I love debating SEO

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by John Hernandez, Dec 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

There are so many authorities on SEO its not even funny. I can link to 20 different "the right way" SEO sites without even thinking about it. But what a lot of these sites do not provide is all the little tricks we learn along the way.

I think that I have been studying and tweaking SEO for the last 6 years and so much has changed, stayed the same, and simply become extinct.

I know there are guys out there who have been "SEO Hackers" since the age when keyword stuffing a page actually worked. And gibberish would rank 1 on page 1 of Google if you wanted it to, but those days are gone and I really entered the game after that.

There are some cool things though, not written in your average SEO guides, that you can do on anything, whether it be a blog or your own evergreen site.

One of the ones I love is internal linking for the specific purpose of directing attention to pages that, for some reason or another, you can't rank for crap.

I have had more of these pages than I can count. I have tried everything on them to be honest. I have pushed almost anything to page 2, but that might as well be page 500 for any real use of my own.

But what I do, so that I can get more organic traffic to them, is find all the pages I have ranked on page 1, even with different keywords, and point to those pages in some way that is highly relevant and long tail preferably.

Though to be honest, I have a ton of affiliate blogs that I randomly link to pages I want to be seen. But these blogs are not my "main sites" so it doesn't worry me much.

Its simple enough. I have some competition that I can't rank this page over, it just won't happen. So I analyze them a bit, and then find my other pages that are ranking, and push some long tail keyword juice towards those pages I can't rank on page 1, whether they are on page 2 or 789.

The results are greater than you would think when it comes to a traffic increase to those pages.

In an affiliate niche, it wouldn't be like direct PPC results, but it would be more organic traffic.

A couple things I would also like to mention are probably routine for everyone, but they are simple, forget about keyword stuffing descriptions and use awesome ones, and the second is feature "so-called competition" to get link juice.

People still seem to think that keyword stuffing descriptions or having crappy descriptions with keywords works.

The logic behind this is that if you rank your page/site and people see that keyword highlighted, it must make them click on it.

It makes some sense, but with average statistics, people do not click on it because the keyword is in the description.

They would rather click on the one that ranks but has a great description and is relevant to their search.

Featuring for link juice is simple enough, and I am sure that a lot of people on this forum and many others has done it shamelessly, as do I.

Pretty much, if I have a dog massaging site (which I don't but if I did) then I would look for high ranking dog kennel sites, dog washing sites, pet sitting in general, and so on. Then I would find the higher ranking ones and create a "star spangled" article stating they are my favorite places in the world. Not a crappy "oh these places are great" article, but one with a ton of thought and creative writing unfolding like I want to marry those sites.

I would link to them (follow, not no-follow), and then email them all and tell them about their feature. That way they can link to my site with at the end of one of their articles or something similar.

I would definitely talk to them like my article was better than having 50 good reviews on Yelp.

Speaking of which, having good reviews on Google Plus, and so on is fantastic for business and eCommerce online. It helps in a lot of ways psychologically, I even use that on affiliate blogs.

In any case, that is my two sense for now. I will probably post more later.

2. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Something that I've started to realize more and more is that people doing SEO have found a method that works for them and then they instantly think that is the "right way" of doing things.

The best way of ranking for a long tail with a parasite is nothing like the best way to rank a churn and burn for a competitive keyword which is also nothing like the best way to do SEO for a big whitehat authority site.

Whitehats look down on blackhats, blackhats look down on whitehats, and anyone who isn't doing exactly what you are doing just doesn't get it. I've seen those sentiments uttered over and over by people on all sides of the SEO spectrum, and to me that is just digging your head in the sand. It is ok to go after one specific way to rank your site and master it, but no matter what your SEO philosophy is there are small things you can learn from any successful SEOer.

Doc Sheldon and John Hernandez like this.
  3. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

Definitely understood. I tend to shy away from a given "opinion" on the "right way".

One, because I don't have one. I have seen so many things work and fail that I have no opinion on that. I do have an opinion on the "general" foundation for everything, whether black, white, or grey area.

Outside of that though, I have seen people do some off the wall ranking and they work, for that specific thing, or for many things. They wouldn't work for others, but definitely my stance is no stance.

Do what works, stay away from things that Google will literally wipe the floor with. Find out what fits your current bus you are driving, and then kick things that don't.

I think that another thing I have done is stay away from "SEO guru" groups. Anyone who thinks they know it all, usually doesn't know it all.

I do love talking to people about it though.

I don't even mind when an idea I have is turned down because it makes no sense. Of course I can't stand people who flame, but great positive and negative feedback is healthy.

amon likes this.
  4. amon

amon Member

Exactly! Agreed with SEO! Even I am trying to learn SEO... But everyone has their way of doing SEO. Some are doing the old way, and some are doing new way. When I first started to learn SEO, I was like what is SEO history how the things were before and hard now. I See most of the people who dont go back to old days of SEO cannot learn much about what SEO is actual. Before the SEO expert use to tell each and everything openly as compared to now when SEO expert wants us to buy more from them to get to know about SEO.
    It's been only a few month since I got interested in internet marketing and getting to know about SEO. I am still in learning the process. I try to do SEO myself, but I don't know where I am doing wrong. Most of the time I find it boring to do any SEO, then spun articles and other reason.
    I hope I find someone who can explains me the way I want to understand what SEO. We need that one in million of courses that can say what make you understand SEO better.
    Recently I bought an SEO course, and they tell us how to rank quickly up in the SERP. There are still ways when most of the people now understand what real SEO is. The secrets of ranking up your site.

The best trick that I was struggling for many months about SEO is what i am going to share with this community. The trick is you can still rank up in search engine with accumulated contents. I didnt know that it is not important to have a unique content. You can still rank up on google with duplicate contents.

I hope this was helpful for newbie like me

John Hernandez likes this.
  5. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

You are definitely right there.

One of the things you mentioned was that you can rank with duplicate content. Technically you can, but for those of us who want to build an evergreen site, or something that we know we want still on the internet in a few years, we don't want duplicate content (necessarily an entire article, where quoting is fine) so that the quality of our website is higher, even if it takes longer to rank.

The other thing I saw was that you stated SEO is boring. LOL. It is for a many of people. Really. But there are times when you can be working on a site that you really enjoy, you like the topics, you like the site, it might even be a hobby of yours, and you would notice that working on that site is more enjoyable, even in SEO.

Keep it up, learn the solid basics, things you are always going to do automatically, and then from there, learn everything you can. If its boring it will suck, but imagine if you can just bring in a nice solid 1K a month off of a site you put hours into and now you don't have to do that anymore?

amon likes this.
  6. amon

amon Member

You are at that position in your life where you already have tasted that 1k a month. I am still struggling to make 1 dollar a month. I am trying to do everything myself. My main problem is that I have a lot to say but just because of my English people make fun out of my articles.
    If I go and hire a writer in beginning no one can afford the cost. You don't know what it is like to be at some place where you can start to earn. How soon you will be beginning to receive. But I think we have to grow rather than staying at one place. I am trying to learn a lot of things not just SEO. Back in May 2015, I started my journey where I wanted to make a website where the model comes and register. Where companies would come and hire models through my portal. So, I searched online and found a website that is already doing that. Modelmanagement.com. So, I said maybe that site is made on WordPress. If I get to learn about WordPress, maybe I can create a website like that. So, I will advertise my website and then get models to registers, photographers to come by and register and companies will hire those models online. Then I registered myself on wordpress.com for a free blog. I wanted to learn, so I got hands on free youtube videos about WordPress. There I found that we can buy readymade themes online. That was again something I wanted to try but for that, i need to have a wordpress.org with hosting and domain. But before that domain and hosting, i need to understand how to operate WordPress platform. So, day and night I watched a ton of tutorials and tried on the free blog. Then I got to know about WordPress plugins, so I got interested in that and tried to search videos on those plugins. From there I said okay need to have a hosting and domain. Then from there I finally purchased my first hosting plan That was about 150 dollars. Then while downloading free plugins and WordPress themes, I said okay got for a theme that you want to use. I searched for some theme on making a job site from there I landed on Fiverr thingy. I searched through there and found they someone can make me a website. So I learned about fiverr, and there I find so many services on various types. So, I landed on something call SEO, which will rank in Google search engine. I learned There was something called SEO there by which we can earn. So, I searched about sEO on google and from there I landed on warrior forum. I then saw so many courses and WSO people are selling. I said okay let's start from somewhere, so I paid $15 to SEO lady on warrior forum which I thought is more beneficial than fiverr gigs, as they are offering only $5 worth of product. Then I google about what SEO do, so I landed up on keywords. Then when I searched for keywords, I then move forward to find some high traffic keywords that i learned about in youtube video. So, the first order which purchased was on highly. Competitive keywords which are impossible to rank...

Opps Its way too long... Should I continue here or shall I pass?

7. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

Don't worry about length here or English anywhere.

I teach English to Spanish speaking students every Saturday.

What I teach them to do is literally study how someone writes articles in English online. Because English is "backwards" from Spanish (in Spanish we say car red, and in English we say red car) I ask them to read it aloud to themselves and see how descriptive words are used, as well as how sentence structure is used. To them, it always sounds retarded.

But in any case, here is a trick for writing in English when you speak a different language. Say you want to write an article on microwaving foods instead of spending hours cooking. Find other articles and recipes, and then see how they wrote it. You don't want to copy word for word, so what you try to do (especially if you find that you have to translate) is write what you can in English. Then talk to people who speak "native" English, and are from an English speaking country. As friends, on Facebook, whatever.

Then ask them if they can proof read what you wrote, not all the time, and not always the same person. You don't want to annoy them.

Say you are writing it to learn better English, or for some online writing contest, whatever.

Ask them to 'correct' it, not just give you back a good copy.

Just like in school (for any language class) make comments in word, circle words with paint, whatever. It will help you have a great article, and you will also learn great English that way.

Plus "USA" English speaking people love to be superhero's. They feel proud when they help someone do something.

Its not taking advantage of them... but.......

amon likes this.
  8. amon

amon Member

Rather than finding that friend I am user of Grammarly.com
    I pay every month 10 dollars just to see how many grammar mistakes I do when I write anything.
    It's correct to find friends who can proofread your sentences. But now a days everyone is too busy to have those kindda friend.
    Thanks for your reply john

9. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

No problem, and yep, people are busy, but you would be amazed at what you find when you simply talk to a bunch of people on Facebook.

I will give you an example. A nurse in the US usually works around 12 plus hours in a day, especially on call. But that same nurse finds the time to spend 4 hours a day on Facebook. What?

LOL.

10. amon

amon Member

Yea you are right. I get online on IMVU.com if you heard of that social platform. You design your avatar and then you meet new people there who are from europe mostly. I used to spend hours chatting with girls. Its fun maybe I should go back to that. Hahahaha

11. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

Great idea, especially the girls part. Though my wife would shoot me if I did that. LOL

12. amon

amon Member

Hahahha...You can be online on that with your wife though :p
    You should, at least, give it a try or maybe you can search online. You can do a lot of things there like hugging, kissing, getting bullied by other girls, getting a slap for your nasty comments, or cuddling other avatars. Well, it is better to screw girls virtually rather than in real life :p hehe
    We men sometimes need this kindda break from our life; we are not machines or robot. We also have few things to say to a girl or try learn few new pickup lines ehh:p