[Journal] Growing A Money Site Network To $10,000 A Month!

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by shaunm, Apr 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. shaunm

shaunm Active Member

[​IMG]

Zero Backlink Domain Word Counts

Added Today = 3931
    Month To Date = 19,508
    Total = 87,174

Average Word Count Per Post = 1,142

Listened to Audible, finished book of the five rings.
    Updraft seems to have corrupted on my zero backlink domain somehow. Reinstalled it and it seems to be taking backups without issue again now.
    Ran out of ideas to write about for my zero back link site so I did some keyword research. This next batch of articles will actually be based around keywords rather than just my themed articles theory. I have kept the competition to what I would class as low when building my old style sites. They are a mix of how to, best of, review, and general information keywords.
    Deleted a bunch of projects from my rank tracker to clean it out. Screenshotted some stuff I wanted for a possible future video on the random ranking factor.
    Went to the gym.
    Typed up a few informational articles for the zero back linking domain.

2. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Wow, I would think that would be enough to get decent traffic coming in for a site.

I'm wondering if it would matter if you had a different setup for your site.

What does your site structure look like?

Site Structure

With Siloing there are basically two schools of thought. You have the mainstream "Bruce Clay" silos where the main page is more like a general overview of the topic and the supporting silo pages are more specific deep dives into the topic.

Then you have the more swarmy Russell Wright daisy chain silo where the main page is [exact keyword phrase] and then the two supporting pages are [exact keyword phrase] + one word. This is really designed to try and get your site to rank for very specific terms at the expense of becoming an authority on an overall topic like you do with the more traditional silos or topic clustering.

Some people swear by just putting your target keywords into your blog categories (3-4 categories) with a 150 word description for each category. That way all the posts automatically link to the category pulling the category up in the search engines.

Then you have topic clusters. You have broad pillar content that link out to more specific supporting pages. Then those pages have supporting pages that link back to the first supporting page and to each other. Then you just repeat the process.

What about your bounce rate? Are you adding a related video to each page?
    Are you going after low competition keywords? (Longtailpro below 30).

Be cautious with keyword tools. I found most have extremely inaccurate keyword competition estimations. It matters a lot more when you can't get good backlinks to a site. Something like Seocockpit would be completely worthless if you can't get any traffic.

3. shaunm

shaunm Active Member

I just use regular internal linking to relevant articles, I don't really believe in SILOing the way it is preached. There have been a few decent posts on Reddit calling Bruce Clays claims out saying he over exaggerates the befores and afters of his techniques.

I think longtail pro is a total waste of time too if they havent upgraded it since I last used it a few years back. When I tried it, its metrics all came from the Moz crawler and as we all know, the Moz crawler is inferior to AHRefs and Majestic so it misses a bunch of URLs and gives inaccurate results.

My zero backlinking domain is upto around 210,000 words now but i'm not really expecting anything from it until July-September time due to the Sandbox.

4. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

I see this hyperbolic post calling him out. Yeah, he probably left out other stuff they did to get those results. Doesn't mean there isn't a benefit in having a proper site structure.

From my experience making sites around longtailpro keywords their competition analysis is pretty good. Far more accurate than SeoCockpit or Keyword Revealer. My criteria for judging is actually being able to get sites ranked in the top 30 without any backlinks (and less than 15,000 words of content). With longtailpro I can get them within the top 30 (some within the top 10) fairly shortly but with Seocockpit and Keyword Revealer I couldn't get any of the keywords they spit out within the top 100.

5. shaunm

shaunm Active Member

Don't think I have even heard of the other two, for this latest batch I have been comparing my own keyword research method that I used for my black hat stuff with the AHRefs too to bank over 1000 keywords for my main project right now. Hoping for decent things but time will tell.

How long does it usually take for your traffic to pick up and normalise on your sites doing them the way you do?

6. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

It takes a while. First it takes 2-3 months for it to get into the top 100 for some of the keywords I'm targeting. I assume this is the sandbox period. Then slowly over the course of a year the sites traffic will pick up as my site bounces up and down and slowly starts to climb up the rankings. That's with some sites. With others it just sinks like a rock and never gets any traffic. That is with the daisy chain silos and a link from the homepage for money pages. I haven't done any sites with topic clusters or silos the way Bruce Clay does his silos. I would do two supporting pages with the exact same keyword phrase as the target page and that would help boost keyword pages I was trying to rank for.

If you want get out of the sandbox I would try this. Do a manual stack with 20 different properties and get them indexed, but don't do any FCS or GSA blasts on any tier.

7. shaunm

shaunm Active Member

I would imaging its around the same time frame the way I have built my old sites but I went by their traffic lifting off and normalising rather than entry into the top 100 so it took around four-six month depending on the site. Expecting this new site to take longer though as I am not building any links to it at all, just pushing out as much content as possible.

8. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Looks like you already tried siloing. If you tested it and it didn't work out then there is nothing really left to say.

Looking through your seo site I was very impressed with all the testing you have done and the different methods you have tried out. I think looking at your site and all of the stuff you tried gave me a better perspective on how everything is progressing. Seems like things are working for you as good as they should be at this point.

I was going to start doing PBBNs and wrungs like Russel Wright suggested, but I was a little weary of using duplicated content. I figure I might eventually try your bridge network method. If things go south I can just delete the domains and hopefully bounce back.

The sites you used the bridge network for didn't get penalized did they?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. shaunm

shaunm Active Member

They did but one of them has bounced back pretty well and one of the is slowly climbing back but i'm focusing on my zero backlinking domain these days and anything the old sites make is just gravy.

Slymeasy likes this.