Case Study Using City, State and Zip to generate 'local' sales

Discussion in 'Case Studies and Journals' started by Anaconda, Apr 2, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

@Sara mentioned having had some success with creating sites which used the city, state and zip in posts. The tool she used was Serp Shaker. I didn't want to buy another tool but I have a WP plugin I thought might do a similar job - Super Bulk Post Maker - http://www.wp-sbpm.com/ - great tool, does lots of stuff.

1. Identify niche
    2. Find product (using Shareasale this time)
    3. Buy domain
    4 Create Homepage
    5. Add related products from ebay using phpBay to Homepage
    6. Add related products using Amazon Native shopping Ads to Homepage
    7. Copy the homepage (code) into SPBM to create posts with the City, State Zip in the Title and twice in the post.
    8. Add new Category for RSS - as per some directions in @shaqattaq excellent post to keep the site updating.
    9. Backlinking/Indexing-
    Use 301 Ranker (new toy) to create 250 redirects, Ping and Index.
    RankerX
    Use Wicked Article Creator (WAC) to find 100 articles relating to niche
    Upload to WordAi and spin, download and bulk upload to RankerX
    Create backlinking project over 20 days.​
    Use LinkIndexr to Index every page
    http://pingsitemap.com
    http://pingomatic.com

I've been mulling this over for the last few days, then I thought it might make an interesting case study and perhaps easier for the newbies to implement than some of the other threads which require knowledge of coding or programming.

I'm up to Step 9, the site has been crawled already and has 2 pages showing in Google. I don't honestly know if all the backlinking is required but I thought I'd throw everything at it since I have some toys that are under utilized.

There is a very good possibility I'll get deindexed straight out of the gate so I've invested a whole 88 cents in a domain from namecheap.

If anyone wants to try this, I've attached a file of the City, State, Zip to save you the time. I don't guarantee it's accurate but is should be close.

Attached Files:

nanexo, cardine and shaqattaq like this.
  2. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

This is very cool! I was unaware of sbpm. I checked out the video on the sales page and see that it definitely has A LOT of potential. Combined with a mass keyword tool such as keywordshitter you could easily have thousands of posts targeting obscure long-tails created or dripped.

I really like the angle of including geo data. Location based SERVICE keywords are super hot, but why not products as well?

I also really like the idea of Amazon native shopping ads. Let Amazon figure out what to sell and let them close the sale.

Have you used spun text in the sbpm post content as well? Are you dripping the sbpm posts?

Great case study, I look forward to the results :)

Anaconda likes this.
  3. Anaconda

On this occasion I didn't spin the post much because it's 3,000 words and it needs to read well. It is possible to spin that much but it depends on the hosting account or server. If I was spinning something this big I do much smaller chunks, like 100-200 at a time or it brings the server to it's knees. The beauty of SBPM is that I can run it later with spun content and providing I'm using the same category/keywords I can chose to overwrite the old posts. It's a great way to get fresh content. This time I also blasted the whole 700 out - normally I'd schedule them but I'm not expecting the site to last long.

I spun the keywords for ebay and Amazon ads :)

I know products work with SBPM - just never used locations up until now. You'd need to target the products tho or you'd end up with a site with a million posts.
    {Looking for|Get|Hunting for} that {iPhone|Samsung} Case in %%keyword%% .

4. Anaconda

2 days in and not much to report. Now have the basic pages indexed in Google and the site has been crawled by Googlebot - (700+). I haven't set up the articles on RankerX yet since I got sidetracked checking some old accounts, which have now been added to RankerX. I'm spinning up a storm with WordAi and I should be able to get RankerX set up tomorrow.

Next step with be to start spinning the 700 pages using SBPM to see if I can get a bot feeding frenzy going.

5. shaqattaq

shaqattaq Active Member

What's wrong with a million pages? Just drip out 500 per day for 13 years. :) I think that SBPM is ideal for content saturation. Definitely something I'm going to pick up when I'm able to.

6. Anaconda

I don't have the hosting packages for a million pages but I've certainly done over 200k, but dynamic pages - do they count? LOL

I will spin the page but it will take a day or more time to get it right. I like swapping images in and out align left|right, a nice big video spin, creating bullet points etc.

HTML:
    {<b>P1</b>,<b>P2</b>,<b>P3</b>,<b>P4</b>,<b>P5</b>|<i>P1</i>,<i>P2</i>,<i>P3</i >,<i>P4</i>,<i>P5</i>|<b><i>P1</i></b>,<b><i>P2</i></b>,<b><i>P3</i></b>,<b><i>P 4</i></b>,<b><i>P5</i></b>|P1,P2,P3,P4,P5|<ol><li>P1</li><li>P2</li><li>P3</li><li>P4</ li><li>P5</li></ol>|<ol><li><b>P1</b></li><li><b>P2</b></li><li><b>P3</b></li><li><b >P4</b></li><li><b>P5</b></li></ol>|<ol><li><i>P1</i></li><li><i>P2</i></li><li><i>P3 </i></li><li><i>P4</i></li><li><i>P5</i></li></ol>|<ol><li><b><i>P1</i></b></li><li><b><i>P2</i></b></li><li><b><i>P3</i></b></li><li><b><i>P4</i></b></li><li><b><i>P 5</i></b></li></ol>|<ul><li>P1</li><li>P2</li><li>P3</li><li>P4</li><li>P5</li></ul>|<ul ><li><b>P1</b></li><li><b>P2</b></li><li><b>P3</b></li><li><b>P4</b></li><li><b>P 5</b></li></ul>|<ul><li><i>P1</i></li><li><i>P2</i></li><li><i>P3</i></li><li><i>P4</i ></li><li><i>P5</i></li></ul>|<ul><li><b><i>P1</i></b></li><li><b><i>P2</i></b></li> <li><b><i>P3</i></b></li><li><b><i>P4</i></b></li><li><b><i>P5</i></b></li></ul>|<center><ol><li>P1</li><li>P2</li><li>P3</li><li>P4</li><li>P5</li></ol></center>|<center> <ol><li><b>P1</b></li><li><b>P2</b></li><li><b>P3</b></li><li><b>P4</b></li><li><b >P5</b></li></ol></center>|<center><ol><li><i>P1</i></li><li><i>P2</i></li><li><i>P3</ i></li><li><i>P4</i></li><li><i>P5</i></li></ol></center>|<center><ol><li><b><i>P1</i> </b></li><li><b><i>P2</i></b></li><li><b><i>P3</i></b></li><li><b><i>P4</i></b></li ><li><b><i>P5</i></b></li></ol></center>|<center><ul><li>P1</li><li>P2</li><li>P3</li> <li>P4</li><li>P5</li></ul></center>|<center><ul><li><b>P1</b></li><li><b>P2</b></li> <li><b>P3</b></li><li><b>P4</b></li><li><b>P5</b></li></ul></center>|<center><ul><li ><i>P1</i></li><li><i>P2</i></li><li><i>P3</i></li><li><i>P4</i></li><li><i>P5</i></li> </ul></center>|<center><ul><li><b><i>P1</i></b></li><li><b><i>P2</i></b></li><li><b ><i>P3</i></b></li><li><b><i>P4</i></b></li><li><b><i>P5</i></b></li></ul></center >}
    Throw that into the Best Spinner if you have it and spin in the HTML tab. Spinning can be interesting :rolleyes:

7. Anaconda

6 days in and 98 pages indexed, no traffic. I've only just had time to set up a RankerX campaign and I've not spun any of the 700 pages on the site with the location. I probably won't bother now that it's getting indexed.

As it's an experiment I can't see the site staying in the Google index for very long but you never can tell what Bing will do. I will probably just clone the site and spin the next one. I think I can clone the RankerX campaign and then just use the new urls.

8. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bender Bending Rodríguez Senior Member

Very interested in this. Gonna send you a PM about SBPM.

Anaconda likes this.
  9. Anaconda

Google 355 pages indexed - 9 clicks. Bing not indexed. No sales.

10. Anaconda

Google 650 pages indexed - 17 clicks. Bing 1 page indexed. No Sales

nanexo and Wazza like this.
  11. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like there is definitely promise since you are getting pages indexed and clicks. Is content still dripping out?

12. Anaconda

The only content dripping out is from the RSS feed for movers and shakers which is of little value because I haven't figured out how @shaqattaq adds the extra content under each post. I'm tempted to clone the site and do a better job of it by spinning each post.

13. ...

... Active Member

There's probably a plugin out there somewhere that could do something like that. But how would that be relevant to the local city state and zip? Or are you doing the movers and shakers and appending the locations at the beginning or end of each post?

14. Anaconda

@... it's not relevant to the locations - it's just to keep a little drip feeding going. Realistically the site has only been live for 10 days so I'm probably doing ok to have so many posts indexed. Maybe I should spin the original post and let it drip feed - I'd end up with 2 posts to all the locations promoting the same product but I could add images and videos etc. I might try that if I get time over the weekend.

15. ...

... Active Member

I was thinking more along the lines of adding new product and location combinations. If you have 700 locations you could post 100 posts per day with "Product Location" and drip out a new product each week.

Anaconda likes this.
  16. Bender Bending Rodríguez

The RSS content, even though it is not unique, is what is causing your site to be indexed.

When Wordpress publishes a post, it pings Google. Google then drops Googlebot on the new post, which cause it to re-crawl your site. Posting more stuff more often equals more crawls. That in turn equals to more indexation.

A search engine does 3 things: it crawls, indexes, and returns results to queries. For a site that's crawled to be indexed, it just needs to meet Google's quality guidelines and importance threshold (pagerank).

So, IMO, using a tool like WP Robot to spin the RSS feed wouldn't help you much. You won't get any more value out of the "unique" content than the syndicated content.

[edit]Dude, I just looked at your site again. There's 797 pages on your sitemap and 662 pages indexed. That's a 83% index rate. That's pretty good for a site as young as yours. If you want a higher index rate, add links to other posts in your posts.

For example, create a PHP code that lists 4 random posts from within the category and add it to the sidebar or end of the articles. That'll increase your indexation right there. If you don't know how to do this, you can get someone on Fiverr to do it for a few bucks but I'm pretty sure the code's available for copy and paste on Google. Title the list "related articles" or "nearby cities" and it'll look pretty natural.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Anaconda likes this.
  17. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

You will get more potential ranking opportunities. Google will index duplicate content, but it almost never actually ranks duplicate content. Even curated duplicate content still struggles to rank.

18. Bender Bending Rodríguez

Oh yeah, that. Never thought OP wanted to rank for non-local keywords.

19. Anaconda

@Bender Bending Rodríguez - Of course I could just use the plugin I have already installed called ":Advanced Random Posts Widget" :) Thanks for the reminder.

Yep - indexing and traffic are 2 totally different things. It's why I'm humming and haa'ing over either overwriting the current pages with unique (Turing spun) content or adding a whole new set of 700 location pages with the same product but with different, niche related content.

24 clicks from Google - 205 Unique Visitors.

20. Anaconda

@shaqattaq THANKS! I'll holler if I have problems, no doubt I will LOL.