What Are Your Goals for 2016?

Discussion in 'Apex Lounge' started by cardine, Jan 4, 2016.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

It's that time of year! It's the time that many people are setting resolutions, and people are also setting goals.

@emp did a good job talking about how to properly set goals, and I think that the best goals to post here are the type that are specific, and can be updated through a Case Study or Journal. As great as goals like "make $X" are, there is very little "why" or "how". A better goal might be "make $X with website X" or "turn website Y into a site that makes $Z".

So I'll post a couple goals of my own for 2016:

1. Build Apex Forum into the premier place people go to for high quality online business and internet marketing discussion. (Journal)
    2. Release Article Forge and make it the WordAi of article generation. (Journal coming soon...)
    3. Move into new offices in the Inner Harbor and grow from 5 to 10 software developers.
    4. Release WordAi Version 4 and WordAi Foreign Language Spinner Version 2
    5. Release a major new upgrade to Microsite Masters
    6. Release at least one new SEO related product not including the ones mentioned above

I'll be updating periodically in this thread with progress and any updates or revisions.

So what are your goals for 2016?

mstchr and megodon like this.
  2. Paul

Paul Member

Lost of goals Cardine! I would say maybe a few goals too many? You're off to a great start with this forum but it will pbb already take a huge effort to really grow Apex forum. With other forums I've seen that it becomes a lot more difficult to manage when the user numbers increase and annoying people start to come in (you're not the only one of course running this forum so maybe I should just shut up :)). Anyways, best of luck with achieving your goals this year!

megodon likes this.
  3. cardine

If it were just me I would agree entirely, but a lot of these goals are very much so team efforts.

Right now while @megodon and I (and @dzianis!) are working on making Apex Forum awesome, I'm also working closely with @khpatel4991, @godcat, @$R$, and a couple others to do a kick ass job getting Article Forge ready for launch.

So the completion of a lot of those goals will depend very heavily on:
    But your point is well taken - one of my resolutions for this year will be to stay focused on one thing at a time. So I won't be working on all of those things at once - rather I will be working on only one or two at a time. So work on WordAi Version 4 will not start until at least something on my plate right now is cleared up.

Definitely - and as Apex Forum grows the number of people watching over it will grow as well.

All great points :)

@Paul: What are your goals for 2016?

Paul and megodon like this.
  4. Paul

Paul Member

Great reply. My goals for 2016:

1) focus 80% of my time on two of my sites with the most potential. I have around 20 'real' websites that are making me money (as in, at least a few hundred per month) so this will be a tough, but doable goal. Most of the 20 earners are pretty passive so that makes it easier

2) Systemize my business more for easier outsourcing. This means noting down most of my tasks, making screenhots and screener videos. I've already started this last year by writing manuals for my VA and writers. It's time-consuming at the start but I expect it will pay off later.

It also means a more systemized approach to things like updating my Wordpress sites and making regular backups. This is something I'm pretty sloppy with so that needs to improve

3) More networking, both on- and offline! I think I'm spending way too much time of the day behind a computer screen. I don't like the traditional networking events but I do like to socialize and discussing business (with a few beers on the side, preferably). I went to Barcelona last summer to a digital nomad event (http://www.tropicalmba.com/dc/) and that was pretty cool so I might do a bit more of travelling/events

4) Monetary goal: I always like to have a monetary goal for the year but it should have some substance. Still deciding what my financial goal will be this year.

You won't say but it took me quite a bit of time to write this, always good to note down your goals!

emp, megodon and cardine like this.
  5. emp

emp Senior Member

So...

IM / SEO / Web projects

Games site (Article on the concept and Journal)
    This is my major project right now and for the foreseeable future.
    Not going into a lot of detail right here, as I have covered a lot of ground in the journal and article. (And will continue to do so)

Drone site
    Following some drone news, flipping candidate (I hope)

SaaS project
    I am mulling this over for a while now, still on the backburner.

Stomach balloon site
    Getting uncomfortable with the number of projects? Don't be, This is completely passive at the moment.
    The site covers my hosting expenses, but not much more (unlikely to grow much, too)
    I have a few changes in mind, but nothing urgent or too time-consuming.
    Will open a journal for this, but there will not be much activity :D

Health

Lose weight and get back into a fitness regime.
    Recurring thing, this.​

Work

Get a job
    Well, this might be against the grain here, but living in zurich, Switzerland is hella expensive.
    I got a family with 2 kids to feed, and no, I am not yet at the level my IM projects can support this.
    (Don't worry, I am not talking flipping burgers here)

Get papers
    Grabbing all the certs I can while I am in between jobs. PMP and Google, more specifically.​

mind

Coding
    Get back into code. 10 years in management now, so the distance to the actual code got more and more pronounced.
    We are talking Python (my crush at the moment), PHP, HTML5 / CSS3 / Javascript​

Drawing
    Very weird goal, but yeah, I wanna get back into drawing more.​

These are overarching, abstract goals. (There is also some more, but those are too private to share)

Putting them into more concise, 3 month goals is next.

::emp::

6. James

James Member

I've only got 2 goals for 2016:

Learn to code - I really want to sharpen my knowledge of front-end & back-end development. Becoming a proficient developer who is up to date with the latest technologies will open many more doors for me in my current & future business ventures. I've got nothing but time on my hands and have been going ham on this already with great results, excited to see where I end up at the end of 2016.

Network more - I'm pretty shy and reserved in real life (typical, right?). Going to really make an effort to step outside of my comfort zone this year and attend meetups and other similar networking events to connect with people doing great things. Also about time that I ramp up my networking efforts online as well.

emp, cardine and megodon like this.
  7. cardine

I'm seeing a theme here. Who knows... we might have to do a meetup of our own!

megodon likes this.
  8. ...

... Active Member

Saw the goal thread for Feb and decided to post here first.

Create another site in my niche. My main site is an ecommerce site and I want to create a subscription box site to go with it. A couple other people have been doing it in my niche and it sounds like a good idea. More revenue and less reliance on the big G.

Also try to move from dropship to buying wholesale. Not sure if I have enough volume to do it yet but I should probably look into it.

Obviously also try to continue to improve rankings of my main site and the blogs that feed up to it. I have review sites that are basically tier 1 properties that help with ranking and also make money themselves. So I will make more of those that target more longtail searches.

Create another SEO site outside of my main niche. My niche is good but it has some things that could make it possibly not evergreen.

Learn more and try more. I have a couple sites that make money but only one makes enough to live on. I have not been able to replicate that success so there is always something in the back of my head where I worry the site will tank and I won't be able to do it over again. I need to have a process where I feel secure in my ability to create a site that makes money.

cardine likes this.
  9. Hernan

Hernan Member

1. Get one of my companies to $150.000 per month in revenue and other of my companies to $50.000 per month in revenue.
    2. Brand myself as an expert in the funnel creation and conversion optimization space.
    3. Gather 3.000 subscribers on my own list and 10.000 on the other two companies combined.
    4. Get 500 members into my new membership site.
    5. $100.000 per month of personal revenue.
    6. Read 60 books.
    7. Travel to 3 international conferences.
    8. Gain 5 kgs in muscle and excercise 3 times a week (minimum).
    9. Meditate daily.
    10. Purchase 3 real estate assets by the end of the year.

:)

mstchr and cardine like this.
  10. cardine

How big are both companies currently?
    That's a lot of books - over a book a week! What type of books do you read? Do you have any recommendations?
    I've been working out 4-5 times a week every week since April. Since then I've been putting on 1-2lbs a month of muscle and I'm feeling better I've ever felt before. I didn't put any personal goals in this thread, but this is something I highly recommend everyone do, especially if you spend all day in front of a computer like I do.

11. Hernan

Hernan Member

Hey C!

1. Company A is around $50.000/$60.000 a month now. Company B is at $15.000/mo mark. I want to 3x their income by the end of the year.
    2. Yup I know, but reading 1 hour a day I think it's achievable.
    3. What kind of workout have you been doing? I've been mostly into calisthenics.

... and cardine like this.
  12. cardine

Nice, best of luck on achieving those goals! :)
    Yeah I think that is reasonable. For some of last year I would listen to audiobooks on my way to and from my office. I'd get maybe 30-40 minutes of "reading" a day during each weekday and would get through 1-2 books a month. I listen to music now a lot instead, but still go back to audiobooks every now and then if I find a good book that I want to read.
    I've been doing mostly resistance training and cardio. This morning was "pull day" for me so I did regular (calisthenics) pullups, TRX pullups, assisted rows, one arm rows, and bicep curls. Yesterday was cardio, tomorrow is going to be lower body day, and Thursday is going to be "push day".

13. ...

... Active Member

I'm jelly. What type of businesses are they?

14. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

Business
    • nurture the three physical product lines that I'm currently focusing on
    • re-learn how to spam teh interwebs
    • create at least one subscription box
    • co-author a book and market the fuck out of it

Personal
    • learn the basics of a couple foreign languages
    • get my beach body back
    • learn how to barrel roll while bodysurfing

cardine likes this.
  15. cardine

What type of book are you thinking? Like something business related?

16. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

Yeah man, it's a how-to for people getting into a specific industry. It's sorely needed and everything out there is rubbish. Unfortunately even though I can write most of it myself because I know a lot about the industry, I'm not technically qualified to write it and my name and qualifications wouldn't hold much water with the target market. And the person I know who is most qualified is also very busy.

So what's probably going to happen is I'm going to write a lot of it and give it to the co-author to correct and add their expertise where I can't provide it. So the writing and marketing will be on me, but the upsell training, which is where a lot of the money is, will be on the co-author. I'll market it and then either we split all book and upsell income evenly or I will keep most of the book sales and the other person will keep most of the after-sales. Probably the first option.

cardine likes this.
  17. ...

... Active Member

@mstchr I have been following your journal and I am hoping to create a subscription box this year too. Is it going to be the same products you are importing in your journal?

mstchr likes this.
  18. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

It's not...in the case of both of those products it's kinda one-off-ish. It would be like trying to do a subscription box for a toaster. OK not that bad but yeah they're not a good match for that model.

19. mstchr

mstchr Active Member

@cardine thanks for inquiring on this too...I wasn't planning on doing anything about this until mid-year but this inspired me to map it all out this afternoon and send the co-author my marketing strategy, profit-sharing proposal, and a table of contents to the book. She's 100% in, pumped, and wants to commit some time to it starting sooner than I'd thought.

[​IMG]

cardine likes this.
  20. cardine

Here were my thoughts on 2016:

I don't think we are quite there yet, but we are very much so on our way! Apex Forum had a lot of great events this year, grew dramatically, and has a very nice core group of people right now. The opportunity is completely there but I wouldn't quite call this "finished" yet.
    I would consider this a success. Article Forge was released (albeit a couple months later than I had hoped) and right now Article Forge is generating more revenue and has more users than WordAi did when WordAi was just as new. So in total I feel very good about how Article Forge did in 2016.
    We moved into a kickass office located on the water (literally on a pier) right in the heart of the city. On the hiring side that was a little too ambitious - although if you include people who have confirmed to be starting this summer we are at 7-8 developers right now.
    Not quite! I was really hopeful we would get to this by the end of the year but I feel very good about the reason for the delay. An area of AI research we were pursuing ended up showing way more promise than we thought it would which led to several additional months spent on these new algorithms. We will be releasing Version 4 very early this year and I think our users will find the delay will be well worth it.
    This goal was probably the biggest victim of our inability to scale up programmers. The maintenance required for Article Forge when it first launched was slightly more intense than expected, and since we weren't able to increase to 10 software developers we just weren't able to get a major update in (although we made lots of incremental updates). This will definitely be coming this year.
    This was supposed to be the SEO marketplace, and although we didn't quite hit our deadline for this I feel very good about its current development and I'm excited to see it launched.

In total I feel fairly good about how I did on the year. Most of the "failures" are things we will be finishing by the end of this quarter, so we only missed on timing by a little bit - although @Paul might have been right about these goals being maybe a tad too ambitious! On the hiring side of things our timing was a little off - we couldn't comfortably hire new employees until Article Forge was released, and by the time it was released most of the people we were interviewing wouldn't be ready to start until 2017. But considering we didn't have the number of programmers I thought we were going to have, I feel very good about everything we accomplished in 2016.