Lead selling setup

Discussion in 'Building Your Business' started by mstchr, Jan 10, 2017.

Share This Page

1. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting into a project that would involve selling service leads to multiple companies. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or insight into this.

I think Angie's List works more or less like this, but I don't know how their backend functions. The setup would be pretty straightforward:
    • visitor fills out lead form
    • lead without contact details is sent to qualified companies
    • company buys lead, contact details are sent
    • lead is capped at some number, maybe customer specifies the number of bids they want to receive or something
    • companies contact lead
    I'd like the process to be as automated as possible: leads (once manually approved, perhaps) are automatically sent to qualified buyers according to their category, then payment triggers the full lead to be sent to the buyer.

There must be something pretty close to off-the-shelf for this kind of thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. propipper

propipper Member

We used to this back in the days of "Rank And Make Bank" - the good old days. I think that was back on WF.

Anyway, not sure if there is anything automated without coding it yourself but what you could do is manually do it for now (get the leads, forward it to your prospects, manually process the transaction) and once you get up and going with consistent leads, then you just lease the site out for a flat monthly fee. You just forward all the calls (hopefully you're using a Google phone number) and you just sit back and do nothing. I have a couple of those and it works nicely. All local so I go and visit my clients when I'm in the area to stop by and say hi but everything is billed automatically.

If you're going to farm out leads, then another option you should think of is farming them out to 2-3 different companies. I did that as well and then the companies competed for the job. If you do this, be sure to tell your customers that you're doing that. The companies I worked with had no problems with it and once they saw the leads that were coming in were pretty decent, they contacted me to go exclusive.

3. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

Thanks for the reply, some good ideas.

This site will be for an international location so it might be more difficult to forward numbers and so on. And I'd rather focus on lead sales, rather than site rental, because if I go in with this project it will be a big undertaking with lots of verticals in a very large city and I think the open market model will attract more attention from all angles.

As you mentioned, I'd like to sell the leads to multiple providers, and/or maybe offer an exclusive buy for some leads in certain cases. I don't think I'd go exclusive with anyone permanently though because I want multiple vendors to furnish offers to the leads so there's some variety and competition among providers in vying for jobs. I think that's a selling point for users, ala Lending Tree's "when banks compete you win" marketing. I think that rings true for a lot of people who are in comparison shopping mode.

I found a solution on codecayon that's pretty limited and would take some further development. I think I'll buy it and see what can be done with it.

4. propipper

propipper Member

Good deal. That's definitely a model that is definitely consumer friendly and probably pretty evergreen depending on the niche, services, etc. you're offering. Competition in the marketplace is always good for the consumer. Sounds like you're trying to build a brand then - Lending Tree, Trivago, etc.

Glad you found something on Code Canyon. I've been pretty lucky with Envato in general so that would be a good place to get it.

Good luck!

5. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

Yeah a brand for sure, as I said if I do this I'm going heavy or going home. I'll be up against a few heavy hitters but I think I'll have a much better product on offer and no one directly competing against me with the same exact spin on things. It would be the kind of thing that would take a couple years to make progress with but could end up being a very valuable asset.

Projects like these are kinda like starting a forum. You need a user base to contribute and help create some movement while it's fledgling, and that requires either an existing audience, some incentives (like discounts) or some fakery to simulate popularity, or some combination of these things.

I think the other way to approach this is using a ping tree but I'm not really into getting down and dirty with that quite yet.