Post Your Underrated SEO Tip

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by cardine, Dec 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

I think that'll be a good case study.

There's the old SEO myth that .edu, .gov, and .mil domain names have more SEO power than .com, .net, and .org too. Google's reply was that there's no preference for TLDs and it's only that webmasters would rather link to a .edu/.gov/.mil domain instead of a commercial one (and hence more PageRank).

A study examining the ranking abilities of .com, .net, .org, cheap TLDs (.info and .xyz) and new one word TLDs with the keyword in the TLD would be good. You can't really test the ranking power of .gov, .edu, or .mil TLDs but I think the results of the test can be extended to those government TLDs too.

It'll end the old question of "what TLD should I pick?" If it's found that cheap TLDs have no disadvantage to .coms, that'll be great for anyone who wants to pay $.88 for a domain name instead of $12. If it is found that the new one word TLD with keyword has a ranking benefit, that'll be great too.

Pretty awesome case study IMO.

2. Golan

Golan Established Member

I think it's not about having your site on .gov or .edu, which you can't unless you sign up for one of useless .edu blog services. It's more about getting backlinks from .gov, edu, .ac.*, . mil, .int etc. If a site/domain has good natural editorial backlinks from such sites (i dont speak about low quality comments and other junk links of course, G is very good in distinguishing), G may deny an importance of these as a ranking factor all day long, but no one would believe.

3. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Wow, yeah, I got the myth wrong. The myth is that links from .mil, .gov, .edu sites have more SEO value than other TLDs.

That might be another good case study: testing the ranking change of a .mil/.gov/.edu link versus a .com/.net/.org link with the same CF. Someone will need to have access to a .mil/.edu/.gov site to do the test though.

4. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

This would be a little tricky though, because you'd need to make sure that you pick a .mil/.edu/.gov backlink with the exact same amount of authority as a .com/.net/.org backlink. Just because a tool says they have the same authority doesn't mean Google thinks that and you could end up with a case study that doesn't prove anything since there is no way to know if the TLD was the differentiating factor in the link, or if it was just a more authoritative page to begin with.

Of course you could still prove that a .mil/.edu/.gov link is better than a similarly authoritative .com/.net/.org link, although all that proves is that whatever tool you are using to judge the authority of a backlink underestimates or overestimates the benefits of a TLD being .mil/.edu/.gov... which still may be useful information.

5. Thomas Smale

Thomas Smale New Member

This is more of a keyword research tip, but it can be used as a SEO tip as well! This works really well for finding super easy keywords to target for new sites as well as established sites looking for new keywords. This can also be a good way to find a new niche to go after.

You will need Semrush to execute the strategy, but I'm assuming most of you already have it. In my opinion, it's probably the best tool out there for keyword research.

Here are the basic steps to it:
    1. Find forums that are in your niche. Use the search operator of "your niche" + "forum". For example, if I was in the cars niche I would search for "cars" + "forums".
    2. Add all of the relevant forums into a spreadsheet so you can easily find them later
    3. Pick one of them forums and plug it into Semrush
    4. Examine the keywords that the forum is ranking for in google Any keywords that the forum is ranking for can easily be outranked with 1000+ word article surrounding that topic.
    5. Export the list to Excel and you now have a ton of keywords that are low hanging fruit for you to target
    6. Repeat with all of the other forums you found
    TIP #1: I like to find the keywords that are ranking #1 in Google. Any keyword that has a forum ranking #1 is super easy competition. I;d start my research there

TIP #2: These keywords will most likely get under 100 monthly searches. The key is to group clusters of keywords together that you can target all with one article. This allows you to target, for example, 10 keywords that each get 30 monthly searches. This is like targeting ONE keyword that gets 300 monthly searches.

This has worked time and time again for me and it should work for you as well! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

6. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Is this the first use for SEMRush that everyone thinks of? (see http://www.apexforum.com/threads/use-semrush-to-double-my-traffic.675/#post-4382 )

cardine likes this.
  7. JamesAtlas

JamesAtlas Active Member

I'm not 100% certain on this one, but I believe that patreon.com can be used as a very powerful parasite. I'm seeing it outranking all my other web 2.0 profiles by far.

You can customized the username to be something like "patreon.com/bankloans" and add several links and long posts to the profile. There could be a lot of potential with this one.

cardine likes this.
  8. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

That's interesting - I wouldn't have thought to try that site. Are you doing a "creator" profile or a "patron" profile?

9. JamesAtlas

JamesAtlas Active Member

Just a regular patreon profile. The only thing I did is I used my keyword as the name. So instead of being "Jill Morrison", I am "Unsecured Bank Loan" :D

I also added about a paragraph of information on bank loans.

I built about 100 of these style web 2.0 profiles for other sites. All of them didn't make it into the top 100 of Google for the target keyword. Meanwhile the patreon one is sitting 35th for a very hard financial keyword.

Could just be a fluke but I know that some of you guys can run your own tests and put it to good use. :D

10. Greg Montoya

Greg Montoya New Member

Create spreadsheets for all the links you build, check to see that they are indexed after 1-2 weeks. Document what landing page these links are going to.

Basically, you need to know the spiderweb of backlinks pointing into your site whether its a PBN link, guest post, or comment link. Make sure you record it.

That way, you can then send tier2 links to those recorded tier1 links to boost the SEO metrics like trust flow and citation flow.

11. IrishHound

IrishHound Member

Whatever you do, use your head

12. Simseen

Simseen Active Member

That's a good tip, and a tip i've been using for years.

My Spreadsheet is build up like this;

URL - Keyword - Date - Notes

That way i can always go back, and check up on the links, also if i'm getting a penalty. I can check the links, and see if i should get some removed.

13. IamMugen

IamMugen New Member

Create systems for everything.

I use x-mind to outline my overall systems and use Trello to map out each of the steps in detail.

14. Youreaturs

Youreaturs Member

Keywords, keywords, keywords... Even if I'm using some great tools and keyword planner, I make sure I double check my keywords. ALWAYS. There are important high paying keywords which are sometimes missed by tools so you need to do your thing and check them manually. It is also important that you choose keywords with less competition!

15. Jinghong Chiu

Jinghong Chiu Member

@cardine After some time, I stumbled across some resources (if you haven't read them already :). Here you go:

https://moz.com/blog/does-organic-ctr-impact-seo-rankings-new-data
    https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//pubs/archive/45286.pdf

and a guide by industry expert on CTR improvement:
    http://searchengineland.com/infographic-11-amazing-hacks-will-boost-organic-click-rates-259311

Thanks!

16. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

I've found great success in using brand or naked anchors as long as the link is surrounded with content relating to the keywords I am looking to rank for. Let's say that I am ordering a bunch of PBN's from someone. I can use the typical approach of using LSI's or exact anchor, but then I'll have to deal with further link diversity down the line, but the safer approach would be using a brand/naked anchor, and having the keywords I'm after in the same sentence. Further more, the whole paragraph or article should cover the topic you're after.

I just feel that too many people feel that using brand or naked URLs is simply for link profile diversity, while I've seen just as strong results from having keywords surrounding my brand anchor as I would if I used an exact name anchor.

phrench likes this.
  17. lisa7878

lisa7878 New Member

Use SEOprofiler to check backlinks, it is the best tool to check competitor newly created links.

18. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Have you tried Majestic or Ahrefs? I tried SEOprofiler back a few years ago and found them to have the lowest index size compared to moz, majestic, or ahrefs. They still don't even publish their index size on their website.

19. Clap Creative

Clap Creative New Member

Domain redirection is the most important thing in SEO. Because I saw lot of guys haven't any knowledge about redirection but they are doing SEO and downgrading reputation.

20. vlachs

vlachs Active Member

Do you have any proof ?

I haven't heard of any real improvement from social signals.