google's Keyword Tool), and some other longtails. The two keywords have an average CPC in Adwords of around $0.50. So, contrary to what many people think, you do not need huge volume keywords to get a lot of search volume in Yahoo. However I do make sure to pick keywords that are very commercial; all of the 5 sites are for very "affiliate-y" offers.

Not Sure? Here's a Quick Way to Check if a Keyword Will Work on Yahoo/Bing
    This might be obvious to some, but the easiest way to check if a keyword is worth going after is to go to Bing Ads, create a campaign with the keywords you are going after, and see how much search traffic you get. This will let you quickly figure out if a keyword is worth pursuing (and how easy it is to monetize the keyword). For each of these 5 sites, I did this and knew exactly how much I would make by being #1 on Yahoo/Bing before I even started doing SEO!

Ok, So How Do I Rank These Sites?
    Yahoo and Bing are very similar to how Google was 2-3 years ago: very easy to rank for. The number one thing you should do is to get an exact match domain for the keyword you are trying to rank for. If a .com is not available, I usually go for a .org or a .net. Yahoo/Bing still have a very strong bias towards exact match domains, and spending a lot of money on buying an EMD is almost always worth it. Once again, if you are trying to rank on Yahoo/Bing, get an exact match domain for one of the primary keywords you are trying to rank for!

Once you have an EMD (or a partial EMD) most of the hard work is done. At that point all you have to do is send links to that site like there is no tomorrow. Social bookmarks, private blog networks, forum profiles, blog comments, it doesn't really matter. Just send links and lots of them to the homepage.

And then, once you've sent all of those links all you have to do is... wait. Yahoo and Bing are sometimes painfully slow at indexing sites. In the past I've often created an SEO site, and in the time it took to rank it on Yahoo and Bing it had already ranked on Google AND had already been penalized by Google! Sometimes as a result of this I'll target other peoples EMD sites that have already been penalized by Google, get them for incredibly cheap, and then send tons of links at them to get them ranking on Yahoo and Bing.

Has anyone else done anything like this? I'd be interested in hearing other peoples success stories (or not success stories) regarding doing SEO for Yahoo and Bing!

JimKata, shaqattaq, xepa and 11 others like this.
  2. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

While working on some aggressive quick-rank projects (parasites, EMDs) I've noticed that Yahoo and Bing rankings are following Google's with about 2 months' delay. Once the site gets slapped in Google you can go check Bing - and it'll be right up there on the front page.

Just checked a "free website"-type parasite on Yahoo in a certain beauty niche - #3 for the main keyword (Bing #2).

[​IMG]

It's nowhere on Google by now though and here's how the backlink profile looks:

[​IMG]
    Yeah, naughty I know but the run was totally worth it :p

The site was on the first page of Google in August-September and the offer made about $500 per week. Now, at #2 in Bing it's getting 1 click a week and zero sales.

Tl;dr - ranking on Bing and Yahoo seems easy and sorta "comes by itself" but it's probably not equally good for all niches. I'm yet to see my own site make at least 5% of Google SERP's income with Bing/Yahoo.

3. cardine

Yeah I've noticed that Bing/Yahoo traffic is very niche dependent. The niches that I had the best luck with were very "affiliate-y". Weirdly one of the niches that was making me money from passive Yahoo/Bing traffic for the longest time was ringtones. I guess the type of person who still thinks you should download ringtones online is the same type of person who can't figure out how to change the default browser to something besides IE :p

shaqattaq, Golan and rh hassan like this.
  4. cardine

Not that this is a particularly hard keyword to rank for, but here is another live example showing how much Yahoo/Bing still prioritizes exact match domains:

upload_2015-12-23_16-24-21.png

So far virtually zero backlinks have been built to Apex Forum, and Google still has not given us any love (although I'm sure that will change very quickly over the next couple of weeks). However Yahoo/Bing managed to get Apex Forum ranking top 5 before a single bit of marketing was done - I think literally the only links that even existed at that point were from our Twitter and Facebook pages.

As @dzianis noted, Yahoo/Bing usually lag behind Google by a couple months, so the fact that Apex Forum ranked on Yahoo/Bing immediately and still isn't ranking on Google should speak to exactly how much Yahoo and Bing value EMDs in their ranking algorithm.

goal, jaranen and Simon like this.
  5. Raisen Espinosa

Raisen Espinosa Member

I almost died laughing.

Good share. Maybe that is why GSA are still working useful.

cardine likes this.
  6. youknowwho

youknowwho Member

I think it will be cool if you guys can share how you go about doing the keyword/niche research for these sort of sites . I have put together a "garbage" site to milk out on some Adsense revenue with 100,000 words of WordAi content proofread by a native writer(so its very readable ) . The thing is though, I haven't done much onpage or links.Its making a dollar a day and its not ranking on Bing/Yahoo either .Ideas ?

7. Raisen Espinosa

Raisen Espinosa Member

The basic keyword discovery research. This will do. All the keywords here are all related, therefore it boost relevance to your website category for example "weight loss" as your seed. On your CSV file, delete all are not related or applicable to your website. Use one of the keywords found here on your page title, one keyword article title (H1), one keyword on H2, one keyword on internal links, one keyword on content and one keyword on each navigation title. Insert the keywords on your content as natural as possible.

Video: Well, that's all. The rest is self intuitive. I use Jaaxy to find my main keyword as my page title and url, the long-tail highly targetted keywords.

8. babuni

babuni Member

Visitors of some countries only believe Google. I saw site ranked in first 3 position in yahoo and bing for the desired keywords do not get any visitors at all. Certainly this has happened for local ranking.

Moreover, to rank i yahoo and bing does not need any special attention if you try to rank in g you will automatically rank on those search engine.

9. cardine

Yeah for Yahoo and Bing it is very niche specific.

A decent strategy might be to do greyhat EMD sites for keywords that get a lot of traffic on Yahoo/Bing and then just use Yahoo/Bing as an insurance policy in case Google ever penalizes the site.

Raisen Espinosa likes this.
  10. Simon

Simon Member

What kind of niches would you say do well in Yahoo/Bing?

11. mikeshinobi

mikeshinobi Member

Uhh, don't listen to this cardine guy, no one uses Bing because it's totally lame! Please continue focusing the entirety of your SEO efforts on Google :eek:

Thank you!

12. Simon

Simon Member

You aren't fooling me :p

13. cardine

In general the niches that appealed to less tech savvy users did very well. Ringtones did very well for me (and still do surprisingly well), as do bizop and antivirus niches. There are many others as well but that should get your creative juices flowing a little bit.

14. goal

goal Member

Mine is digital camera, and high-value collector's items. Higher conversion rates on Bing.

cardine likes this.
  15. xepa

xepa Member

Are there any good tools to get demographic data for a keyword? It would be nice to input a huge list of keywords and see which keywords are keywords that people using internet explorer are more likely to search or even just what keywords are more likely to be searched by old people.

returntrip likes this.
  16. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

Interesting post @cardine I have noticed what your saying about yahoo and bing, but my case is for ranking a persons name in a specific location "rep management," in Google after 3 months there has been no real improvement which is really strange because no one is targeting this keyword but me :( and on yahoo + bing I have all ten spots I know it will get there eventually in Google. Your after sparking up my interest on y +b never really focused on them at all :rolleyes:

17. CharlesFloate

CharlesFloate Active Member

Great post, glad I stumbled across this and signed up :) Sorry for the late reply, I tweeted the post out and you liking it reminded me to join!

I've been keeping my penguin/panda hit sites since 2013 now, and even though the traffic numbers are normally pretty small.. Every site's been paying the hosting and domain reg bill a good few times over.

I've also found that this technique works great for niches targeted towards the older generations, I had a sewing site hit by penguin but it's still getting a good few hundred bucks from the Yahoo and Bing rankings - Even my own grandmother still uses Yahoo..

Anyway, great to be here, I've always been a fan of new forums and the design on this one is pretty flawless, so well played! Looking forward to future pieces like this one :)

cardine and megodon like this.
  18. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

Well @CharlesFloate howdie Gerry here not sure if you would know me, or remember a comment I made on the facebook BHG at xmas, if you don't it was about black hat seo/marketing and I made a comment about how all I saw was really good content marketing, anyways long story short it was a legit question that was supposed to lead to another conversation, that was until I was taken out and stoned to death for the blasphemy of even saying it. Lol I was half sloshed and had to turn off the computer before I made a scene I'd regret the next day :oops: Any who If you do remember I wasn't trying to be a prick I was actually trying to get into conversation with ya about posts yourself and Greg had made a few days before, stril do if that's possible :)

19. CharlesFloate

CharlesFloate Active Member

Can't really remember the post all that much mate, but I'm sure it's fine - I make a point to not remember arguments or debates, just stops future business from taking place in which you may benefit..

From what I remember, my reply was something along the lines of "Who said I can't do content marketing?" ^.^ And actually, I can.. In fact, if you've read my blog, you'll see I'm alright at it :p However, it's long, time consuming and not worth it when it comes to my bread and butter: Affiliate.

If I wrote a 15,000 word super guide on the best XXXXX, I'd probably make a good amount of money from those properties.. But because I can make 15 x 1,000 word guides (that I don't have to even write) and make a hell of a lot more. I go down the lazy mans route :) + Isn't it always more fun to "stick it to the man" and f%$k with Google? I at least get a bit of a buzz when Mr. Cutts says something and I do the complete opposite and make some money in the process.. Bit of a SERP Junkie I guess!

Gerry Downey likes this.
  20. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

Ahh you hit the nail on the head there buddy precisely the topic I was looking to get into, can we fire up an email or two and see if I could be a fit to talk 000's