Post Your Underrated SEO Tip

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by cardine, Dec 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

In this thread post your most underrated SEO tip. It should be something that you think is both very important, and widely unknown or under appreciated.

30 days from now the tip posted that I like the best will receive a free WordAi or Microsite Masters account.

I'll start with my tip:

seo.rip, Advanced123, MAL101 and 16 others like this.
  2. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

Here's mine that cost me a lot of vain efforts, time and money:

Double, triple, quadruple-check the keywords you are going after! No single tool will give you 100% trustworthy data, and a lot of awesome, high-paying keywords will be missed! Keep in mind season, trends, intent, competition, everything.

Advanced123, MAL101, Dipesh and 5 others like this.
  3. Boreira

Boreira New Member

Go for longtail keywords with relatively little competition, posting excellent content and watch your rankings climb.

Advanced123, MAL101 and megodon like this.
  4. Paul

Paul Member

Good stuff, these are exactly the kind of tips I was hoping to see when I heard about a new forum! I'm going to try this out tomorrow and update you guys on the progress.

My tip would be to focus on ranking subpages instead of your homepage. My usual plan was always to optimize the homepages of my sites for the main keyword. The last few months I saw more and more subpages climbing to the top positions and homepages slipping away. I did some small scale testing and it seems to help to have the subpage url with the exact KW you're trying to rank (e.g. 'xxx.com/keyword').

Advanced123 likes this.
  5. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

Sweet tip. I use it for coding/stories/animation, but never put a ton of thought into using it for other purposes besides building my team.

Advanced123 likes this.
  6. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

If you are in an evergreen niche, something that will be around forever, especially if you are monetizing with adsense, and the like, you can do something not many people do. Focus on low traffic long tail keywords.

For example, I know this sounds ridiculous right now, but imagine if you spent an extra bit of time a day on 2 keywords that only had 450 monthly searches in your target country. Just one article a day on a new keyword. You were able to rank that article of course (not that hard), and then you repeated daily for 365 days. This is not your main goal but think about it.

In one year you would be ranking for 365 articles that have roughly 450x 2 x 365 = 328,500 monthly searches.

I would say if we brought it down to six months instead of a year.

So that would be 2 keywords x 30 days equals 60 keywords a month. Low traffic, low competition, easy to rank.

60 keywords x 6 months equals 360 keywords/articles (2 keywords per article not including LSI type, yada yada).

So 360 articles x 450 searches in the target country (not the world) equals 162,000 searches a month in six months.

Now only a percentage will actually visit but you have 162,000 searches to your keywords that you rank for in six months, and maybe only 3,000 visit, maybe 20,000 visit, maybe 100,000 visit. On average (low 3,000 visit) that is 100 average visits a day. High would be 3,333 visits a day. So if your evergreen site had a traffic value of 3,000 visits a day, surely you could resell that quickly for a nice penny (or monetize it much better).

In any case, I hope it was something to think about. Not stating any of the figures above are exact of course.

ltt330326, MAL101, Sara and 5 others like this.
  7. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

I think something like this is a perfect example of why a one size fits all approach doesn't work. Going after a trend like garcinia cambogia? Might as well do a churn and burn because the fad will be over by the time your blackhat method dries out. For an evergreen niche? Slow and steady wins the race where you build a huge authority site and have lots of little sub pages that might only go after small keywords, but they'll rank with staying power for a keyword that'll be searched for years and years to come.

MAL101 and John Hernandez like this.
  8. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

Right, and of course in this case I am speaking only about highly relevant but low traffic long tail keywords. I also wouldn't make it the main focus of the site, just something on the side to do along the way.

A lot of times, I will find that I and other people have ended up at a site by searching for something I would never have thought would have worked. Its surprising I even got there at all.

One size fits all isn't even on the radar online. This idea is one of those that has received both positive and negative feedback in different situations.

I am totally okay with both, you learn from them.

9. hunch

hunch Member

HTTP/2 + SSL

10. evgenktulu

evgenktulu New Member

Here's my tip, based on some observations (though can't say that I've seen a lot of exmaples):

Get that 100 pagespeed score from G.

Greg Montoya, Sara, taktikz and 2 others like this.
  11. emp

emp Senior Member

What a lot of people do not value, but can bring incredible gains ...
    Proper ON PAGE optimization.

Title
    Unique title for every page
    Most important Keyword included
    4-6 words, 65 characters max
    Don't just concatenate keywords, make it good
    Use - : > | for spacers
    Clickbaity

Description
    Different and unique for each page
    Summary of the page's topic
    Including, again, the most important KW
    Don't automate this, make it great content ion it's own right.
    160 chars max for Google, 200 for Bing

Schema
    Use schema markup (www.schema.org) and rich snippets

Look at basic markup
    H1, H2, H3 used correctly?
    Strong for emphasis?

Internal Links
    See how to bring relevant, older content to bear. Make ALL your content visible.

URL structure
    Make the URLs human readable.
    Use folders (or urls that look like them) for categories.
    Shorter URLs are better

I've helped big, established sites get more visitors with proper onpage optimization. Of course, not only.
    Going through these (categories, URLs, titles and descriptions) also helps people think about their navigation structure and how to make the site accessible.

::emp::

12. Brad

Brad Active Member

Tip for 2016 - you need to increase your traffic as well as increase dwell time on page to increase your serp rankings.

13. knownerror

knownerror New Member

Update, update, update. Something happen in the industry for blue widgets? Provide that new information to your targeted page to keep it up-to-date and always fresh. Not only does it make you the best source for the information but it damn well looks good.

14. mencariski

mencariski New Member

This is my SEO trick to rank keywords with moderate competition using the Tier 1 and Tier 2

In this trick u need a bulk unique article, its easy to get it, u can use a rewriter tool, like a WordAI (recommended), SpinRewriter or ETC

So, the first thing is create a blog and then post an article (spinner result) and dont forget insert ur link to Money Site (Tier 1)

Next step is create a social media account, like a Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or ETC. To automatically this trick need automation social sharing like IFTT, DLVR.IT, or ETC. (Tier 2)

techlysolutions likes this.
  15. Golan

Golan Established Member

When build a site on drop domain - whether it's money site or PBN - one should definitely scrape all pages of the old site that have backlinks to them and re-create them.

I've been seeing tons of people that dont even think about that. They buy a good drop, and then just build new site on it. And they forget about backlinks. But this way they are totally missing the point of using the drops. Now all those backlinks lead to nowhere. Because in most cases backlinks point to inner pages, not to homepage. So all link juice is lost. You bought a drop but you hardly get any benefit of it.

So what you need to do, is to scrape the fullest backlinked pages list possible - from every source available to you, Ahrefs, Majestic, OSE... And to build the pages that get most valuable backlinks, whether you restore the content from archive.org or order new content or scrape it from some other sites.

And now, you need to match those backlinks to these new pages. The problem in most cases is that usually old sites that have dropped were built on some strange cms's if ever, or just on homemade scripts... So there is no way to recreate their funny URL structure ( like site.com/cat=5/?index.asp/~blabla... etc. ) by the means of Wordpress or any other CMS. For this, you make nice table of old pages and corresponding new pages - and make a lot of 301 redirects.

Now, some people who are smart enough to think about the missing link juice but still are lazy to think better or to do more, are just making a rule to 301 all 404's to the homepage. It's like they don't miss the link juice now. But this is a huge mistake, as Mr. Cuttz or how ever it spells said a couple years ago that Google bans sites for this technique.

That's one thing; and another - is human factor. If a user reads an article on Wikipedia about say Donald Trump and sees a link to an article that is supposed to be "Trump's daughter plastic surgery" and wants to read that article and clicks on the link, but instead he lands on a page about "plastic surgery in Orlando FL" with no relevance to the Trump's daughter whatsoever (because you obviously built the site about plastic surgery and don't give a flying fuck about Trump's family), he feels scammed. Of course Wikipedia doesn't want this to happen so they are constantly scanning their links and deleting not only dead ones but also such irrelevant redirects. And Wiki is just an example, many authoritative sites are scanning their links time to time and checking them.

And not only this; in the sense of the Funnel, you've just missed the lead now, because he'd landed on an irrelevant page and didn't find what he was looking for.

So as we see, if you don't pay attention on the old backlinks or don't use them right, you are missing a lot from many angles.

In two words: When using drops, use them on full.

ltt330326, kellan, Wazza and 8 others like this.
  16. Rushabh

Rushabh New Member

Trick for ranking: You need to fetch some paid targeted traffic (Like, google adwords).-- Google is now more care to his share holder.

17. ghackseo

ghackseo New Member

301 redirecting your URL's to URL's with or without trailing slashes.

Google sees the following URL's as seperate pages:
    hxxp://domain.com - without trailing slash
    hxxp://domain.com/ - with trailing slash

and this often creates duplicate content and forces the two pages to "fight" in the SERPS.

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1/ [L,R=301]

If you want to redirect all pages with a trailing slash to URL's without trailing slashes, use the following:

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^\.localhost$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.+[^/])/$ http://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1/ [R=301,L]

ltt330326, Arina, helloworld and 8 others like this.
  18. Vijay

Vijay Member

Exact same situation im in, how do i use it. is that to be in index.html , i think it is index.php in WP ?
    Can you explain me more on that, i was thinking of deindexing my whole page due to that.

19. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

It's the .htaccess file.

Vijay likes this.
  20. ghackseo

ghackseo New Member

You will place the code in your .htaccess file, however, do some research on editing the .htaccess file before you do anything, they can be quite tricky sometimes!

Vijay likes this.