SEO Outside of Bing and Google

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by Bender Bending Rodríguez, Oct 23, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

I'm just looking into this but you guys might be interested.

Earlier this month, Baidu sent a site of mine 600 visitors over a few days. The site is offered in Chinese. I never considered Baidu SEO before but, after looking into it, it looks VERY tempting.

They own like 80% of the Chinese market and the search engine is seriously from 2004. It still uses meta-tags and meta-descriptions to rank sites. From what I've read, spam links work on Baidu very, very well (it was a spam link building campaign that got me the initial 600 visitors).

Baidu is very odd in that it prefers .cn sites, sites hosted in mainland China, and sites that have ICP license (see https://www.wikiwand.com/en/ICP_license ). It even has a Censorship Penalty, where pages containing content against the Community Party's guidelines are penalized.

I think that, after the site has been set up, it'll be like 2004 all over again and one could do something as retarded as build 1,000 forum links (from Chinese forums) to a domain every day and rank well. I'm also putting Naver, Yandex, 360, and Sogou on my to-research list too.

2. pinchee

pinchee Member

This sounds awesome. Does the content need to be in Chinese?

3. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Yeah, Baidu is biased towards Simplified Chinese. The content should be in Simplified Chinese, not Traditional or some other dialect.

4. Simseen

Simseen Active Member

Sounds like a market, there is worth investing some time in!

Do you know the prices on content written in Simplified Chinese?

5. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

How is the monetization part of it? I don't think it would be that hard to get extremely cheap content written in Chinese but if content costs 90% less, links cost 90% less (since spam works well), but you are also making 90% less from ads then it all sort of comes out as a wash. So to me the viability of Baidu SEO would depend very strongly on the availability of a strong way to monetize the traffic.

6. Bender Bending Rodríguez

No idea but I also think one would need to hire a translator and work with him/her to ensure that anchors, title tags, meta-tags, meta-descriptions and the like are also properly translated. Since this is China, I have a feeling that $10/hour would be a good wage.

(Just checked on Freelancer. It appears that $10-$20 an hour is the range).

The website was selling a service. The offer works for any nationality, really.

So, for you, the first idea I have is creating a Chinese MSM that tracks Baidu, 360, and SoGou, and targets Chinese keywords.

FUCK! The SaaS that I talked to you about a few months back might apply to the Chinese market too. I just have to figure out what's the Chinese keywords are.

7. Bender Bending Rodríguez

WOW China is WILD!

Basically, a site will need an ICP License. Baidu has a preference for sites with ICP Licenses. I've also read that non-Chinese sites without an ICP License are blocked after a grace period.

An ICP License is basically a permit from the Chinese government to start a website. The license is typically placed in the site's footer. One needs to apply for a license and tell the government what the site will be about before one can create the site.

How does one get an ICP License? Basically, a foreigner would need to start a Wholly Foreign Owned Entity.

Yeah, you'll need to start a Chinese company to rank in Baidu. This requires at least a 15,000 USD investment (the minimum amount varies from industry).

The website is going to have no content that's against the Communist Government's guidelines (as it must be OK'd with beforehand and as Baidu has blacklisted words... which I'm guessing are stuff like "rights" "democracy" and "free speech")... AND! on top of all that, the WFOE owes Chinese taxes!

Fuck that shit!

I found out that Sina Blog is really popular in China ( http://blog.sina.com.cn/ ) ... and it has an ICP license. I thought about using that site for parasites and then funnel the traffic to my American site... but then I realized that, since the American site does not have a ICP License, the traffic might get blocked by the Chinese ISP :(

Looks like I'll target Spanish, Hindi, and Arabic instead.

EDIT: It's still worth it to translate a site into Chinese IMO. There are 50,000,000 Chinese living outside of China who can use the... errr... Free Internet (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Chinese ).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. emp

emp Senior Member

From all I know (from International Security and Journalism people) is that the big Chinese firewall has loads of holes.

So translating your content into chinese might very well be worth it.

9. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

This might still be a good path as long as your main site doesn't sell anything that China would inherently have a problem with.

How many of those people still use Baidu? I know several people in the US who are originally from China and they generally all still use Baidu when searching something in Chinese.

10. Simseen

Simseen Active Member

I have another question.

In China they got single letters there describe whole words or sentences - Do you till ord an article of ex 500 words, or how do you count that in Chinese?

11. Bender Bending Rodríguez

No idea. What we did was have a translator translate the English pages into Chinese.

Simseen likes this.
  12. Simseen

Simseen Active Member

It sounds like the best way to do it.

I think you have more control over the content this way. But on the other side.. You can't proof read it

13. blank_check

blank_check Member

I am doing something similar with my site. I am eventually going to translate it into Chinese, but am doing Russian and Spanish first. There are more than enough Chinese speakers outside of China + VPNs to get traffic.

14. samcane

samcane New Member

Huh, didn't even know this thread existed. I just did this exact thing - translate one of my affiliate sites entirely into Chinese, mostly as a test.

Had previously looked into buying a .cn domain, but my findings were the same as Bender's - the buyer had to be a Chinese company in order to purchase the domain.

I'm wondering if that's changed though, as I just did a quick search, and found a bunch of different domain name companies advertising that you can purchase a .cn through them. If this is now possible (and they don't turn around requiring you to register a company etc), I imagine it's because they act as a proxy. If not, then that's probably a business someone could start....

Having said that, I've done a number of searches in Baidu with the translated keywords, and all of the top ranking sites are translated .coms, so I don't think there's a algorithmic preference for .cn....either that, or the niche I'm in is bereft of local competition (which I find *very* hard to believe, given the nature of the niche).

cardine likes this.
  15. samcane

samcane New Member

Just a quick update on this.

Conversion rates have nearly doubled this month, since translated pages were published.

Prior months the site was averaging conversion rates of 4%. This month, now that the pages have been published, conversion rates are nearly at 7.9%

Obviously this could be purely coincidental/time of year/any other of a thousand reasons why conversions have increased, but it does seem rather too much of a coincidence.

Interestingly enough, since the translations have gone live, I haven't gotten any visits via Baidu.

So for now I'm assuming that the fact the site has translated pages is boosting it's perceived authority, hence users more liable to convert via my site.

cardine likes this.
  16. Bender Bending Rodríguez

I'll be testing this in December.

[​IMG]

Right now, the SaaS has emoji flags in the top right (see above) (Yeah, you can use Emoji's as anchor text in Wordpress and it'll be displayed in the menu -- pretty cool. It gets rendered by wordpress as .SVG's). I'll be running PPC ads with the language menu on and off to test if this is true.

If so, it costs like $20 per country for an accurate translation of a long landing page. The boost in conversions would be well worth it, not to mention non-English traffic.

Here's the list of Languages by Speakers if anyone's interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

samcane likes this.
  17. Clap Creative

Clap Creative New Member

This discussion is really informative and you have posted such precious and informative article which gave me lot of information. I hope that you will keep it up and we will have more informative and helping news from you. Thanks!