Journal Journey to passive income from Yahoo/Bing

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by Simon, Jan 7, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Simon

Simon Member

Hi. Simon here. I read Cardine's Yahoo/Bing thread and it intrigued me a lot. Mainly because Google is annoying the hell out of me and I want a easier time on bing/yahoo. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond then be a little fish in a big one.

I picked a niche. And, did some initial keyword research. Main kw is roughly 10,000 searches and long tails range from 20-100 searches. Got about 8 long tails at the moment that are worth going for. Combined searches for these kws are about 13,000 searches.

There's a EMD for the main kw. So I'm about to grab that and start getting to work.

At this stage I'm at keyword research phase. Bing just recently released their keyword tool which looks like Google's one. Which makes it a lot easier because their webmasters tool doesn't even work on me. I had to talk to support and they referred me to bing intelligence for looking at search volume..

I got bing ads intelligence tool which allows me to look a little deeper and see the search demographics of the kws. (Thanks Bing Customer support!) That way I understand a little bit better about my audience. You get to know gender, which state they are in (most of bing traffic is usa), and the age demographics. Really useful stuff.

There will be more updates to come.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    xepa, mbk, megodon and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Member

Time for a update.

Put the niche with the 15k searches or so on hold. Decided to go with 2 initial kws that would total up to 200 searches a month. They are local keywords and my intention is to do lead generation for these sites. Bought a ranking package on BHW and the site is currently fluctuating at page 2-3 for the keywords. Package cost 50 bucks.

3. ...

... Established Member

Is that 200 searches a month from Google Webmaster Tools or Bing Webmaster Tools?

4. Simon

Simon Member

Neither. It's from Bing's Keyword Planner.

dzianis likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon Member

I'm on page 1 for both terms now. Good to see that the package worked. Let's see if the rankings stick. I'm position 2 for the main kw and position 5 for the second kw. Site is pretty crappy too.

Once the rankings have stabilized I'll begin the process of renting the sites out.

cardine likes this.
  6. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Great to see you're ranking well for it! How much traffic is the keyword getting now that you are ranking?

I know this case study is mostly for ranking on Yahoo/Bing but are you getting any decent results with Google as well?

Also is your hope later to use these pages/sites as a basement to then rank for the keyword with 15,000 searches? Or is this site going to be mostly a stand-alone site?

7. Simon

Simon Member

If you include both kws the average monthly traffic is 200 searches. Made the silly mistake of not adding Google analytics so I have no idea if the site is getting traffic. Just installed it.

Site's doing poorly in Google. It's currently ranked at page 9-10.

This is going to be a standalone site as this site is local oriented.

8. Simon

Simon Member

Ranking has stabilized for main kw at this point. It's sitting at position 2. The second kw went from position 5 to position 3. There's a giant bing local that's making it not visible, but there's results above that that have outranked the bing local. Will request the seller to do another blast at that keyword. He's been kind enough to do a blast if the kw isn't on page 1.

Beginning to contact relevant people to see if they'd be interested in buying leads. The next update will detail my failure/successes on selling leads.

megodon likes this.
  9. Simon

Simon Member

No major update other then the fact that I'm looking for a nice theme to go with the site. Site looks pretty crappy at the moment. Asked one of my irl friends to handle the selling for me. He says he's interested if I make the site look better. There's some traffic going to the site but it's international. Not sure if it's spammy traffic or real.

http://imgur.com/FUskDrc

The seller that I bought the package from revealed his methodology on how he does it on BHW. It's a great read. Highly relevant for those who are interested in ranking on Yahoo/Bing.

http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackh...w-comp-keywords-bing-yahoo-page-1-5-days.html

10. Simon

Simon Member

Here's a update. I put the local site (its position 3 for main keyword) on hold and set up a new amazon affiliate site that is targeting a 1400 monthly search volume keyword. I got a nice article written from iwriter, installed genesis theme, and made sure it was a EMD targeting the main keyword. I ordered social signals and a 30,000 link GSA blast to it.

Here's the math: Average commissions are 1-3 dollar. Assuming a 4% commission (conservative scenario of course the commissions will go up as more sales occur) If 300 people buy from the site then I can make 300 dollars a month. (assuming dollar commission) Those numbers will go up as my 4% commission goes to 8% as more sales occur.

Anchors are 40% exact match anchor, 40% generic, and 20% naked. Serplab is telling me that the site is already on page 3 on Yahoo/Bing. GSA blast should give some significant rankings.

cardine likes this.
  11. Simon

Simon Member

Rankings seem to have stabilized for the new site. The keyword that I'm targeting for the new site was given to me for free. It's showing up on both search engines now if I check manually. With just the EMD alone it was position 23 on bing and its now position 14 because of the gsa blast. On the Yahoo side it went from position 24 to position 9 after the GSA blast. Ordered an additional 20,000 GSA blast with the same anchor ratios as listed above. I expect that the rankings should improve significantly within a few days. My plan afterwards would be use to SAPE links if that doesn't put the site at position 1. Social signals haven't been delivered yet. Total cost so far for the new site is 28 dollars. The local site is 100 dollars.

What I've noticed is that despite Bing serving the search results to Yahoo - the results are distinctly different. I think both search engines have slightly different algorithms despite one feeding the other with the same data.

If you're wondering why I have put the local site on hold its because its not in the ideal ranking positions that I want it to be at. So, I left it alone and wanted to focus on something that could generate me some cash flow with less effort involved. Going the affiliate route is what seemed obvious to me that could get me some cash flow in my pocket. I also want to see the effects of the GSA links on the local site as a way to gather some data.

If this site generates some cash then I might go after another keyword that I feel is attractive. I'll get around to creating the site mentioned in the first post as I think it might be low comp after all. But what would be wise would be to dominate the keyword and set up 4 other sites to grab more positions in the top 10.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  12. Simon

Simon Member

A mistake that I made was tracking rankings for desktop traffic. Turns out a lot of these Bing/Yahoo keywords have significant traffic from mobile devices. You can check these stats in Bing's Keyword Planner. So, I set up tracking for mobile devices and it turns out I'm position 14 and 15 for Yahoo/Bing. 70% of the keyword's traffic comes from mobile devices. Will be waiting a few days to see if rankings remain flat or improve/decline before I decide to throw more links at it.

One thing that I'm struggling with is knowing what keyword is low competition on Yahoo/Bing. I'm pretty much assuming that if a keyword is low competition on Google - then surely it must be low comp on Yahoo/Bing. Cardine mentioned in PM that there isn't anything special about doing keyword research for this search engine as most people aren't optimizing their sites for Yahoo/Bing. Another, question is if I should avoid keyword that have a EMD ranking highly on Yahoo/Bing already. Perhaps, I'm overthinking these things and I should set up more sites and throw a bunch of links at it.

I intend to start a third site.

cardine likes this.
  13. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

That's interesting. I'm wondering if that is keyword dependent or if Bing in general has more mobile searches. Bing is what Siri uses, right?

If you have the exact EMD and the other one is a partial EMD I would view that as a good thing - clearly pushing a ton of links to an EMD has proven that it can already work for that keyword. But I think for a lot of these, the best way to figure it out is to go in and just do it. Checking competition (at least with metrics and tools currently available) only gives you a loose idea at best anyways. So I think just going out and doing it and developing your own intuition for what is easy or hard will prove more useful in the long run.

Simon likes this.
  14. Simon

Simon Member

It's been awhile so here's a update. I haven't given up.

There's 4 sites total.

1. The site is local oriented. It is on the first page and constantly fluctuates. Hasn't stabilized.

2. Second site has tanked because of a single SAPE link straight to the site. Got removed from the SERPs completely. I left it alone for awhile and found a way to bring it back from the SERPs, which I'll explain later.

3. I created a third website that had about 1k searches a month. I sent about 90k gsa links and it ranked on the bottom first page of Bing/Yahoo. I wanted to see the effects of a 301 redirect from a expired domain with good metrics and see how it would effect rankings. This domain provided a decent amount of link juice and increased rankings significantly for different money site of mine for Google. I redirected it to the Yahoo/Bing site. There was no ranking improvement for a few days. When I removed the redirect it got wiped from the SERPs.

4. I created a 4th website that also gets 1k searches a month. What was unique about this site, is that it didn't rank at all initially. I sent 10,000 gsa liks to a shortened url and it ranked on the middle/bottom of the first page on Yahoo/Bing. I sent an additional 20,000 gsa links and now I am ranked position 1 on both search engines. I'm position 1 for mobile devices as well.

What I've noticed is that link building provides a faster feedback loop for Yahoo/Bing. Today was the day I had my gsa links delivered for the 4th site and today is when the site got position 1 for the keyword. This is different from Google's delayed rankings. With Google, you might have to wait weeks or even months to see your links take effect. This is not the case with Yahoo/Bing.

An interesting flaw I found to recover sites that have disappeared from the SERPs is simply to re-submit the website to Bing Webmaster's tool. I've recovered the sites that got punished from the sape link and redirect. The rankings are worse now. The second site is now page 3-5 now. The possible reason is me not renewing the sape link. Still, this gives me a second shot to get these sites ranking on the first page. If your rankings got wiped away from Bing/Yahoo, then it's recommended to re-submit it to Bing Webmasters tool for indexing. There's a high chance that it will come back and rank. Here's the link: http://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-url

The third site has returned to its original state which is page 2. It had a brief moment on the bottom of page 1 but the redirect is what messed it up.

The 4th site is the most successful one as it's ranking position 1 on both engines. This site will probably bring me sales now if the rankings are sustained.

I haven't made any money because of some unfortunate luck. The tiniest little things can mess up your rankings for Yahoo/Bing. Let's hope that the 4th site will finally bring me some sales. I'm planning on creating more sites. If I keep on cranking out sites - some will fail and some are bound to succeed.

I've nailed down the process of finding low competition keywords for Yahoo/Bing. I'm mainly copying the BHW thread that details how to rank on Yahoo/Bing but it's working good for me. I'm utilizing low inanchor and cross referencing it with Keyword Revealer. Some manual research is done on the top 3 results to see the kind of links that are being built to the site. Sites with the lowest inanchor are given the highest priority and have a high probability of a site being built.

There's a keyword that I found that has low searches on Google but a really high amount on Yahoo/Bing. This is a common trend that I've been seeing. It gets 300 searches on Google but 5000-8000 searches on Yahoo/Bing. Interesting. Doesn't fit the inanchor requirement but ranking this keyword can bring in a lot of cash. This is a keyword that I'd like to target in the future.

I'll update this thread as I gather more data and results. I won't be giving up because I know I'll succeed eventually.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    przamunda, Anaconda and cardine like this.
  15. Simon

Simon Member

Just a small update. I was wondering about the effects of submitting sites to the Bing index. If it could recover sites if it was wiped from the SERPs - could I make Bing re-consider the site again?

There's a period of time where rankings are volatile. After, that it settles permanently. I want to see the effects of re-submitting to Bing Web Masters. Will it fluctuate again? Will it be volatile and be worse off? Or, will it be volatile and you'll gain a couple of spots? I picked a random keyword and chose a random site to experiment on.

Ordered content for a 5th website that has 1k searches a month and only 4 inanchor. The site where the redirect failed originally ranked on the bottom of page 1. It had about 250 inanchor. The site that's on position 1 on both engines has about 43 inanchor. (I'm also getting organic traffic to this site now. About 20-30 visitors last time I checked. No sales as of now.) There appears to be a correlation between having a lower inanchor and the keyword being easier to rank for. I predict that this site will be easy to rank for.

I've also identified a keyword that has 7000-9000 searches that has about 70 inanchor. There is a high probability that this will be the 6th site.

I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of keywords. I'm willing to give away 5 keywords for anyone who is interested in ranking for Yahoo/Bing. 1 per person. PM me if you're interested. They will fit the criteria of low inanchor and having some form of search volume.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Anaconda likes this.
  16. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

17. przamunda

przamunda New Member

Love this thread!

18. Simon

Simon Member

Update.

First site is suffering in rankings. Bottom of page 1. I have done nothing to it.

The second site that has recovered from re-submitting it to the Bing toolbox has been wiped from the SERPs. It has never recovered ever since.

Third site is on bottom of page 1 and fluctuates a bit.

Fourth site where the site is on position 1 finally made 5-6 dollars worth of commissions yesterday. This is the first sale for that site. I don't expect I'll be getting much sales from this one.

The fifth site has ranked nowhere in the SERPs despite having 10,000 GSA links sent to it. It's indexed but has ranked nowhere. I'm probably going to send another 10,000 to see if I can breathe some life into it.

I created a sixth site that has about 5000-10,000 searches a month a few days ago. Only the about us and contact us pages were indexed so I proceeded to noindex them. I'll be sending a batch of links to see if the site will be indexed and ranked in the SERPs.

The site that I randomly picked for re-submitting to Bing has gained a few spots permanently. It used on the top of page 2 but now in the bottom of page 1.

Somewhat frustrating to not get the results that I expected but I'll keep on trying till I succeed.

cardine likes this.
  19. Simon

Simon Member

Fourth site has made me 20 dollars total in Amazon commissions.

Additional 10,000 links was sent to the fifth site. No effect on rankings.

10,000 links were sent to the 6th site and is now ranking on the 4th page of Bing/Yahoo. I'll be sending 30,000-50,000 more to boost its ranking significantly.

I'll probably send PBN links to the third site to boost its rankings higher. Still on the bottom of page 1.

I'm also taking a look at buyer kws or kws with a high commercial intent. Things like buy, deals, discount, etc. These keywords typically have a lower search volume but should have higher conversions.

20. mbk

mbk New Member

Very interesting case study!

I am wondering under what conditions Bing/Yahoo deindex a domain, everything seems really vague. Also I don't know how accurate are the monthly searches in their keyword tools, as we know G's searches are not very accurate so I suppose the situation is the same with Bing/Yahoo too. The only sure thing is testing, I like how you are trying different approaches and switching tactics.

Keep us posted bro!