Question What is the Best Project Management Tool?

Discussion in 'Building Your Business' started by cardine, Feb 3, 2016.

Share This Page

1. cardine

cardine Administrator Staff Member

For software development we use Pivotal Tracker to organize work and it has been a great tool for us.

I'm now trying to decide on a similar tool for our non programming workflow. Pivotal Tracker is great, but it is explicitly for programming. I've considered things like Trello or some other Kanban thing, but I haven't decided on what the best lightweight app would be for managing tasks on a team in a non programming environment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tool like this for a marketing team, content team, or really any non programming team?

2. emp

emp Senior Member

Trello is good, as you can set it up the way you like to do things.
    What we did (in a mixed project of programming and non) was to set
    up the columns as workflow stages,
    from left to right.
    Then in the meetings, we'd project it on the wall and move the tasks around.
    Very nice.

But :
    The real secret ultra great tool is a weekly meeting.

::emp::

cardine likes this.
  3. cardine

It's funny you say that because we did a bunch of "what recommendations would you have" type meetings and one of the most consistent things I heard was "more meetings". I was very anti-meeting a year ago but I'm starting to see now as the number of people here gets bigger how important it is that everyone is on the same page, and a quick formal sit down is usually the easiest way to accomplish that.

Unless anyone has any other recommendations, Trello it is!

4. Zamp

Zamp New Member

The only real competitors to Trello that I have used is Basecamp. I am in Salesforce all day so we ended up building a custom tool to manage all our projects/relationships. We took ideas from Trello, Basecamp, Jira, and the Salesforce Agile Accelerator.

cardine likes this.
  5. MatthewWoodward

MatthewWoodward Active Member

megodon likes this.
  6. jamesbondjr

jamesbondjr New Member

Seems powerful. Far better than flagging freakin emails in the mailbox

7. darnoldi

darnoldi Active Member

Take a look at bitrix24. I have been very impressed with their tools so far.

cardine likes this.
  8. cardine

We ended up going with Trello (and the ultra great tool of more meetings!)

So far, so good :)

9. emp

emp Senior Member

What flavor of project management do you do?

SCRUM?

::emp::

10. cardine

For software development we use SCRUM. And for software development we use Pivotal Tracker as our project management tool and it works very well for that purpose. Trello is only being used for managing marketing tasks, and for that we don't adhere to any specific type of project management, partially because the "marketing team" consists solely of me and @megodon.

11. Nicky Papers

Nicky Papers Member

I've been really happy using https://dapulse.com/. It's built for SCRUM lovers in mind. It's super versatile for running an agency business and they have reliable email triggers and a mobile app.

For software development, I've used http://www.redmine.org/ and have been happy with the results. It's super basic, but has everything you need to document everything that's been done, pending, and on deck for future updates. Great for road mapping feature sets.

cardine likes this.
  12. harryvent

harryvent New Member

We heard about Trello, it good tool for use. Recently move onto Apptivo for project management, it suitable to manage our development team, etc. We handle project very easily, software features awesome and pretty good choice for management.

13. pinchee

pinchee Member

I use Trello heavily. I've used Asana, Teamwork, Basecamp, Org-mode... but Trello is the best for me. It's flexible enough and powerful enough to everything I need, but I could see how some teams need something more traditional like Asana. The key to using Trello is that you have design boards to fit your workflow. I usually do not use just backlog/todo/done lists. I create lists for specific purposes, I store resources like specs, docs, environment variables, etc on cards, I create lists by topic... anyway, it works for me.

14. propipper

propipper Member

For task management, we've been using Producteev. It's worked well for teams and individual projects. A little bit of a learning curve but nothing too major. If you can live with no 24 hour support and not changing the colors or putting your logo on there then it's free.

15. Youreaturs

Youreaturs Member

16. Halo

Halo New Member

We use https://www.myintervals.com/ for our project management system and have been pretty happy with it overall. It was built by a web development company when they couldn't find a PM system they liked.

The desktop version is great but their mobile version could use some improvements.

17. Daniel@30

Daniel@30 Member

It depends on what results you'd like to achieve and what problems you're facing. I'd recommend using Epicflow together with your existing solutions if you have to manage a multi-project environment. Epicflow SaaS integrates into MS Project and adds analytical value to it.

HTH!

Regards,
    PHP Developer London

18. Waiverdigital

Waiverdigital Member

In simple, you can use your google sheet. Or you can choose trello