Question Should I be concerned yet?

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by TrailingStop, Nov 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

Quick SEO question.

I've been building a bunch of PBN links to a specific page on my website. Ranks have been moving up and I was hitting the first page for a bunch of the keywords I was after. Suddenly, the main keyword I've been after has completely disappeared off SERP completely. I find this a bit strange especially with the other keywords still ranking well. Let me explain better:

I'm ranking for:
    blue widget reviews
    blue widget coupon
    free blue widget
    bluewidget

BUT, I don't rank for "blue widget" no longer. Find it a bit suspect that I rank for "bluewidget" but not for "blue widget". Before I disappeared, I was holding spot #11.

I've had about 35 links built to this page so far, and everything has been fine until 13 days ago. Is this just a google dance or is there a possibility that this is some sort of penalty? I do have the domain hooked up to Google Webmaster Tools and there is no manual action message.

Thanks.

2. emp

emp Senior Member

Most likely Google dancing.

This is not the time for rash action.

Review your content and see where and how you can add value.

Do you have images? Could they be better?
    Do you have some good "how to use blue widget" article? Tutorials?
    Do you have videos? DO you have a youtube channel? G+? facebook? Twitter?
    What other articles could you write?
    Who can you reach out to?

etc etc..

Take this as a two week vacation from maniacally watching your stats and see what you can improve.

::emp::

Slymeasy and SEOManDan like this.
  3. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

Thanks for the tips. I can definitely look towards adding more content to the page, at the moment its at 900 words with 8+ images. There is no social activity leading to the page though.

Can this be a sign of an over-optimization penalty? I did make a lazy mistake in that the 35 links that were built, none of those consisted of generic, brand, or naked anchors. Every one of those anchors had a variation of my keyword within a 3-4 word phrase.

I was thinking about building more links to the page, but specifically using generic/brand/naked anchors so the anchor profile looks more natural - but I'm not sure if that would help if the page is already penalized.

4. emp

emp Senior Member

Don't over analyze. Build clean now.
    Add good content and good links.

There was a patent application by Google floating around a while ago.
    Basically detecting spammers by their reaction to a SERP change.

You flip out and buy 10K links? Gone.

Slymeasy likes this.
  5. emp

emp Senior Member

Also... 900 words?

Total?

There sure is content to be written.

6. emp

emp Senior Member

7. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

Thanks for the link to the patent.

Yes, that specific page only has 900 words of content. Granted, the whole site as a whole has 50k+ words of content.

In one of my responses I mentioned building more links with better anchor diversity and I see that you've mentioned building links as well - should I proceed as I've stated, add another 10-20 strong backlinks but this time around they will all be non-keyword anchors.

8. emp

emp Senior Member

Sure.

The patent is basically "let'se see who freaks out and points massive SAPE and PBN links at a site the moment it rank changes"

I think a good rule of thumb is "never more links than a page has visitors per day".

I change that to .5*visitors/day max. That way, it looks natural.

9. phrench

phrench Member

What percentage of your 35 links contains the phrase "blue widget" in the anchor text?

10. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

All 35 links are phrases, and within each phrase you'all find "blue widget". So 100%.

11. phrench

phrench Member

Ok. And since you built the PBN yourself I assume all links are coming from the homepage of the PBN sites and all domains were expired domains?

To sum it up:
    • all links from the homepage
    • all links contain the money keyword (phrase match)
    • all links come from expired domains
    Correct?

If so, this proofs how Google still sucks at detecting PBNs and/or the new real-time Penguin is really gentle in terms of not having negative impact ;)

My advice: 50% phrase match anchors at max. Although I wouldn't feel comfortable to edit the existing anchors, not sure how Google treats this.

Branded and generic anchors always belong to the mix and never hurt!

12. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

That's correct, except that maybe only 50% were homepage links. The rest I placed on inner pages.

I made a novice mistake in over-optimizing the page, just that typically I make a few keyword heavy backlinks to see where the ranks end up, and then begin working on building more links and diversifying them properly. I didn't expect that 30-35 links would have flung my page to top 15 for nearly all the keywords considering the competitors on the first page.

13. phrench

phrench Member

That's better. Why not delete the inner pages, let Google re-index the website with the deleted pages and after that re-publish the pages with new URL slugs, titles and anchors?

Or just point new links to the site with strictly brand and generic anchors.

14. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

I rather not touch any links that have been built already since I feel that Google may use that action as a way to flag my website.

I'll just build more links, and make them brand/generic anchors. I'll also work on adding another 500 words of text to the page. I'll keep this thread updated on what comes out of all of this in case anyone else goes through the same.

15. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

So I've begun the process of adding brand & generic anchors to the page's backlink profile. In total, I will be adding a total of 15 new links towards the page; keep in mind that there are only 35 links pointing to that page to begin with.

In addition, the only retroactive change I've done was change my wikipedia backlink. Up to today, it was a phrase match of my main keyword, and I've now changed it to my brand. I figure that this change would seem more natural to Google as opposed to changing anchors on my PBN. It may not do much in terms of diversity, but it's a start.

16. I AM GOD

I AM GOD New Member

are you getting any social signals to anything???

17. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

That's being worked on as we speak right now. I honestly haven't been a big believer of social signals since I've ranked a shit ton of pages for great keywords with zero to minimum social signals. Either way, throwing it into the mix this time around just in case it's needed to make things appear more natural.

Something I want to also mention. I do have GWM hooked up on this domain and on some days over the past weeks, it would show impressions to "blue widget" (@ position 7), even though no matter how I check things, it's no where to be seen. Also, based upon the amount of impressions shown, it's obvious that if it did appear, it was for a short period of time during day considering it would show 15-30 impressions for the day, while the term gets around 200 searches daily.

On top of that, even MicroSite Masters was able to ping my ranking as #7 a few days ago, but hasn't been able to find it since.

So it does seem that my deserved position for the term is actually #7, it's just a matter of removing whatever penalty I have on that page so that Google freely displays it in search.

I AM GOD likes this.
  18. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

Just to keep everyone in the loop, so far the main keyword hasn't returned. Keep in mind that the new links I've been building are still being built and not all have been indexed. On the flip side, for the keywords that never disappeared, their rankings have continued to improve.

19. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

Great news!

Earlier today, my ranking for "blue widget" has returned and am currently sitting at #10. I'm able to visibly see it, and my tracking tools are also picking up the position.

Just to re-cap, after penalizing a page on my website with 35 heavy keyword anchors, I followed up with 15 strong generic/brand anchors, and rankings for my page have been restored. The funny thing is that only half of the 15 new backlinks have been indexed so far.

20. TrailingStop

TrailingStop Member

Just like that, I've disappeared for "blue widget" and "bluewidget", AGAIN. Pretty strange but this time I'm not as alarmed as I was the first time around. The interesting thing is that over the last days that it was showing, the rankings continued to rise. I was actually #3 for "blue widget" yesterday before it disappeared completely which was pretty tight for a term that gets searched 1,500 times daily.

So with those two keywords gone again, the other variations are still up and are also holding onto the boost in ranking over the past few days. What I'm going to do now is continue building generic anchors and get more social proof to the page.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.