The Upside of Stress: Anybody Read It?

Discussion in 'Apex Lounge' started by Bender Bending Rodríguez, Feb 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23281639-the-upside-of-stress

Looks cool. Basically, McGonical's argument is that stress does not negatively impact people's health like what was once beleived. A study showed that stress only negatively impact a person's health when the individual believe that it's unhealthy. The same study showed that, when individuals believe that stress is a normal part of life, they're health is good, regardless of stress. The book goes on to say how undertaking stressful things improves one's quality of life (duh!).

I'm willing to read it but couldn't find it on TPB. Anyone here have read it? Is it worth to read? Is it worth to buy?

If it was like her last book, I'd rather save myself from reading 300 pages of a secondary source and just read the research papers (A lot of The Willpower Instinct was interpreting research papers and applying it to dieters... yeah, I'll pass on that...).

2. emp

emp Senior Member

Really seems like an awful lot of fluff (just read the summary on blinkist)

Key message:
    Hwo you think about stress changes how it affects you.

As a psychologist: ARGH

Read the wikipedia page on stress instead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_stress

Then ask me if you have any further questions.

::emp::

pinchee likes this.
  3. pinchee

pinchee Member

4. Mark23

Mark23 Member

Haven't read the book, but she's probably referring to your state of mind. Just change your state of mind in response to your brain producing chemicals when you get stressed, and you can use them to your advantage. No need to read a book about it. I doubt there's solid research with test results on the subject anywhere.