Tell Us About Your Business

Discussion in 'Building Your Business' started by cardine, Dec 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Since this forum is pretty new I figured it would be a good idea for people to introduce themselves and how they are making money online (or trying to make money online).

So what is your online business and what type of online business are you currently building?

Michell Brannon likes this.
  2. Paul

Paul Member

Let me start this off :). I've started 6 years ago with a simple Wordpress affiliate site. Actually I started my first online business 19 years ago when I was 13 and I thought it was a good idea to start a dating site. That turned out a bit harder than I thought..

Anyways, picked up again after finishing university with the said affiliate site. Pretty soon that site ranked and was making money and I was hooked to this seemingly easy way of starting a business. I discovered Flippa not long after and started buying websites. At the time, most sites went for ridiculously low multiples so I picked up a few good ones and started to grow my portfolio.

I'm still actively buying web properties although I try to not buy many and focus on a few niches (I'm mostly in the graphic design niche now). I work with a team of freelancers who I hire on an on-going basis and help me with the things I can't/don't want to do myself like development, design and simple repetitive tasks. I like this way of operating because it keeps me location independent and I dislike an office with permanent staff (I had it a few years ago and it really felt like working. :))

Hope I can contribute to this forum and learn new things. I've been looking for a good place for a while to spend a bit of time and so far this seems like a good place to be!

3. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for leading it off, sounds awesome and I look forward to hearing more about your web properties - you might also want to check out Nate's case study as it progresses!

I'll also post an intro for myself:
    I'm the owner of WordAi and Microsite Masters. I also have a bunch of SEO properties and a couple other small SEO related businesses. Most of those SEO properties are from years ago before WordAi or MSM even existed, although at the beginning a big reason for each of those three businesses existing was simply to make my life easier.

Right now I'm also working on Apex Forum (if you couldn't tell!), and also me and the rest of our team is working on a program to automatically write articles.

I'm a bit of an AI geek - back when I was doing SEO I took a very data driven and numbers driven approach to it, and that approach has followed me to the products that we are working on right now. I love thinking about how Google's algorithms actually work and approaching it as if you are reverse engineering a very sophisticated program... since that's exactly what many SEOers are indirectly doing anyways!

Paul, Kenneth Golden and Oneitshop like this.
  4. John Hernandez

John Hernandez Member

I do a lot of things really. Most are hobbies more than "business".

I sell websites to both companies with no website and those with old out of date sites. This is B2B and mostly involves cold calling offline companies.

I also have an evergreen site that brings in a good amount of adsense income, as well as more than a few affiliate blogs that bring in adsense and affiliate earnings.

I also draw and create both android games and comic/animated games. I have a cool idea for creating a "choose your own adventure" comic/game for Youtube that I have yet to see done by anyone else, and I assume something of that nature would go viral.

I also have a millions of dollars investment idea in the back of my idea notebook for a cloud based OS that somehow I would want to stuff a bunch of patents on as soon as possible if I possibly could. The whole idea is written down as a 20 page idea and would make friggin millions.

Most of the time I am drawing story boards for animated "what if" versions of crappy tv shows, my own ideas for youtube series and so on.

So, those hobbies could turn into business if I apply them, just finding the time or building a team is what I would need to do.

cardine and Kenneth Golden like this.
  5. Easymoney

Easymoney New Member

I started my online marketing journey about 6 months ago after I developed a product I could really be proud of. I have been involved with an energy supplement company since 2008 and have placed product in thousands of stores. Unfortunately lack of proper marketing funds have made the product languish. However, I monitor the web sales of the company and setup the Amazon products and noticed that once a customer buys the product, they usually continue to buy it. There are many customers that order monthly supplies. After working on a project in the Medical Marijuana space for a year, I decided to launch my own product and learn how to do the marketing on my own so I could earn the retail markups on the product.

I developed the product and packaging and created a website and landing pages to promote the product. It has been a challenge to grow the business as fast as I would like because there are limits on the advertising allowed so I decided to work on my own seo and am working on building blogs and making posts to help grow organically. The challenge is creating all of the content required to really be able to make a difference in where the site comes up in the organic search results.

I have spent the last 2 months building the beginning of a blog site and twitter account to help promote my product. I get a lot of emails from different software developers for many different benefits, content, seo, scrapers, so much stuff I really can't imagine owning all of it. I am selling my product to retailers and online and would love to have leads come in from my seo efforts. The one piece of software that I have found that may help lighten the load for me is an article spinner. I still haven't figured out fully how to benefit from it, but I do know that I can't type as fast as the softwares can create content. This small post has taken me over 5 minutes to write and at that pace it will take me years to create enough content to make a difference.

I understand fully how to develop and manufacture product and now need to learn how to create some viral marketing to promote it. The margins on supplements are incredible and they allow me to pay a really nice cpa. IF I can figure out how to generate my own traffic I could reduce the cost of traffic by at least 50% and either lower my prices or make myself that much more money. I am going to participate in these forums and try to be as useful as I can within the scope of knowledge that I have and learn as much as I can in the process.

emp, cardine and Kenneth Golden like this.
  6. Oneitshop

Oneitshop New Member

Greetings from Pakistan and Nice to Meet you! We all love your MicrositeMaster. Very Friendly user

megodon likes this.
  7. Kenneth Golden

Kenneth Golden New Member

I started my business back in November of 2006. This was after being completely wiped out by Hurricane Katrina, after it hit New Orleans. I relocated my family and myself to Baton Rouge, LA and got a management position with CVS. My aspirations included having my own business, which would enable me to stop working for others.

I decided to start a one person corporation which I named Gold e-Business Communications Inc. This action allowed me to branch out into diverse areas which include Internet Marketing, Content Writing, Green Industry Expansion, Various industry Consulting, and numerous other fields which became divisions of my corporation.

As a rule, I am constantly looking for new viable income streams along with new friends. Below are Five of my sites / income streams.

Site One - Click here
    Site Two - Click Here
    Site Three - Click Here
    Site Four - Click Here
    Site Five - Click Here

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Anaconda likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael New Member

Haha, all you people here are lightyears ahead of me.

I just started online in October of this year. My online business? Freelancing on Fiverr. I know it's not as glorious as what some of the other people are doing but it gets the bills paid.

Hopefully I can learn and get some ideas from this new forum, quite excited.

Anaconda and megodon like this.
  9. Kenneth Golden

Kenneth Golden New Member

Michael utilizing Fiverr is a smart move. I do it and remember the more streams of income you create, the faster you reach your financial goals.

Anaconda likes this.
  10. Criks

Criks Member

Since im new here i'll share my story aswell.

After working as a webdeveloper on a full-time base and being absolutely sick of it (and the fact my contract ended haha) i was wondering what i wanted to do with my life (27 years old now) after i graduated a few months back. I got an idea for a platform for small business owners here in The Netherlands and contacted a friend of mine which i met at our student-job a few years ago. He was in pretty much the same situation as i was and wanted to start for himself aswell. With that platform still in mind and having told him about it he decided he wanted to join in aswell so we went ahead and did our case-study, market study, financial study etc etc and decided to try our luck and get some information about a possible loan. When we had our conversations about the possible loans we were bummed that we didn't get approval. Since we were/are still young we decided to give those investors the famous 'middle-finger' and we promised each other that we would get it done anyway! So we decided to make our SEO/SEA/Graphic Design company here to get enough cashflow/starting capital to get that platform going.
    [By that time i had learned enough about (Organic) SEO that i felt confident doing it on a profesional level. Had been learning/studying Organic SEO since i started Uni in my off-hours, weekends, during holidays etc for the past 6 years]

Right now we have this company for almost 8 months, and decided to put the whole platform idea on the shelf for now. This so called 'side-company' has sky rocket'ed in these last 8 months to the extend that we have decided that this will become our main company. We are going strong!

cardine likes this.
  11. emp

emp Senior Member

So.. what do you do in fiverr?

::emp::

12. nicky

nicky Member

Hi everyone, I also would like to share my story briefly. In 2010 I started to create a directory for luxury hotels besides my day job as a craftsman. I hired an old friend of mine for doing the PHP work which was required to make a phpBB forum look like a professional hotel booking platform, haha. I even convinced various hotels to put my emblem on their website right next to tripadvisor in order to get listed.

After a year of working on it a guy from WickedFire asked me if I could code a tool which would automate some of his tasks. By that time I had no idea what this was all about but soon we agreed on working on a new project which turned out to be the Social Bookmarking Bomb. It did a bit better than my hotel directory. I actually never tried to work on that hotel project again but the page still holds a solid PR3. :)

After being slapped by the Google updates in 2012 I started to build myself a local webdesign and software company. Last year I relaunched that project under the name of NEYOU, check out my URL but the content is all German http://www.neyou.de.

Besides building my company I started to go to university in 2013 which I will finish this summer. After that I will probably focus fulltime on my business.

Right now I am working on several dev projects for local customers, mostly desktop software using C#. However, since a couple of weeks I am thinking about a new app which I really want to build. I hope I can work on that this summer as well.

Now being a part of this new forum might also get back into the SEO business. :)

emp and cardine like this.
  13. emp

emp Senior Member

Holy...

@nicky
    I spent most of my youth (12-23) in Göttingen.
    I'll hit you up for a coffee next time I am in town.

14. nicky

nicky Member

What really? @cardine never told me he knows people from my area.. :)

Yes for sure @emp, coffee's on me!

15. emp

emp Senior Member

@nicky
    he probably did not know, as I reside in Switzerland now.
    Still visit family some times, next time should be around Easter.

Will let you know.

16. laila904

laila904 New Member

Hello,
    I realize this is an old thread, however, I thought I should share my experience, perhaps someone is looking for an opportunity! Any way, I am 27 years old and working as an affiliate marketer for the SFM company. This is a company that teaches you how to build your own business and encourages you to follow what your heart and soul desires. If you are interested in learning more, send me your email and I will get back to you very soon!