Case Study Project BotFly: 100% Automated YouTube Video Parasite

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by shaqattaq, Apr 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

The purpose of this case study will be to examine the ranking, traffic, sales, and data potential of automated YouTube video creation using Amazon product feeds.

Tools

WordAI
    Micro Site Masters
    Zapier
    Sezion

Flow of Data

This might help make the rest of this a little easier to digest.

Amazon RSS + Product API + WordAI > My RSS > Zapier > Sezion > YouTube
    ...........................................................................................................^>Sezion Web Hook>Micro Site Masters

The Process

Product Information from various Amazon RSS feeds is scraped. Only products that have a defined brand and model in the Amazon Product API will be used. The brand and model will be used to create video titles and track keywords. Brand + Model + Review will be the video title on YouTube and the keyword being tracked.

The Amazon RSS data is combined with additional data from the Amazon Product API to create my own RSS feed. I point Zapier to my RSS feed. Zapier uses my RSS feed data to propagate a video template on Sezion.

Zapier (an app much like IFTTT) periodically checks my RSS feed for new items. When a new item is detected in my RSS feed Zapier tells Sezion to make a new video.

In the YouTube video description there is a link to my website. My website URL is shortened with bit.ly through the bit.ly API. There’s also some content added to the YouTube video description. The content comes from a product description and set of features pulled from the Amazon Product API. This content is then made unique and human readable through the WordAI API.

My website automatically generates pages based on information from the Amazon Product API. The pages also have the Amazon customer reviews iframe that is standard issue now as pulling real customer reviews from the API is no longer possible.

After the video is created, Sezion performs a callback as defined by the web hook in the video template settings. This callback feeds my script the video title and YouTube video ID.

Micro Site Masters API is then used to automatically track the new video using the data from the Sezion callback. The YouTube video URL is tracked with the keyword: Brand + Model + Review.

Why Buffer?
    I am using my website as a buffer rather than direct linking to Amazon from the YouTube video description. Posting affiliate links on YouTube is somewhat of a gray area both in terms of YouTube Policy and Amazon policy. It also opens up other elements of monetization, optimization and control. Yes, many people spam YouTube with Amazon links but I feel (a tiny bit) safer with a buffer site.

Objectives

Collect Data: I think that the data will be the prize in this case study. This process amounts to an automated parasite rank checker with a revenue stream built in. The Amazon product base is ridiculously huge and an excellent place to discover weak and emerging targets.

Test Scaling: At this point I’m unfamiliar with the limitations I’m about to run into. This case study will be a chance to learn the ropes and see how far I can push things.

Earn Commission: Making a few sales wouldn’t hurt. In my estimation it’s an almost certain byproduct of saturating keywords of commercial intent.

Timeline

I’m going to shoot for about 500 automated videos spread across multiple new PVA accounts over the course of approximately 2 weeks. Videos will be dripped out slowly, about 2 per hour.

After the original run the results will be analyzed in order to make any necessary adjustments and assess the effectiveness of the campaign.

Tracking

I will be using Google Analytics to track traffic on my website and a unique ID in Amazon to track sales. Number of videos, video views, likes, dislikes and flagged videos will also be tracked on YouTube manually (Why automate checking stats, it’s the most fun part!)

Micro Site Masters will be used for rank tracking. All ranking videos will be exported and a list of targets for additional SEO projects will be created.

Because I used the bit.ly API I will also have access to bit.ly stats for tracking clicks from YouTube videos to my site and clicks from my site to Amazon. This will allow me to loosely track CTR for individual products by comparing the number of clicks to my site to the number of clicks to Amazon for each product, although this data will be imperfect due to people clicking links more than once.

Sponsors

This case study is being sponsored by WordAI and Micro Site Masters. Big thanks to @cardine and @megodon for hooking me up. This project couldn’t have been 100% automated with unique, human readable content without these two services. Both offer powerful APIs that are easy to use and perfect for any automation project.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    dzianis, mbk, CharlesFloate and 7 others like this.
  2. cardhu

cardhu New Member

I really like the way you think. SPAM^C^C AUTOMATE ALL THE THINGS! :D

You said you shorten the links with bit.ly but then explained why you choose buffer. Did I misunderstand something or was that a typo?

Didn't know sezion before. Have to check them out.
    Do you use the free acount of Sezion? If yes, do you remove the watermark?

Cool case study. Again. Keep 'em coming! :)

Anaconda likes this.
  3. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

I am using my website as a buffer rather than direct linking to Amazon on YouTube in the video description. I am using bit.ly to shorten my website's URL in the video description as well as to shorten/mask links on my website.

Yes I am using the free account. I created a template by following the tutorial they provide. I am not aware of any watermark.

4. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

Congrats on getting hooked up with WordAi and MicroSiteMaster. @cardine is very generous and it is much appreciated.

I like the way you think! I had great success with phpbay a few years ago and to a lesser extent phpzon creating thinsites.

It's interesting reading your posts as you use different software - I'd never heard of sezion either. The free account at Sezion says it's watermarked but I doubt the point is to make 5 star videos for people to watch so I don't know that it really matters.

I'm not quite connecting the dots of how you get the API content and reviews into the mix. I'm hoping you might be looking to create a product after the case study that someone with less technical skills will be able to pay you for :D

As @cardhu says - Keep em coming. :)

Josías De La Espada likes this.
  5. bobski

bobski Member

Genius! :)

I also hadn't heard of Sezion, thanks for the heads-up

6. cardhu

cardhu New Member

I automatically thought of buffer.com when I read buffer. Thanks for clearing that up.

I asked about the watermarks because according to Sezion free videos are watermaked as @Anaconda already mentioned.

7. Josías De La Espada

Josías De La Espada New Member

At this moment the videos created with a Sezion free account don't have a watermark. With the current platform version the only limitations are: amount of videos created/month (around 60 videos/month) and video resolution (480p or 360p).

megodon and cardhu like this.
  8. Josías De La Espada

Loved this case study. How do you use/connect/integrated WordAI? First time I've heard about this service and it looks amazing. Thanks for this!

megodon and Anaconda like this.
  9. Anaconda

megodon and Josías De La Espada like this.
  10. Josías De La Espada

Thanks! Happy to help (and excited about the case study) It's the first time I've seen the use of WordAI with Sezion, which actually opens a lot of posibilites.

11. Anaconda

It's a very clever plan. I got lost after the Amazon RSS feed :(

12. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

WordAI has a json API. I'm actually just using WordAI for the video description, although it could certainly be incorporated into the video if need be, although I am not concerned with uniqueness of the text in the video. I'm just feeding product features from the Amazon Product API into the video through my custom RSS feed.

Update

This process has been running for a few days now and I'm somewhere around 150 videos published. My website is getting a trickle of traffic, Amazon is getting some clicks from my website, but no sales yet. I'll put together traffic/video stats more completely in my first week update on Friday or Saturday.

Take a look at these stats from Micro Site Masters. These videos/keywords were added Friday and ranking data was updated a few times since. This is after a few days, although about half the videos ranked almost immediately.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, many Brand + Model + Review keywords are very weak. They don't get a lot of traffic, but the traffic these keywords do get is absolute gold.

I did lose the ability to upload videos on one of my YouTube accounts. My videos were flagged as inappropriate twice on that account and I was no longer able to upload videos to that account, although the videos I had already uploaded remained in the account..

Josias contacted me regarding the case study and was kind enough to offer me an upgraded account. Big thanks to Josias and everybody over at Sezion.

cardine, dzianis, megodon and 3 others like this.
  13. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

First sale from my buffer website. :D:D:D

[​IMG]
    Obviously a ridiculously small commission, but I'll take it.

I checked analytics and my buffer site got nearly 40 visitors today. Not too shabby!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how things go once I get the full 500 videos up. Should be interesting to see if the traffic is sustainable or how quickly it drops off.

14. Anaconda

That's impressive!!!!! You've had this site up 3 days? Honestly - IMPRESSED!

Josías De La Espada likes this.
  15. Josías De La Espada

Do you why?

16. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

I'm guessing it's because I am naming the videos "Review" and people are expecting a traditional review where a person talks about their personal experience with a product. Instead I am promoting my website.

Thanks :) I was really surprised to see a sale so soon. Wasn't much but it shows there's real traffic willing to buy coming through. I'm stoked. :)

17. Anaconda

The amount isn't the point. that's about targeting the higher value products. The fact is it works and works bloody fast. You're my new hero LOL

18. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

Even if you target high value items you don't always sell high value items every time and vice versa. :)

19. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

Day 2 Keyword Rankings
    [​IMG]
    Traffic
    [​IMG]
    I think the numbers say it all. Getting on the first page MOST of the time is great, but the best part is going into the accounts and finding videos that are actually getting a lot of views. These are the keywords I will be targeting in my next case study.

[​IMG]

94 views in 4-5 days. You think people are searching for this keyword a lot? I do. A lot of the videos fall flat, like you can see above. There are definitely some gems to be found though. :D

cardhu likes this.
  20. Josías De La Espada

Hey! Thanks for the update! I have a few questions:
    • How were the keywords chosen?
    • Is there a way to know the best title/description structure and content to maximize SEO?
    • Is that 100% organic traffic?
    Thanks!!