Which ecommerce software do you use?

Discussion in 'Building Your Business' started by JHustle, Feb 21, 2016.

Share This Page

1. JHustle

JHustle New Member

I'm just getting into the ecommerce game and there sure are ALOT of options when it comes to ecommerce software.

Shopify, Big Commerce, Open Cart, Magento, Woocommerce etc Just to name a few... I personally chose shopify and my reasoning was simple.

I don't have much capital to hire experts/programmers (which I am not), furthermore I'm not interested in learning the ins and outs of ecommerce softwares, I'm more interested in working on my business. Shopify seemed like the most "out of the box" solution that could get my store running ASAP.

However, thinking further down the line, when I have more capital to invest in the eCommerce site itself, I started wondering which software is "superior". What are the benefits and negatives of the respective softwares?

So what made you choose the eCommerce software you chose?

2. ...

... Active Member

Open Cart for me... it's not bad at all. It is simple to use and it worked out of the box but it is hardly anything special. Though maybe your ecommerce software isn't supposed to be anything special.

I did not look at Shopify, Bigcommerce, or Volusion when I decided because I was a cheapass and only was looking at free things. Besides that Shopify rubbed me the wrong way with charging 2% just to use a different gateway.

For the free ones Magento looked like a full time job to get working and I hate using WordPress for non blogs. Open Cart was the last one standing I guess and it was very easy to get running fast.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. Simseen

Simseen Member

WooCommerce for me - I've used it to all my ecommerce project.

4. Golan

Golan Established Member

My friends vouch for Prestashop, I want to try it on my next project.

dzianis likes this.
  5. Adrian59

Adrian59 New Member

I prefer Magento

6. emp

emp Senior Member

Starting with woocommerce (for a friend)

Now just get his host to upgrade php

::emp::

7. propipper

propipper Member

It depends on what you're selling, to who, pricing structure(s), how many items, etc. I personally use WooCommerce and Drupal Commerce - although I know DC can be a resource hog.

You're going about it the right way - start with something free and then scale up when your business scales up. Need to look at things like are you selling to different pricing groups - ie. wholesalers buy at price A while retailers buy at price B. Same product, depending on their roles is what price structure they see. When you hit the big time, you can go with Magento. Great platform - I used their community version on a couple different live e-commerce sites and no complaints.

Good luck.

8. EnTerPlays

EnTerPlays New Member

Im currently using shopify, have used woocomm in the past tho

9. michael22

michael22 New Member

Shopify if I don't have money and want to try something new. If it doesn't work just abandon it before the trial ends and that's it, if it works pay shopify and your done.
    WooCommerce for bigger projects, really customizable + great addons and its WordPress wich is nice.

10. emp

emp Senior Member

Finished the woocommerce project and got to say, I am pleasantly surprised.

Easy setup, easy tweaking, easy enough user interface.

::emp::

11. williamsmith

williamsmith New Member

Online shopping or eCommerce is increasing with the passage of time. Lots of us used eCommerce for online earning and also earn handsome amount in form of commission. Most of eCommerce websites are developed on Magento CMS but it has complicated UI. Many of us hired designers and developers like cashback site designers ileaddigital.com/services/web-design/affiliate-cms-development type guys to develop a professional website. There are lots of advantages of eCommerce like time and money saving. Companies can also provide their services immediately and to receive complaints from customers. This leads to better customer service and increase customer satisfaction. With these advantages of e-business is important that companies look at their traditional forms of business, and have found alternatives to combine the concept of e-business. This will not only bring huge profits, but also create a long list of satisfied customers.

12. sanjoxs

sanjoxs New Member

Woocommerce easy and many many free plugins...

13. sites

sites Active Member

Some points which may help you to make a decision:

A few years back, Magento and PrestaShop were popular.

Shopify & WooCommerce are more popular nowadays.

It is hard to find a good Magento developer.

Shopify & WooCommerce seem to be easier to customize, compared to Magento.

14. Anaconda

Anaconda Established Member

Shopify is the pits. The absolute basics like being able to sort products in some way other than by asc or des is not available. Products are placed in Collections but Collections are not part of the Products Page. There is no flexibility. The basics have been requested for 7 years or more and have not been done. Support is fast but they can't resolve much because the functionality isn't in the Shopify system. Support will usually point you in the direction of an add-on. Most add-ons are a monthly fee. Considering you pay $30 or $80 a month, I'd say save your money and go with Woo-Commerce ... so much better

15. MAL101

MAL101 Member

I use shopify.