Newbie Question One large piece of content versus many smaller pieces?

Discussion in 'Newbie Section' started by Jamie, Jul 3, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Jamie

Jamie Member

If you have a choice to create one large piece of content on widgetX or many smaller pieces, which do you choose and why?

Example:

The Best WidgetX for Dogs
    How Much Does WidgetX Cost?
    What Makes a Good WidgetX?

Or:

Everything You Need to Know About WidgetX, a large piece of content with each of the above titles as sub-headlines.

2. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

It depends on the search volume. If the volumes were:

The Best WidgetX for Dogs -- 1,000
    How Much Does WidgetX Cost? - 20
    What Makes a Good WidgetX? - 20

I'll make it one big article.

If not, I'll separate them for the keyword in title benefit.

3. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

I agree with what @Bender Bending Rodríguez has to say - the amount of effort spent writing content should be proportional to the earning potential of a keyword. If a keyword can earn enough to pay back the cost of content creation many times over, then it deserves its own article. Otherwise you should mix them together into their own article.

returntrip likes this.
  4. emp

emp Senior Member

To add to the great stuff by Bender...

I am a big fan of putting "extra content" on additional pages.
    So in an article you might talk about "WHy buy dog widget X"
    In it, a video might make sense "Cute corgy having fun with widget X".
    Put a link right there "More fun dogs with widget X" - page full of vids

Same applies to articles.
    So your article might have a paragraph about best widgetXs for your dog's breed. Link to another article explaining which widget to get for which dog

etc etc...

Hope the idea is clear (on mobile right now, and the coffee level is low this early)

::emp::

5. thewriteone

thewriteone New Member

My 2 cents are different. I hope no one bashes me here unlike in Wickedfire :p
    How about getting 1 solid article. A single big article that targets multiple keywords so you don't look like a spam?

Also whatever the content is, backlinks is also important. Lets say you have the connections and stuff in your niche. Question: Do you get the same amount and same quality of links for the small content compared to a really big and a helpful article? Answer: no. But you can get a real nice solid link pointing to one article that discusses multiple close topics in one blow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  6. IamMugen

IamMugen New Member

It really depends on your plans for your content, but I tend to follow a similar strategy as @Bender Bending Rodríguez when it comes to the search volume.

If you do go the large content route, cut up the main article into smaller ones (e.g. take the the sub-headline KW areas and make each of those a separate piece of content) and use those separately for their own purposes linking back to the main article.

Gives you more bang for your buck:D

7. lemon

lemon Member

If i'm writing content for an amazon affiliate type of website, I try to do a mix of both. In your pillar article, you would focus primarily on "The Best WidgetX for Dogs." The final 20% has some informational content where you can touch on each topic covered in the rest of your site. If necessary, it will lead the reader there if he needs more information.

How Much Does WidgetX Cost?
    For most consumers, the $20 WidgetX will [make all of your wildest dreams come true] just as effectively as the more expensive models. However, if you're looking to [do additional thing], spending a little extra money can [make your life better]. If you're feeling overwhelmed with the options available to you, check out our WidgetX price guide! We'll break down the choices in to three simple usage scenarios so... etc

At first, you might think that a single large piece of content is convenient. However, many readers will find it hard to digest.

If you start with your sales content, readers that are ready to buy will click through before the end if your article. Some readers, on the other hand, will want more information. By ending your main article with a short FAQ, you can address any remaining concerns about the product. Instead of leaving your site to find out what they want to know, they can just click through to your "informational" article. Once there, you can tell them what they need to know and attempt to push them back into your sales funnel.

I can't speak to the actual SEO implications of this, but there should be a pretty clear impact on your conversion rate. Put yourself in the readers shoes. If you're looking to make a purchase, a 5000 word long "everything you need to know about WidgetX" article is going to be a little intimidating. It might even alienate readers who are looking to make a quick purchase. Breaking it up makes the purchasing process feel simple, and has the added benefit of helping you understand your traffics mindset based on your analytics data.

8. lemon

lemon Member

Based on your post history, that's pretty obvious.