Case Study Ranking a site without original content

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by dzianis, Dec 17, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JimKata

JimKata New Member

Yup, the webhook is something ifttt does not have (even though they started way before Zapier). As a dev, the webhooks let me hook up to services that zapier doesn't support. Either by directly POSTing to the other service's API or to my own server that acts an intermediary.

BTW, if you want to test out outgoing webhooks you can use http://requestb.in/

cardine likes this.
  2. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Yeah RequestB.in is great. For incoming requests I used to use Hurl.it and I now just use a Chrome plugin.

3. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

...Well looks like this "case study" will be over soon and my initial assumption was wrong - Google got better and does not rank stolen content that well (or that easy) anymore.

The site has several hundreds indexed pages, at least one new post is published daily, it had around 1K links dripped to it over one month, it's got a ton of social mentions - but all I ever got ranking-wise is this:

[​IMG]
    1 keyword out of 33 tracked ranking between 6th and 8th pages of Bing.

Had this site been filled with original content there would've been something a lot earlier - at least an in-top-100 ranking for a longtail keyword (I tracked and targeted plenty). With the amount of links and social mentions this would've been a ranker ages ago. I've had autoblogs with unreadable but unique content rank from nothing but internal links in new posts published hourly.

This one did not even move up on Google for the smallest keyword I was tracking, not even for a day.

At this point it looks pretty clear to me and I won't invest any more time into this.

Here's what I can conclude:

- Duplicate content does not rank on Google, or ranks A LOT harder
    - Bing is either being slow or it keeps content scrapers unranked too.

Thanks for all the input in the thread everyone! :)

I'll turn this site into a link donor for a couple of parasites I got ranking in the same niche. I'll also get some simple content written for it once my VA gets some free time and publish it, see what happens.

shaqattaq, goal, Anaconda and 3 others like this.
  4. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations - this is one of the first case studies to conclude because we have either definitively proven the original claim one way or another. All really awesome and useful info, and it will hopefully help someone else in the future who is wondering whether a site can rank with solely curated content!

It would definitely be interesting if the site suddenly started ranking after adding unique content to it.

Do you think that it still has ranking power as a Tier 1 in its current state or do you think you could conclude from this case study that not only does Google not rank sites with duplicate content but that it doesn't value them in any way?

5. Golan

Golan Established Member

Very interesting results. And very useful to know. New reality... SEO is dead again...

6. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

Interesting result, thanks for putting in the hard work and reporting back. I thought you would have done better too. Looks like I need to focus on the tedious task of writing content or at least copyscaping some nicely spun content.

7. Raisen Espinosa

Raisen Espinosa Member

UPDATE: Just got in, google will not rank any articles even it's optimized. It has to be promoted regardless of the quality of the content. It means, well-spun content will potentially rank when it's promoted. In my mind, it's just like a news article posts being spun and promoted.

Note, I cannot confirm this for I haven't tried it.

8. miedy

miedy New Member

This is very possible. I've seen my site content copied from top to button and his ranking 2nd and me 5th for the same keyword. Hate it but true.

Raisen Espinosa likes this.
  9. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

Hey dzianis great effort here with keeping us all updated, something really strikes me as a bit strange though, the effort you put in should have gotten you some sort of results weather the content was duplicate or not there was still a lot of activity being generated both socially and with the inks you built, I did this last year for an adult 4$ signup affiliate site, all that was on the site I used were scraped images no text at all and Google treated it well, this is just a thought but is it possible Google has someway of detecting the use of IFTT being used and just ignores it, it would be interesting to pull the content needed via rss into a subdomain of the site sort it and post that way, the reason I have my doubts about IFTT is everyone and their mother are just doing the same thing reposting in all directions and for that reason google could just mark it as noise and move on. I could be completely talking shit but it's a thought.

10. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

I feel what you're saying, I've done it in the past too with PART scraped content, part original - but none of the pages on the case study domain had any original content whatsoever, maybe that's all there is to it.

Makes a lot of sense, but IFTTT is "visible" only on my social profiles, the site itself is just text, images and outgoing links. It's indexed well, it's got backlinks, yet no ranks at all... Or maybe they're just watching me in everything I do and push the button? :) I kinda "do not agree" with the result myself since I know content scraping is everywhere, but it really seems that 100% scraped content sites weigh very, very little.

11. Gerry Downey

Gerry Downey New Member

The reason why I say it in the first place is I don't doubt for a second that you really wanted to see a result either way, meaning you did give it a fair shot, so in the bit of seo that i know of what should have happened was traffic should have started to gain and then tank, hmmm interesting but at the same time disturbing.

12. EnolaDanne

EnolaDanne New Member

Thanx for this post
    You have introduced yourself but I recommend - watch a special video for the order to introducing yourself correctly - I think that it is business that you have to do correctly!