Lessons on Management

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by Bender Bending Rodríguez, Mar 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

I regretfully gave the LAMP developer a second change: I am short a worker for a job and offered his wife the job if he doesn't get involved. He sends a taunting message back.

That was a waste of time.

There's really no lesson here, it was more a statement about that guy personally than about management.

2. Bender Bending Rodríguez

I get why the army manual said battles are won by a determined leader and a few good men. I also sympathize with all the BS management has to deal with.

These personnel issues are really annoying.

3. Bender Bending Rodríguez

If this chick does one more screw up, she's out of here.

This was the BS so far:
    • She disappears when criticized
    • re-appears 10 hours later defending her position that 50 domains/hour is impossible.
    • When asked what happened yesterday, she lies and said the power was out, so no internet (but her skype status was still online -_- and I know she has skype on her phone)
    • I then removed her from the outreach list and she said "good news thanks".
    • Shen then repeats that 50 domains/hour is impossible, and I said thats why she's no longer doing outreach and her reply is "no problem".
    • I gave her a new course of action (resume her old work) and she says "yeah sure".
    She does not have a willing attitude. She's doing it just for the job. Which is OK but she's not gonna be put on any other roles. I also dislike that she'd lie. If she told me what happened, I could do something about it.

I have more WP work but I'm gonna look for a more enthusiastic person. So far, she's just the PBN VA and that's all she's gonna be.

I don't want to work with her anymore. She's a bad employee. She doesn't have the will to work. I think she left and her family convinced her to reply back. She's still very immature and childish. She's just doing the job for the paycheck.

So far, I think that she's motivated by money (to raise her child) and coercion (her family told her to return). I think, if she could have it her own way, she'd be doing something else.

I also think this is a cultural thing -- she's Vietnamese and still live at home with her parents even though she's married with a kid.

I don't think she has ever taken on responsibilities before.

I'll check out some Filipino workers this week for my other job. That individual is smart, motivated, and a hard worker, he'll take the regular work. She'll only be needed for PBN setup and that's all.

If the Filipino worker isn't that high speed, I'll offer her the long term job as a motivator but, then, she'll only be motivated for so long. Yeah, I don't want to have to spend time managing her. She isn't a long term asset to the company.

4. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thinking about it, she has a kid but, since she lives with her parents still, she wouldn't be motivated by security -_-

My first thought about her situation was totally wrong.

She's actually very immature =/

Yeah... the long term job needs to go to someone else.

5. Bender Bending Rodríguez

A leader, a manager, and an entrepreneur are 3 different things.

A manager gets work done through other people.

A leader has a vision, communicates his vision to his subordinates, and shows them how to realize his vision ("do as I do").

An entrepreneur starts a new enterprise.

Last week, I was really focused on management. I didn't get that much done, it was more of dealing with headaches -- weird people things. Its actually new to me since I've never had to fill so many spots before. I'm gonna screen for professionalism and maturity now too in addition to workability and capability. That childish behavior was total BS and a total waste of time.

I also need to get off of my ass and get March's tasks done and start some new enterprises! I have a list of sites to build -_-

6. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Managing people is bull shit. I get why warren buffet said that a good company must have good management: I think he's talking about managers who stewards for the shareholders.

I'm sure he's not talking about managers who can be parents for their employees -_-

If this chick doesn't motivate herself and manage herself, she's out of here after this PBN's up. I'm not dealing with it. I'll just pay her for her time and maybe even give her a tip so she won't fuck with my list of a few hundred sites (It'll be cheaper than changing the password -_- )

The other employee has been working for me for 9 months now. He's actually very proud of his work. The two are vastly different.

7. Bender Bending Rodríguez

She's doing well in her previous role. I made the right decision :)

8. emp

emp Senior Member

Well...

I've been managing for over ten years now. Yes, seriously.

While my IT knowledge helped, studying psychology helps much more.
    You need to understand your people.

This is why "numbers driven" management - which I've seen Americans do over and over - simply does not work.

A job you can give to person A is not suitable to person B. Then you need to know how each person responds to certain things.

A does not like to be tasked via email, but does fine by phone.
    B does not like to be called at all, but is fine with an excel list of tasks and a weekly written report.

it is also crucial to understand WHY your numbers are not met.

WHY is it impossible for chick A to do 50 domains per hour?
    Is there a valid flaw in the process? IS she just lazy? Is she getting interrupted by the kid?
    Would she be fine to be paid per domain, so she can do the hours whenever and even interrupt the work?
    Or is there a technical problem? IS she getting an error response she does not know how to handle?
    Did she understand what she is supposed to be doing?
    Is the going getting harder after two hundred domains? Is there a limit?

etc etc etc..

While you have to learn the art to spot bullshit (and cut it down), you can also learn so much about your business and process optimisation by listening to your employees.

::emp::

9. Bender Bending Rodríguez

What is missing from the bad va and the good va is trust and mutual understanding. Simply put, she doesn't understand the mission. In fact, she can't comprehend anything that is not shown to her :-/

She doesn't understand the vision.

I haven't figured out what I'm gonna do yet.

10. Bender Bending Rodríguez

I re-read that paragraph in the Army Manual and it says that the leader is responsible for trust and mutual understanding in his subordinates so that they understand the commander's intent and are able to exercise initiative to meet the objective.

That clarifies things :)

I'm responsible for it :)

... Now let me figure out what to do.

11. Bender Bending Rodríguez

"Friction is the resistance that comes from the environment that leaders and their units experience during the course of an operation... [it] reduces the unit's ability to accomplish the mission. Combat is when... will and skill battle friction. When will and skill are strong, no amount of friction can prevent a victory [for a unit]. Failure often results when the friction of close combat overcomes the will and skill."

There are some technical info in FM 3-21 that isn't relevant outside of the Army but there are general leadership principals that are amazing, like the quote from above.

Right now, I'm experiencing a lot of friction. We have 2 operations running and there's not enough manpower to power one of them. There's also another operations in the works where I'll have to fill 2 slots. I have to overcome this friction.

I'm gonna ask the PBN VA if she's willing to go through the training. It'll be best to have her finish the outreach list.

I'll also have to train the iMacro VAs. iMacros actually didn't make the task any faster -- it just makes it easier. Which is OK: I can have these VAs work 40 hours/week and I know that they won't burn out. Which is good.

Re-visiting the above quote taught me that a determined unit will get anything done. Money isn't what motivates people to take initiative and accomplish the mission beyond what's required. I (the leader) have to motivate them.

12. Bender Bending Rodríguez

This is pretty cool. I posted an ad for link builders and got 130 replies. 18 were qualified and meet my salary requirement.

I sent some questions to the 18. One of them was how to calculate a page's CitationFlow by hand when given the number of incoming links, the OBL of those linking pages, and the PageRank of the linking pages.

To answer the question correctly, the applicant needs to know that CF = PR*10 and how to calculate PR.

Guess what? A guy whose background is a network administrator answered it correctly! He had to look up what CF is and that CF != PR and how to calculate PR. I'm 100% sure his last jobs did not involve anything about CF or PR.

The guy who has 4 years of SEO experience answered it wrong.

I'm pretty sure that the server admin is willing to learn, motivated, and is gonna be a great employee!

I can't wait for the remaining applicants to reply.

13. Mark23

Mark23 Member

Love this thread

14. emp

emp Senior Member

Try this book: "Extreme Ownership"

Thank me later

::emp::

15. Bender Bending Rodríguez

There's 2 position and 3 jobs open: the head iMacros operator (who will also do WP work) and 2 iMacros operators.

The head iMacros operator is in charge of maintaining the scripts and keeping the .xlsx, which has instructions on how to add the links, up-to-date. He is also in charge of building PBNs and setting up WP sites.

I'm sure the system admin can do this if he was able to figure out how CF is computed.

The 2 iMacros operators are just data entry jobs. As long as they know how to make a hyperlink in HTML, they're good.

The odd part is that the sys admin asked for a lower salary than any other applicant and the other applicants are only approved to do the iMacros job O.O

I think I'm going to have to give the system admin a raise for his added responsibility. He might get an offer that's 2x what he asked. Good for him. I hope he can live up to my expectations.

As for the 2 operators, I'm looking for motivation and willingness to learn. The job is fairly easy. I'd also like them to be as low salary as possible -- it is a data entry position.

So far, I've only gotten about 5 replies. I hope more come in (I also hope I didn't scare some applicants away with the questions).

If I can't fill the 2 Operators, I'll set up a new ad.

I'm also gonna use https://hubstaff.com/pricing for time tracking and payroll. It looks quite awesome: they track their time and, every week, they get paid via PayPal automatically!

I also think that I'll consider SSS, health insurance, raises, and 13th month pay in December -- if they're good employees, I'd like to keep them permanently.

16. Bender Bending Rodríguez

With these new employees, I'm asking them to work 40 hours a week... then I realized that I have to lead by example... so no more 3 day weekends for me :-/

It is Wednesday and this is my first week working from 9am until 5pm in... ohh... ever. The first two days were hard as I wasn't used to working during daylight hours but, today, I've gotten a lot done in the first hour of work! Yeah!

I also blocked YouTube and Reddit on my Work login (I have a Home login on my Mac too).

Things are going great.

So far, I emailed a few guys for interviews. The guys who put in efforts were the ones I contacted. I told one guy, who has 4 years of local SEO experience, to fuck himself since he just BS the whole thing. I'm definitely not hiring him. He isn't motivated and is probably thinking that he's above this link building work. I'd rather hire the call center operator who has no SEO experience but yet googled all the answers and tried really hard (and got just as many right as the local SEO guy).

I'm pretty optimistic about the team I"m putting together :)

17. Bender Bending Rodríguez

The iMacros script took a job from 6-7 hours to 5 hours. Not a huge force multiplier but it makes the job much-much easier. IMO, without it, the burnout rate on these VAs would be pretty high.

The script would allow for a VA to do the job 40 hours a week with ease. In fact, 1 of the 2 VAs who I had do the job w/o iMacros quit hahaha. He said it was too demanding. So, yeah, I'm happy I invested in the script :).

18. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Time tracking is hard O.O

I got to work at 9am and its 10:40. The time tracker says I've worked for 1:15 minutes. I must have goofed off when I first got into the office and taken longer breaks than I thought.

19. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Hmmm... the sys admin said he'll be online from 8am GMT until 4pm GMT.... he wasn't on today.

Is this a red flag or something else... we'll find out :-o

20. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Guy who got the PR question right guessed. He actually didn't know the computation.

I did find 3 individuals who can do the link building. I'm gonna train them and then assign the best one the leadership role over the 2.