Question For All GSA or RankerX Users

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by Mark23, Jan 2, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mark23

Mark23 Member

I'm new to using these types of tools so I'm not really sure how effective they are or how exactly to use them. Let me give you guys my scenario.

For about 10 months I have been slowly sending PBN links to my website trying to rank it for a low competition keyword. It's a keyword like "best compact wireless speakers". As far as competition, my on-page is better than several of the websites on page 1 of Google. I've seen a lot of crappy spam backlinks (comment spam, guestbook spam, etc.) built for some of the top sites. No authority sites on the first page. Lots of SEO sites and a few EMD's.

I built a total of 26 PBN links over 10 months. The ranking for this keyword moved up slowly for the first 6 months. But for past 4 months, it has been stuck on page 2 even though I kept on sending PBN links to this site. The anchor texts are not over-optimized at all. I always play on the safe side, never repeat them, and most of my anchors are brand or urls.

So I decided to try something different since sending PBN links was not moving my site. I bought RankerX and started a 30-day campaign, which is now complete. The RankerX campaign sent the following:

45 "premium" Web 2.0 tier 1 links to my money site,
    765 Web 2.0 tier 2 links to the tier 1 "premium" Web 2.0 links.

Before I started the campaign, my website was on position 16 for its keyword. Now that the campaign is finished, it is on position 17. It has fluctuated during the 30-day RankerX campaign from around 15-20, but its position is essentially the same. It's like I never ran a Web 2.0 campaign on it. I used a diverse anchor text profile as well.

So for everyone who has used GSA in the past, do I need to wait more time for the links to kick in? How much time does it usually take for a GSA or RankerX campaign before you start seeing any serp movement? Is there anything I'm missing with my campaign? I expected that a low competition keyword would have some type of SERP movement after this.

I would appreciate any comment on this.

2. Mark23

Mark23 Member

Any thoughts from any GSA user? @cardine?

3. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

This is a hard question to answer without looking directly at the backlink profile and authority of all the sites ranking above you. You mentioned you didn't think they were very authoritative, although there is still a very large range of non authority sites. Similarly you say your onpage is better, but that is still hard to objectively say.

At this point it seems like low quality links got you to page 2 - but that might be the extent of the power they can give you for this keyword. I think a month is too early to draw any definitive conclusions, but if I was looking for an action item to do in the meantime it would be to find just a handful of medium-high quality links that could very easily move the needle by themselves.

That's the advice I would give to you, although I think there is only so much insight I (or anyone else) can provide without actually putting your site (and each site in the top 10) into Ahrefs and looking at what each sites' link profile looks like in terms of authority, relevance, and spammyness.

n00b and Mark23 like this.
  4. Richard Clayderman

Richard Clayderman New Member

I think RankerX is a stronger product and Unique content is one of the most important pieces to ranking. If You can use both,you will get a good result

5. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Google put you in a little holding pattern to see what you would do. If you send links to the site while it's on the second page then it will either hold you there even longer or trip a manual review. I watched a live call where Greg Morrison showed an example where he had bought one really powerful link and Google stuck him on the second page. He said it was a trap and you just had to wait it out.

I'm hearing that Google has gotten really good at banning domains or at the very least refusing to index any more pages from domains being exploited by SER. Someone complained to an Indexer service employee on BW that his GSA SER links were getting indexed then deindexed 24 hours later. I didn't even manually check my SER links when I was running campaigns a few month months back. Saw no movement either way.

6. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

What's the CitationFlow for the top 10 ranking pages and domains? What's your site's CF and your homepage's CF?

45 Tier 1 links with 765 tier 2 links adds CF 27 to your site. If your competitors are CF 28 or higher, you won't overtake them. That's if you have 100% indexation of tier2 and tier1 and no tier3 and 1 link per page (inbound or outbound). Most likely, your not at 100% indexation and have more than 1 link/page.

If there are 5 links/page and 100% indexation, that would add CF13 to your site. That's not much (unless the competition is super low).

Also, you're taking way too long to rank this site. 10 months and you've built a total of 71 tier1 links? Dude, I build 180 tier1 links on week 1.

Cool hearsay and, no, that algorithm that tests if a webmaster make a change to his/her website after rankings drop doesn't last for 10 months. It lasts for, at most, 1 month.

Mark23 likes this.
  7. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Ok, so you recommend adding 180 tier 1 links in a week, got it.

And what kind of links are these? How are you getting them?

8. Bender Bending Rodríguez

No comment.

9. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Here is an article about Google detects "spammers" by their reaction in the search engines:
    http://www.seobythesea.com/2012/08/google-rank-modifying-spammers-patent/

Mark23 likes this.
  10. Mark23

Mark23 Member

This makes sense to me as I have several pages that have been stuck on Page 2 for at least 2 months. How long would you wait before sending your next link?

11. Mark23

Mark23 Member

The citation flow for the page is 21 and 14 for the homepage. My PBN's are hidden so my CF metrics are coming from Web 2.0 links.
    The page & domain citation flows for the top 10 results are:
    1) 26 & 31
    2) 26 & 21
    3) 7 & 19
    4) 21 & 19
    5) 7 & 87 (ebay)
    6) 17 & 19
    7) 0 & 27
    8) 28 & 25 (also ranking #10)
    9) 16 & 38
    10) 26 & 25 (also ranking #8)

The page ranking #3 is not even hiding his PBN links. It's ranking with just 2 PBN links. His domain is TF 7, CF 19, 136 RD, but a lot of comment spam and 50% of all his links are nofollow.

Thanks for your comments. I have been link building slowly with PBN's for all my sites and I can see now that its not working. How fast would you send PBN links to your money sites?

How would you approach boosting this page from spot #16-18 to page 1? PBN's? More Web 2.0's?

12. Mark23

Mark23 Member

Thanks for the article. I understand why they do it. But I didn't make any abrupt changes to my link building. I kept a constant and slow rate of link building even when I was stuck on page 2 for 4+ months.

13. Bender Bending Rodríguez

PM me the URL and keyword.

Also, what's the indexation rate for your PBN posts? lets say your domain is pbn.com and you made a post, which is pbn.com/article.html. If googling site:[inserted so it won't become a smily]pbn.com/article.html shows 0 results, the post wasn't indexed and no CF was passed to the main site.

With 26 PBN links, you can just check for indexation by hand with the site colon operator.

If some posts aren't indexed, you'll need to build links to them.

Mark23 likes this.
  14. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

I can only tell you what he said, and that is that he could end up waiting as long as "10 months" to get past that filter. You probably got a link or several links that would have shot you up to #1 had it not been for this artificial filter. If that is the case then what would be the point of adding more links at all? Or maybe stopping linking is what gets you caught I couldn't really say.

It's obviously better to go slow with your links, but Google can see that you get a link with a certain amount of ranking power every so often. Otherwise they would not have put you in this sandbox.

The only thing I could think to check is whether or not your PBN is actually getting traffic and passing it on to your main domain. Maybe look at the site structure if not (adding some supporting pages, etc. etc..). Anything that you can actually get ranked in the top 10 that is sending traffic back to your site with a link high up in the copy can help pull it up into the top 10 (even if it is a nofollow link). Google trusts links from sites that rank in the top 10 for a target keyword.

Mark23 likes this.
  15. Mark23

Mark23 Member

I'm glad I did this test. 9 of the PBN links are not indexed by Google. Next step is to try to get them indexed. PM sent

16. shaunm

shaunm Active Member

OP, This is the kind of stuff I have used in the past to rank using GSA SER. All for the same page, the ones with the 0 in their submitted column are T1 links the ones with values in their submitted links are T2 projects.

[​IMG]

I think I must be misunderstanding this as a pages CF value has very little to do with its possition in the ranks. The below is the rankings for the keyword targeted by the above linking campaign. My domain is second, has on page directly targeting the keyword but page one has better links to its page so it wins even though it has a lower CF.

[​IMG]

17. Bender Bending Rodríguez

It is possible to rank #1 for this keyword. The #1 site has 32,000 backlinks and from 1,300 domains and 487 subnets. Its a TF8 and CF 31 domain. Totally do-able.

It'll take 6 months of work and 12 months to rank. How much would it cost to do all the work? If you outsource some of the grunt work, $6,000 would be a reasonable budget for this keyword and if you do it all by yourself, $2,000 would be a reasonable budget.

The keyword has 2,900 searches/month. At a 2.5 multiplier (for long tail keywords), 2% conversion rate, and $9 revenue per conversion, that's $1,300/month from this keyword.

Lets say you do it all by yourself. $2,000 and 6 months of work would be worth it for anyone for $1,300/month in cash flow.

Like, to give you a comparison, a studio apartment in downtown San Diego costs $500,000 and it'll get $1,300 in rental income. You're going to get the same amount of income with a fraction of the capital.

#1 has a lot of links from AdSense scraper sites. These sites do have CF and are passing link juice. You also can't match these links, so your link building has to be above his Total Actual Backlinks (Total Backlinks - Scraper Backlinks = Total Actual Backlinks).

I did a quick review of #1's backlinks and it looks like he/she/they have only a few good links. I didn't go through every page of backlinks in Majestic so I'll guess he has 50 good backlinks. These are from actual mentions in a publication. This is for his/her/their whole domain, nor for the page.

#1 also has a link of links from forums. This wasn't xRumer or another automated forum posting software, it was from forum members discussing products and some of them linked to his article in the discussion. These links are totally easy to get -- just make a list of all forum backlinks, register, and mention how you wrote another article too. These individuals are buyers of the product, it'll be a good move to introduce them to your brand as well as get the backlink.

So, yeah, here's a plan for you dude:
    1.) Download the backlinks for all competitors in the top 10 and go through them by hand (backlinks to the URls if the domain isn't relevant or backlinks for the whole domain if it is a relevant site). Classify where they got their links from. When that's all done, combine the spreadsheets into one sheet and obtain all forum backlinks, comment backlinks, web 2.0 backlinks, op-ed backlinks, pbn backlinks, outreach backlinks, etc that you can. This would take a month.
    2.) On month two, week 1, make a list of free, reciprocal, and paid directories and submit your site to all free and reciprocal ones. For paid ones, compare their price, CF, and TF to figure which ones are good buys. I'd say $1,000 is a good budget for this for your site. BOTW is $300 in itself but the 2nd purchase is $150, so you can save some money if you have 2+ sites.
    3.) Contact car bloggers and ask them if they want an expert's guide about car audio on their blog (or some other pitch). A 1% link acquisition rate is totally do-able. That means you'll have to send out 5,000 emails to match his 50 good links. 100 emails/hour is totally do-able too. So you'll have to spend 50 hours writing emails (plus the time it takes to build the outreach list, organize it, respond to the emails, and write the article). I think, if you're working 20 hours/week on this site, it'll take you a month or two to get these 50 links.
    4.) So, we're at month 3 or 4 already. By this point, your site should have a lot of backlinks. You can begin to write more articles about lower volume and lower competition keywords. I'm fairly certain you're new to link building, so from going through step 1 and step 3, you would have found out what type of links your most efficient at obtaining. Keep getting more links.

IMO, by month 6, you could totally stop working on the site, check it on month 12, and re-evaluate it based upon your ranking.

It is also possible to compete with #1 directly for all their keywords, but, from looking at your link building and site, I don't think you have that capability yet.

So, yeah dude, you have a lot of grunt work to do.

LissaK and Mark23 like this.
  18. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Mark23 likes this.
  19. Mark23

Mark23 Member

Thank you both for comments. Bender I owe you big time. I don't mind doing the work at all. I'm looking forward to it. The difficult part about SEO to me is being frustrated because the work you thought would rank your site didnt work.

Slymeasy thanks for those posts. I have a lot of PBN links for 20+ money sites that probably need to be indexed too.

20. Bender Bending Rodríguez

There are 11 results on this table, not 10. Is the first result a featured snippet ( https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6229325?hl=en )? and is it ranking #4 and also appearing in the featured snippet slot?

If so, featured snippets are calculated by a different algorithm. Your site is already ranking #1 in organic, the featured snippet is just appearing above organic results.

cardine likes this.