Linux on a laptop

Discussion in 'Apex Lounge' started by dzianis, Feb 22, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

So I got a small little custom laptop built recently and it had Windows 10 on it. After fooling around with it for a while (slow, buggy, microsoft account required to do basic shit, omg) - I killed that OS and got a couple of Linux builds to try out.

I ended up installing Zorin OS and I'm loving it so far. Boots in 5 seconds, no extra unknown processes constantly loading the CPU, no pop-ups, tons of shit that can be done via Terminal... Wow. I am even porting my wi-fi rooter antennas to bluetooth and wi-fi back and forth with simple commands like a pro. Considering I need this laptop mostly for Office apps (been using Office Libre for ages anyway), browsing and basic media work - I'm absolutely loving it.

Any more linux-on-laptop people here?

p.s. hai guys

2. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

I started using Linux in... '05? It was mainly Ubuntu on laptops. I stopped using Linux in 2015 and switched to OS X.

I just got tired of debugging. My laptop was a ThinkPad, which was well supported but I'd have to debug something at least once a week. For example, the laptop had a DVI out. To get it to work on a TV with HDMI in, I had to install some proprietary driver, hook up the wires, and then run a few shell commands to get the TV to display properly. It took about several days to figure out how to do it and it wouldn't always work properly every time.

IDK if Netflix is available on Linux now but, back then, it took a lot of work to get Netflix to work -- like, you'd have to install IE in Wine, install whatever MS program is needed to stream Netflix.

Some open source programs were also total shit. Like, the open source equivalent of Evernote is/was maintained by 1 dude. The program was just annoying to use. Its nothing compared to Evernote.

I can go on but, yeah, I like to spend my time using my laptop instead of maintaining my laptop. I'd never use Linux for personal computing ever again.

Sidenote: Is that Gnome on the photo in Zorin's homepage? If so, that desktop environment really changed since when I last used it! Or, is it a customized version of GNOME?

emp likes this.
  3. emp

emp Senior Member

Love Linux on servers.

Try personal linux at least once a year.

Have not stayed with it yet.
    Same problem as Bender - Too much time spend fiddling around with the system to get anything working.

::emp::

dzianis likes this.
  4. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

For my next laptop I am strongly considering having a partition with Windows and a partition with Ubuntu.

Half the office I'm in right now is using Ubuntu for their OS and I've found it to be extremely stable and I'm very comfortable with it since I've spent a ton of time on Ubuntu servers. Definitely the hardest part is supported software - things that I take for granted like Skype just don't work quite the same on Ubuntu as there is nowhere near the same level of support.

dzianis likes this.
  5. emp

emp Senior Member

Exactly, sadly.

Last time I tried Linux (Mint), dropbox would simply NOT pick up changes in the filesystem.
    Seriously?

Wasted way too much time on something that should - Just. Work.

::emp::

6. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Gnome 3 AFAIK. Zorin is created to resemble Win 7 as much as possible for ppl like me :) It's also a notebook-specific OS.

All that is true, BUT so far I have set up everything for my near-future workflow - which is mostly just writing & researching - and I enjoy the stability and speed of the system. After using Windows all my life I got to dread each reboot, since shit tends to just GO WRONG with time - registry, system restore, updates, etc. etc. With this system I'm just opening the lid, working and then closing the lid.

I do acknowledge I'll have to use a Win PC eventually for some of the multimedia tools, but I have another computer for that.

7. pinchee

pinchee Member

I used Linux exclusively from 2003 until 2014. Now I use Vagrant/VirtualBox on OS X - so I still use Linux for all of my work, but I don't patch my WiFi drivers every 3 months anymore ;)

dzianis likes this.
  8. Envrin

Envrin Active Member

9. Envrin

Envrin Active Member

Sorry, something is fucked, and I'm doing something wrong. Apologies in advance mods, and please just delete these garbage messages, while I try to figure out how to navigate this site again.

EDIT: Does this work? If so, cool. :)

PS. Mods, any chance of adding some "label" HTML tags to the site for blind folks such as myself? Would make it much easier for me to navigate.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  10. jacksmm

jacksmm Active Member

use Ubuntu or linux mint they are the best distro for beginner