Will Google ever devalue homepage links?

Discussion in 'SEO and Marketing' started by murkr, Feb 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. murkr

murkr Member

This just popped in my head and was wondering your thoughts.

Do you think Google will ever devalue homepage links?

Because if you think about it, homepage links to other sites are often
    • PBN links
    • Sponsored website
    • Partners

and google doesn't like any of those links passing link juice onto another page and right now those are the most valuable backlinks.

2. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. I think they did it a long time ago. Years ago I used to buy a link from a guy on his homepage back when they were still updating PR. It was a PR 6 link for $25. They dropped him all the way down to PR 3. Same thing happened to my site. I had a PR 4 and I was doing a link exchange with a PR 5 site and they dropped me down to PR 2. So they definitely scrutinize homepage links a lot more.

If you do everything else right and you don't have $1 hosting, or commercial anchor text pointing to a suspiciously weak site (in Google's eyes), then Google will probably eventually get around to looking at sites with homepage links. Some people are letting the links slide off the homepage onto page 2 now just to be safe.

3. murkr

murkr Member

Interesting, that was before I was into SEO, I only read about PR lol.

Yeah my PBN setups are safe. I forsee in the future Google doing something about this. but how long I don't know, I'm too new into SEO.

If they devalue them in the future I guess it's not so bad, because then we will be able to reorient our PBNs so that the links aren't from the homepage.

But if they penalize our PBNs that will suck because over the next few years I plan to invest a lot of my profits into PBNs. But since they are all on separate premium hosts, different whois, only linking to 2-3 money sites per PBN I don't see how they'd be able to penalize them because they would be penalizing millions of legitimate sites too.

4. Slymeasy

Slymeasy Member

The way I understand it they are all about analyzing patterns. They do a manual review for a site and ding it then any site that is ranked in a similar fashion would be less trusted than it was before. Maybe it's just a slight loss in rankings or the similar pattern triggers a manual review, IDK.

The last big thing I remember Google doing manually with the algorithm is lowering the percentage for what they considered acceptable anchor text ratio and I know they are beginning to scrutinize commercial intent keywords much more so than before. If you really think about it it's very rare for a person to get exactly the anchor text they need for making money/sales naturally.

Then of course they are also looking at how your site actually performs on Google. Your Click-through, bounce rate, and success rate etc..

murkr likes this.
  5. Mark23

Mark23 Member

6. RenaeFab

RenaeFab New Member

No, I don't think Google will ever target home pages of websites and devalue those links any more than they would devalue them on any other page.

7. Saba Shahid

Saba Shahid New Member

lol you know whats the problem I am facing I have been running this site for like 8 years and still cant see my homepage on front page I can see other pages though and I really need some advice.

8. Koldiuk5

Koldiuk5 New Member

If you can outreach link building it's much better and effective.