Question SEO Contest Suggestions?

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by cardine, Feb 10, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Criks

Criks Member

Fiverr/BHW link-blast to win?

2. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

I'm not 100% on this idea. It would do a good job simulating real life and in theory sounds really good. However it would in my opinion also lead to a lot less excitement throughout the contest, as there will be one or two people with a lot of points and then almost everyone else with virtually zero points.

emp and dzianis like this.
  3. emp

emp Senior Member

I see your point.

4. cardine

Here are my final iteration of rules. Unless anyone has some major objections this is what we will roll with when we launch the contest next week:

1. We will do a real keyword of low to medium competition where ranking on SERPs would translate to actual lead or revenue generation
    2. We will determine the standings based on a cumulative total. Each day you get X points where X is 100 - your position that day
    3. The contest will be 90 days long
    4. Domains must be freshly registered after the contest starts
    5. The keyword will be private until the end of the contest
    6. Users will be encouraged to post in the main contest thread detailing what strategies they are using. Any winner must post a thread detailing what strategies they employed to win in order to be eligible for any prize they might have won.

Rewards will be given to the person in 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place.

In addition to the main standings, there will also be three additional side contests with prizes of their own:
    The person who gets the most points in the first two weeks
    The person who gets the most points in the last two weeks
    The person with the most days spent in the top 5

If anyone has any final input (especially regarding point 6) let me know. Otherwise I will spend some time this weekend figuring out what a good keyword would be and getting the rest of the contest itself set up.

Anaconda likes this.
  5. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

I skim read so may have missed this.
    I assume we will be giving you @cardine our keyword and url to track so everything on level playing field?

I'm in. Although with such tough and knowledgeable competition I'm probably going to use it as a learning tool rather than any real hope of a prize LOL

cardine likes this.
  6. cardine

Yes. Since I'm organizing the contest I won't be participating in it, so I'll have everyone's domain name they are trying to rank. Throughout the contest once a week I will update the main contest thread with everyone's rankings and how many points each person has accumulated so far.

So during the contest each participant will know the keyword, and at the end of the contest we will reveal the keyword and everyone's site.

Awesome! :)

7. Anaconda

Since this should be about fun as well - how about a prize for the worst entry? People need to make a real effort but if they fail at least everyone will have learned what not to do. That has value too.

Some of the members have not only huge experience but also outstanding resources. I think resources should be factored in as well. Many of us will be on shared hosting and some will have blazing fast servers, for instance. I don't have 50 proxies at my disposal, nor do I have much in the way of backlinking tools - although I may sign up to something like FCS for the contest and a few fiverr gigs.

I'm happy to do full disclosure because it such a good way for me to track what I did and who know, maybe I have a different perspective on things. I'm happy to receive constructive criticism of my efforts - that way I'll learn from some of the best.

8. sites

sites Active Member

Regarding point #2:

What if the site is not indexed, especially during the first few days? Zero points?
    What if rank is > 100 (especially during the initial phase)? Negative points or zero?

Since search results are personalized, who will track the rankings and from where (USA - East?)? (Sorry if this has been answered earlier)

9. cardine

If the site is not ranking or is not in the top 100 you would get zero points for that day.

We'll be using Micosite Masters to track rankings.

This one is a little tricky because there will be a lot of people with zero points who just never enter the top 100 to begin with - you could just never actually make a site and you would be tied for first for this prize. Also if we made the rule "the lowest score that is greater than zero" the second someone gets a single day of ranking in the top 100 they could take their site offline and win that prize. We could maybe do something for "most days ranking in the bottom 50" but I will need to think about this a little bit.

If anyone has any ideas for how to structure a "lowest score" prize without making it easy to game, I'd love to hear them!

sites likes this.
  10. dzianis

dzianis Moderator Staff Member

I think there should be no "lowest score" prize at all.

11. Anaconda

^^ LOL . Thought I'd do a little keyword research to get ahead before I start work for the week. I've gathered 11,000 keywords - that's the overthinking prize gone. Oh wait there isn't an overthinking prize! I still haven't found something I like and can monetize.

12. nanexo

nanexo Member

I agree as there aren't any rewards in the real world either.
    SEO is win all or lose all.
    Did anyone mention the prizes yet?
    Also will it be known who will enter like a public member list of who is running in the contest?

13. cardine

Haven't announced the prizes yet although if there is something specific that you (or anyone else) had in mind send me a PM as we are still making the final touches on exactly what is going to be offered. Similarly if anyone here is a tool provider who wants to offer someone to the winner (or the top 3) then also feel free to send me a PM and we can possibly work something out.
    Yes, although each persons site will be hidden until the end, the actual contestants themselves will be publicly known and every week we will update the standings so everyone can see where each person is ranking.

Anaconda and nanexo like this.
  14. Anaconda

Personally I'd like subs to any of your tools although some of the ppl entering will already have those

15. sites

sites Active Member

Bump.
    When will this start? Anytime soon?

16. cardine

We will start it next week. We were hoping to do it this week but we were still organizing prizes for different tools from different SEO companies and figured it would be better to wait the extra week and have a better and more comprehensive prize list.

Anaconda, nanexo and sites like this.
  17. dzianis

What about paid contest entry and thus the prize fund? Dem monies

18. Anaconda

Getting more interesting by the day. :cool:

Nah :D

19. sites

sites Active Member

Personally: Not a problem if it is in bitcoins. :)
    Overall: I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶.̶ ̶H̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶(̶i̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶i̶p̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶t̶)̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶ (Edit: UPDATE: apparently I was wrong - see next post) ,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶u̶p̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶e̶.̶

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  20. dzianis

The one held @ WF in 2013 had a $25 entry fee.

sites likes this.